Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worse University Experiences? Post away! All rants welcome! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Was on a Foundation Year this year studying Politics and Social Science.

Got an unconditional offer, which I was pleased with, so I decided to go to Keele up North in the Staffs.

Get there, everything sound, no issues with making friends (and a girlfriend) - great nights out on Fresher's week, ladi daa ..

After Fresher's week, all hell breaks loose:

- These three year-three morons start taking food from the fridges, and the fridges on the girls floor. Pizzas, pasta, ketchup, chicken all go disappearing. Uni staff don't do anything about it.

- Fast forward a couple of weeks of general disturbances our kitchen gets wrecked. Dirty pots, pans and cutlery every where; rice and pasta clogging up the sinks that hadn't been drained for weeks; egg crack open on the floor and bins over flowing - typical Uni life apparently, yet Uni staff don't do anything!

- Months go in, mess still gets worse. I was awake one night, early hours of Thursday (3 am) working. I hear the voices of these 3 pricks, shouting and carrying on. Goes quiet, then I hear one of them laughing and then doors slamming. Next morning, I'm woken up at 8:30 by the cleaners: "come check this out" they both say ... there's a long, spotted-**** shaped **** on the toilet - yes ON the toilet where the lid is with all the valves and fitting. Next we find out that the kitchen has been ransacked, pots and pans thrown out the window, rubbish bags that were on the grass close to the entrance door opened up by foxes and rats, bins full to well past the brim, eggs EVERYWHERE, ketchup, mayo, brown sauces on the ceiling, cupboards, ovens; sinks filled with murky water with bits of chicken floating around .... just pure havoc ... Cleaners call Uni staff ... Uni staff close the doors to the kitchen for 2 days ... Yet no one steps forward to complain about the 3 dudes, even though 3-4 of us heard them that night.

- Then, after my ex breaks up with me for reasons I am to blame for, I get attacked my ex friend (neighbour) for NO reason (!) with a lighter and a deodorant can to the face (eyes). I hit him instinctively out of self defence and then EVERYONE turns against me calling me a bully?

- After weeks of thinking and over thinking I decide to move to another dorm - I now realise I should've moved sooner! Spent 5-6 months in complete depression eating pot noodles for lunch and dinner. I was a wreck, I din't know what to do about it, and I'm to proud to go ask for therapy!

- Had a meeting, organised by me, to see this ex prick friend of mine with the Head of Accommodation. Nothing remotely good comes from it. My ex friend was like "I just want to be friends with him again", so I agree we could give it a try, but 4 months after giving my number, I've had no texts or calls, so I can safely call him a massive ****.

So I was a mouse for the rest of my University year ... didn't talk to anyone, barely went on nights out .... :/

What about you guys, can you top this off?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well my worst experience was a 3hr stats lecture, but I think yours tops that.

ReputationRep:
    Losing Iphone in freshers week ... 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some yank waking everyone up at 4am by shouting down the corridor. Wanted to punch her stupid face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Add!ction)
    Some yank waking everyone up at 4am by shouting down the corridor. Wanted to punch her stupid face.
    Some people just don't have any decency or common sense.

ReputationRep:
    Living with people you have no common interests whatsoever with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgy Git)
    Was on a Foundation Year this year studying Politics and Social Science.

Got an unconditional offer, which I was pleased with, so I decided to go to Keele up North in the Staffs.

Get there, everything sound, no issues with making friends (and a girlfriend) - great nights out on Fresher's week, ladi daa ..

After Fresher's week, all hell breaks loose:

- These three year-three morons start taking food from the fridges, and the fridges on the girls floor. Pizzas, pasta, ketchup, chicken all go disappearing. Uni staff don't do anything about it.

- Fast forward a couple of weeks of general disturbances our kitchen gets wrecked. Dirty pots, pans and cutlery every where; rice and pasta clogging up the sinks that hadn't been drained for weeks; egg crack open on the floor and bins over flowing - typical Uni life apparently, yet Uni staff don't do anything!

- Months go in, mess still gets worse. I was awake one night, early hours of Thursday (3 am) working. I hear the voices of these 3 pricks, shouting and carrying on. Goes quiet, then I hear one of them laughing and then doors slamming. Next morning, I'm woken up at 8:30 by the cleaners: "come check this out" they both say ... there's a long, spotted-**** shaped **** on the toilet - yes ON the toilet where the lid is with all the valves and fitting. Next we find out that the kitchen has been ransacked, pots and pans thrown out the window, rubbish bags that were on the grass close to the entrance door opened up by foxes and rats, bins full to well past the brim, eggs EVERYWHERE, ketchup, mayo, brown sauces on the ceiling, cupboards, ovens; sinks filled with murky water with bits of chicken floating around .... just pure havoc ... Cleaners call Uni staff ... Uni staff close the doors to the kitchen for 2 days ... Yet no one steps forward to complain about the 3 dudes, even though 3-4 of us heard them that night.

- Then, after my ex breaks up with me for reasons I am to blame for, I get attacked my ex friend (neighbour) for NO reason (!) with a lighter and a deodorant can to the face (eyes). I hit him instinctively out of self defence and then EVERYONE turns against me calling me a bully?

- After weeks of thinking and over thinking I decide to move to another dorm - I now realise I should've moved sooner! Spent 5-6 months in complete depression eating pot noodles for lunch and dinner. I was a wreck, I din't know what to do about it, and I'm to proud to go ask for therapy!

- Had a meeting, organised by me, to see this ex prick friend of mine with the Head of Accommodation. Nothing remotely good comes from it. My ex friend was like "I just want to be friends with him again", so I agree we could give it a try, but 4 months after giving my number, I've had no texts or calls, so I can safely call him a massive ****.

So I was a mouse for the rest of my University year ... didn't talk to anyone, barely went on nights out .... :/

What about you guys, can you top this off?

This is why I'm gonna go to the gym and bulk up as much as possible and continue with my boxing before I go to uni. If anything like that happens e.g food getting stolen, I'd just beat them up on the spot
    Seriously, I heard if you look intimidating people are less likely to steal from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    This is why I'm gonna go to the gym and bulk up as much as possible and continue with my boxing before I go to uni. If anything like that happens e.g food getting stolen, I'd just beat them up on the spot
    Seriously, I heard if you look intimidating people are less likely to steal from you.
    Bad idea. I hit the guy out of self defence because he sprayed the **** with the lighter in my face. If I'd hit him, like he told all these people, I would've been kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    My first year halls situation was really not good. There were problems in my first year flat all year with people coming back at 3/4am and screaming a lot. I started getting proper anxiety at the thought of having to go and ask them to be quiet. That was fun. :rolleyes:

I should have moved out, but they didn't give you any help with it (so somehow you were supposed to move your stuff out of one flat and give back the keys before you got new keys and moved into a new flat ) so it was a pretty difficult option to go through with. I'm not a confrontational person and it would be noisy and then settle down for a few weeks so I spent most of the year in cycles of wanting to move and convincing myself it wasn't too bad, but this other girl had no problem having a go when the rest of them were being stupidly noisy. Tbh though, it really didn't help because it would just turn into a shouting match with her and this other guy who would sometimes get really aggressive.

It all finally really kicked off around Easter; this girl and the aggressive guy got into an argument, it ended up everyone joining in. This guy was really getting up in this girl's face and even started getting physical pushing her, and the others were all on his side so there were basically 4 of them ganging up on this one poor girl. I agreed that she was right, the way they behaved was out of order, and everyone started having a go at me too. It was really scary, especially as they were pretty drunk. Security ended up coming round to break it up and we all got woken up in the morning by the residence manager who read them all the riot act. Then later on in the day one of the guys had the cheek to come and give me a non-apology, claiming I should have just said something if I was bothered by the noise (other than the 50 million times I did say something, I presume...).

Bad times, and an important lesson in making quicker decisions (if I did it again, I'd move out in an instant the first time instead of putting up with that crap). Though I don't think the uni handled it well, they didn't really do anything except tell them all off even though they had been aware of problems in our flat all year (someone had let a fire extinguisher off at one point and we had security round quite a bit.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgy Git)
    Bad idea. I hit the guy out of self defence because he sprayed the **** with the lighter in my face. If I'd hit him, like he told all these people, I would've been kicked out.
    Did he get kicked out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap. At least there's a story.

I've just finished a foundation year, I didn't make any friends at all and felt horribly isolated, but that's about it (I'm sure things will be better next year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    Did he get kicked out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He didn't get anything, not even a caution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    My first year halls situation was really not good. There were problems in my first year flat all year with people coming back at 3/4am and screaming a lot. I started getting proper anxiety at the thought of having to go and ask them to be quiet. That was fun. :rolleyes:

I should have moved out, but they didn't give you any help with it (so somehow you were supposed to move your stuff out of one flat and give back the keys before you got new keys and moved into a new flat ) so it was a pretty difficult option to go through with. I'm not a confrontational person and it would be noisy and then settle down for a few weeks so I spent most of the year in cycles of wanting to move and convincing myself it wasn't too bad, but this other girl had no problem having a go when the rest of them were being stupidly noisy. Tbh though, it really didn't help because it would just turn into a shouting match with her and this other guy who would sometimes get really aggressive.

It all finally really kicked off around Easter; this girl and the aggressive guy got into an argument, it ended up everyone joining in. This guy was really getting up in this girl's face and even started getting physical pushing her, and the others were all on his side so there were basically 4 of them ganging up on this one poor girl. I agreed that she was right, the way they behaved was out of order, and everyone started having a go at me too. It was really scary, especially as they were pretty drunk. Security ended up coming round to break it up and we all got woken up in the morning by the residence manager who read them all the riot act. Then later on in the day one of the guys had the cheek to come and give me a non-apology, claiming I should have just said something if I was bothered by the noise (other than the 50 million times I did say something, I presume...).

Bad times, and an important lesson in making quicker decisions (if I did it again, I'd move out in an instant the first time instead of putting up with that crap). Though I don't think the uni handled it well, they didn't really do anything except tell them all off even though they had been aware of problems in our flat all year (someone had let a fire extinguisher off at one point and we had security round quite a bit.)

My University didn't deal with any of my problems adequately either:

My ex friend/neighbour who attacked me got off with no warning or caution whatsoever ... he's pretty much a free man right now. I'm certain he'll do something worse later on because he comes across as a right sociopath ...

As for the 3 pricks who turned the old dorm upside down ... they've finished Uni and haven't been sued or anything either ...

ReputationRep:
    My halls smelled of fart/poo.

Also, one time, loads of people were in my flat, and I was too socially phobic to make any noise in my room. So I pissed in the sink, and then washed it away, and everyone outside my room was like, "Why does the flat stink of piss?" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Someone using me for plagiarism purposes and then telling me my hair was falling out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    My halls smelled of fart/poo.

Also, one time, loads of people were in my flat, and I was too socially phobic to make any noise in my room. So I pissed in the sink, and then washed it away, and everyone outside my room was like, "Why does the flat stink of piss?" :rofl:
    Wow lol ... that's intense ...

I got socially awkward on numerous occasions with the people in the new dorm I moved to. The only times I'd leave my room would be to go to my lectures and late at night when I went for a smoke :/

ReputationRep:
    Some girl threatened to punch my face in because I apparently used her sausages (I didn't, I couldn't even cook sausages very well at that point, so chose to not even try).

That was fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On a degree that you can transfer to the 4 year programme if you wish/clever enough. I'm the only one not wanting to stay on the extra year. I kinda feel out of place.

ReputationRep:
    40 lads storming into the flat and having what can only be described as a rowdy drug party consisting of snorting cocaine by the lights of their phones (flat had a power cut), smashing chairs against the walls and asking "who the **** we were?" and trying to start arguments with us in our own flat. Basically, a flat mate who has no desire to mingle with us as he moved up with friends from home invited them without warning. For someone who is a natural worrier, it was scary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmyLauren)
    40 lads storming into the flat and having what can only be described as a rowdy drug party consisting of snorting cocaine by the lights of their phones (flat had a power cut), smashing chairs against the walls and asking "who the **** we were?" and trying to start arguments with us in our own flat. Basically, a flat mate who has no desire to mingle with us as he moved up with friends from home invited them without warning. For someone who is a natural worrier, it was scary!
    Did you manage to file a complaint, or did you sit and take the mess?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.