Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried I have made the wrong university choice. Would love some advice please! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Thank you for reading my dilemma,
    I am very very bad at making decisions, I have accepted a place at UCL to study psychology but I am terribly worried I won't get on well at a London university because of the extremely high cost and the unhelpful atmosphere. As well as this I do not love Psychology, I have chosen it as there is simply no course that seems to suit me. I am also concerned about its reputation for poor employment statistics. Basically, I don't wish to rack up an unthinkable amount of debt to come out with an unusable degree (not dead keen on being a psychologist).
    So to round up kind people of TSR am I stupid to go to university, and if I am what on earth do I do instead?
    Or are you all having these sorts of worries and I am thinking too negatively about it all?

Thank you so much for you help!

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to a university you don't like but more importantly don't do a course you have no interest in cause you'll just drop out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm avoiding London universities because of the same issues (just finished AS), I wouldn't waste time and money in university if I were you, I'd take a year out to figure out what career you want and get a job to save up money, better spending a year out than wasting time and money on uni

ReputationRep:
    I'm finishing up a psychology degree that I chose just because I didn't know what else to do. I wouldn't recommend it - I've learned to enjoy it but 3 years is a long time to just be 'meh' about a subject. Also, I should add, I'm going straight back to uni to do a radiotherapy degree because I know I've always wanted to work in healthcare. I know it seems difficult now, but it might be easier for you to drop out now and reapply later than wrangle with student finance about getting funding again and changing courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I assume you've just taken a gap year?

Well just to clear the air I know of people who have done 2 consecutive gap years (volunteering in Israel) who are now happily studying at university, so don't think you're sitting on a time bomb to make a decision about this. If you realise you don't have a passion for a degree or any employment which would stem from it, do not enroll on the course

ReputationRep:
    1. Adjustment on results day could be an option
    2. Gap year? If you need longer to think about it

ReputationRep:
    As letsbehonest said a Gap year is a good choice if you need more time to think about it, there is no need to rush off just yet - I know a lot of people who have taken gap years.

The money issue is indeed a very legitimate worry but if really necessary there are tonnes of universities that will be available on clearing/adjustment, definitely some in a city/town that you may feel more comfortable financially with living in (I went through clearing myself and got into York uni!). Saying all that, my brother goes to a university in London and whilst he has struggled from time to time that was mainly because he was quite bad with his money and not because he didn't have enough. He was able to sustain himself with the help of a part-time job.

It's a bit early to decide you don't want to go to university at all, it is stressful but you're going to have to give yourself whatever time is needed to process this decision. Even if it comes down to trying to get on to a completely different course it's worth waiting and you have already accepted now anyway so just ride out the in between time to decide what you will do even if that decision is waiting even longer. Try to think about why you wanted to go in the first place and whether those reasons are still good ones? From what you have said it seems you don't like the course that much but I don't know the history of your thoughts behind this? Are you simply worried that after studying it for a while you'll get bored? You don't want to get trapped in one subject forever? If job prospects are your worry every course has about the same problem, to be honest it all comes down to how YOU make yourself employable (by getting good marks at uni, doing extra curricular activities, picking up hobbies, getting involved at uni with open days maybe or something similar, learning a language if your uni offers that, work experience, LIFE experience etc). If you use your university time well psychology is certainly not the only thing you will be learning. Have you considered maybe a joint course that allows you to switch to just one of the subjects if you decide you don't like the other?

These are just touching on things you need to think about but I hope you've had some useful answers from your post There are probably others before you asking similar questions so look out for those!

Best of luck! (as futile as me telling you is - try not to stress too much)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.