Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I did some maths, and with accommodation costs and transport deducted I will have £32/W left to spend on food/entertainment etc. Do you think this will be enough? any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I will be in leeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ0495)
    Okay so I did some maths, and with accommodation costs and transport deducted I will have £32/W left to spend on food/entertainment etc. Do you think this will be enough? any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S I will be in leeds.
    It depends entirely on your life style. I eat a ridiculous amount as I'm gym obsessed. But I don't drink. But my weekly spend is probably close to £100.

However, most people say that they can survive off £20-£30 a week. I have a friend who claims she lives on a tenner. But all she eats is a tin of beans with toast for breakfast and a sandwich for dinner.

If your max spend is £35 you'll be able to do it comfortably. You've just got to figure out how much that's going to get you and make it last the week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ0495)

P.S I will be in leeds.
    I'm currently studying in Leeds and I manage to do a week and a half food shop for around £20 but I don't eat meat so it would obviously be a bit more expensive if you do eat it although I do eat a stupid amount of cheese so that probably evens it out! I think a budget of £32 is fairly reasonable, you just wouldn't be able to drink huge amounts if you do drink :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah no worries! As long as you stick to your budget and don't go bananas at the start of the year and spend most of it it is quite a comfortable amount. A food shop for one person can comfortably be done for 15-20 quid, its just a case of getting to grips with meal plans and seeing working with what offers are on. As for a social life i am sure there will be many student nights which are cheap, and pre drink a bit so that you're not spending loads on over priced drinks out. If you want to join a sports club etc the fees are usually paid at the start of the year so once thats done you dont have to worry; maybe ask nicely for a teeny bit of extra money for freshers you never know as well you might find a part time job that fits in with your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person.

You can always apply for additional funding from other bodies like the National Scholarship Programme.

If you're lucky, they might give you a one off payment of £1,000 which will give you almost an extra £10.00 a week.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they are right it is purely individualistic to be honest !
    But I've made a video on what it was like for me living on a budget, you can have a look and see if it helps you understand it better?

http://youtu.be/uJQFNPVhCQY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faithemmy)
    Yeah they are right it is purely individualistic to be honest !
    But I've made a video on what it was like for me living on a budget, you can have a look and see if it helps you understand it better?

http://youtu.be/uJQFNPVhCQY
    swqa

ReputationRep:
    you might be in trouble if you have a sudden expense like laptop repairs or something but otherwise you should be fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.