Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A level choices help!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of taking chemistry, applied science and either physics or biology. I'm wondering what sort of degrees I could do with these subjects and also is applied science a recognised A level for universitys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willjenkins1)
    I'm thinking of taking chemistry, applied science and either physics or biology. I'm wondering what sort of degrees I could do with these subjects and also is applied science a recognised A level for universitys.
    If you study physics I suggest you do maths a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    If you study physics I suggest you do maths a level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I was thinking that, do you have any career opinion for my a levels? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking that, do you have any career opinion for my a levels? Thanks
    For chemistry there are a range of careers you could pursue. You're able to find a career in finance, research, drug development, working in a pharmacy etc. Reasons for this are the analytical and mathematical aspects of chemistry (which you are taught at both a level and university but in more depth - clearly).

Obviously studying both chemistry and biology allows you to follow a career with the NHS. Example: a doctor or dentist, though these are highly competitive courses at university.

As far as I'm aware, universities I've looked at when it comes to stem subjects have never asked for applied science. It's always either maths, physics, chemistry or biology specifically. For a quick heads up, most of the courses which offer those careers require an a level in maths

For physics in not sure what career choices are possible, I plan to drop it at A2.

I'm not quite helpful/knowledgeable on this. However I do plan to apply to universities to do a degree in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For chemistry there are a range of careers you could pursue. You're able to find a career in finance, research, drug development, working in a pharmacy etc. Reasons for this are the analytical and mathematical aspects of chemistry (which you are taught at both a level and university but in more depth - clearly).

Obviously studying both chemistry and biology allows you to follow a career with the NHS. Example: a doctor or dentist, though these are highly competitive courses at university.

For physics in not sure what career choices are possible, I plan to drop it at A2.

I'm not quite helpful/knowledgeable on this. However I do plan to apply to universities to do a degree in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to know courses to study I can mention quite a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to know courses to study I can mention quite a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That was helpful thanks and yes please

ReputationRep:
    -Chemistry
    -Chemistry with Management Studies
    -Physical Chemistry
    -Chemical Engineering
    -Medicinal/Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    -Pharmacology
    -Medicine
    -Dentistry
    -Applied Medical Science
    -Biochemistry
    -Biomedical Sciences
    -Neuroscience

There's a vast range of courses to apply for at university involving STEM subjects. The ones in the list above are probably the best available in my opinion and fit perfectly with the subjects you plan on studying for A level

If any of the courses interests you, read more about them and/or try YouTube as some top universities give a short introduction of the course you're interested in. But don't just limit yourself to my list, as I said there are plenty of courses available which might catch your eye

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    -Chemistry
    -Chemistry with Management Studies
    -Physical Chemistry
    -Chemical Engineering
    -Medicinal/Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    -Pharmacology
    -Medicine
    -Dentistry
    -Applied Medical Science
    -Biochemistry
    -Biomedical Sciences
    -Neuroscience

There's a vast range of courses to apply for at university involving STEM subjects. The ones in the list above are probably the best available in my opinion and fit perfectly with the subjects you plan on studying for A level

If any of the courses interests you, read more about them and/or try YouTube as some top universities give a short introduction of the course you're interested in. But don't just limit yourself to my list, as I said there are plenty of courses available which might catch your eye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you that was very helpful which out of these subjects would I least likely need maths a level to get onto the university course?

ReputationRep:
    Applied science isn't worth taking if you're doing separate science a-levels, because there's just going to be too much cross-over involved so universities aren't likely to credit you for it. I'd just take the chemistry, biology and physics.

Maths is quite a nice subject at a-level, it's easy to do well in if you put the time and effort in. It comes more naturally to some people than others but don't let that put you off because it's a well-favoured subject. If you're really not keen on it then it shouldn't hinder you in chemical and biological terms but it begin to restrict you more on a physics and engineering front.

Most chemistry courses will make you do some maths module at university if you haven't done a-level. There are some universities that require maths, but most are reasonably happy with just having another science so there's plenty of options. Biology and related courses are less fussed about maths than the chemistry ones, although some mathematical competence is helpful. Having chemistry is a good subject for doing biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Applied science isn't worth taking if you're doing separate science a-levels, because there's just going to be too much cross-over involved so universities aren't likely to credit you for it. I'd just take the chemistry, biology and physics.

Maths is quite a nice subject at a-level, it's easy to do well in if you put the time and effort in. It comes more naturally to some people than others but don't let that put you off because it's a well-favoured subject. If you're really not keen on it then it shouldn't hinder you in chemical and biological terms but it begin to restrict you more on a physics and engineering front.

Most chemistry courses will make you do some maths module at university if you haven't done a-level. There are some universities that require maths, but most are reasonably happy with just having another science so there's plenty of options. Biology and related courses are less fussed about maths than the chemistry ones, although some mathematical competence is helpful. Having chemistry is a good subject for doing biology.
    Thank you I have a B in maths GCSE and have resist for an a but I still don't want to take it a level thanks for the advice though

ReputationRep:
    Omg I know this is really annoying but I remember there was a website where you could put in your A Levels and it would find courses that you could do from it... and then you could work out career options from that...

I'll have a hunt around for it and if I do find it, I'll edit this post with the link

EDIT: It's this one! http://www.bestcourse4me.com/explore/?Tab=ALevel

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that was very helpful which out of these subjects would I least likely need maths a level to get onto the university course?
    Well from the perspective of an inexperienced AS student, I would say pharmacology, medicine, dentistry, applied medical science and biomedical science. However, for the A level subjects you're planning on doing, maths would be beneficial. But yeah, it isn't necessarily required for those courses but universities will tend to make you do maths for a year if you don't have an A level in maths.

- I would think maths to be a great subject to complement chemistry as it helps you think more logically about problem solving which is in some cases required in chemistry

- I agree with Nymphae and all he said too. Especially the paragraph on applied science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well from the perspective of an inexperienced AS student, I would say pharmacology, medicine, dentistry, applied medical science and biomedical science. However, for the A level subjects you're planning on doing, maths would be beneficial. But yeah, it isn't necessarily required for those courses but universities will tend to make you do maths for a year if you don't have an A level in maths.

- I would think maths to be a great subject to complement chemistry as it helps you think more logically about problem solving which is in some cases required in chemistry

- I agree with Nymphae and all he said too. Especially the paragraph on applied science

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I agree I don't think I'm going to take applied and instead I will take chemistry, biology and either physics or DT thanks for all the help though

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree I don't think I'm going to take applied and instead I will take chemistry, biology and either physics or DT thanks for all the help though
    You will be good with those subjects... Why don't you take 4 AS levels then drop a subject at A2? It's what most do after all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You will be good with those subjects... Why don't you take 4 AS levels then drop a subject at A2? It's what most do after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What subjects would you advice me to take and which one should I drop?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you're good with the subjects you're considering. If you decide to take all 4, drop the one you least enjoy or have gotten the worst grade in for AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think russell group unis would like to see applied science, but I don't really know about the others

If you want to do physics, I would say do maths too - they compliment each other well

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.