Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have recently had a bit of a health spurt and have been trying not only to lose weight but to tone up a bit.

I am 5'3 and 9 5 but would like to get to 8 8 ish or wherever I am happy. I have cut sugar from my tea and porridge, hardly eat bread and have been exercising a lot. I had dropped 4 lbs between Sunday and Wednesday but have stuck at the same weight since. ..

Sunday I ran 1.5 miles (not far I know but I was very impressed with myself as a beginner), I did work out classes on Tuesday and Thursday as well as nike training club workouts Wednesday and Saturday (yestrday). I walk a lot at work and did 8.4 miles on Friday and 5 miles yesterday.

My diet is usually similar to:
    Porridge with semi skimmed milk and chopped banana.

Apple

Chicken salad with no dressing.

Homemade dinner with fresh ingredients no added oils or fats such as stew, casserole, spaghetti or chicken break with homemade chips.

Any ideas why my weight loss is static? I did eat a donut from a stall at an event yesterday which probably didn't help!
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    4 pounds in 4 days is bordering on quite extreme weight loss, aiming for about 1-2 pounds a week will keep your health more stable in terms of hormones and energy levels ect as well as allow it to become more of a lifestyle rather than diet. Remember, you are actually in the healthy range so extreme and quick weight loss is not only not needed but can do more harm than good

If you want to become more toned resistance training is necessary also, weight training is the most optimal way to train the skeletal muscle system, and if you really are just as much into this for the health as well as the looks then remember that resistance training provides incredible benefits, the main reason why everybody should be doing some. However, I know some girls aren't into it and will flat out never touch a barbell, so body weight exercises are an acceptable substitute if that is the case. Though you may be doing something like that in your workout classes

Also, for your diet do not be afraid of carbs. That is some new age paleo bull**** who don't even know basic human history let alone physiology! The body's main source of energy will always be glucose, it will even turn your protein into it if it's not getting any from carbs. And protein is more expensive as long as you are exercising, and you are, you will not gain weight as long as you burn more calories than you consume. Remember to account for the amount of exercise you do!

Ermm the only other thing I can think of is to add essential fatty oils- olive lil flaxseed oil ect - to your food when already cooked, like on a salad for example, to get your essential fatty acids.

But well done on your weight loss! You are almost at your goals and are doing very well!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your reply. I'll have a proper read through once I'm home x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No worries. Feel free to ask any questions, or even start a blog for us!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh ok... how? Just my own monologue of progress on its own thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denver2010)
    Ooh ok... how? Just my own monologue of progress on its own thread?
    Yeh exactly, just go to the fitness blog section and start one

ReputationRep:
    I've found it's very important to track your calories because you'd be surprised at how many things contain more calories than you originally thought!

Myfitnesspal.com is a very good starting point. Calculate your TDEE and eat a bit under that.

ReputationRep:
    Your muscle retain water when you start working out if you are a beginner. In the first month the weightloss will be all over the place, so put it in to a chart and check for monthly trends. All the above advice is also good.

ReputationRep:
    If you're aiming to lose like 10lbs in a week then you're doing it wrong, lose it gradually and safely

ReputationRep:
    If your calorie counting and BMR are correctly assessed then it's not just you 'not loosing weight'. Because you've measured over 4 days your weight loss may not be completely down to you burning more than you eat as alb is quite a lot given the time.

The discrepancy could be in stuff like water and the stuff you put in and the stuff that comes out. For example if your in the gym and do a good cardio session and measure yourself before and after, you find that you could loose a pound in sweat etc… and you could also gain two or three in food and water at a meal and this wouldn't be put on in weight but used as fuel, so you wouldn't gain weight. To negate this measure your weight regularly and consistently (about once a week). If I weigh my self it's always on a Friday morning first thing so I know that I'm not cheating myself either way.

ReputationRep:
    I weigh myself first thing every morning which is always around the same time. I know that sounds obsessive but the daily motivation or kick up the butterflies really helps me. Again this morning I am still the same weight .... although I did go to a bbq yesterday so my calorie count slipped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am 5'3 and 9 5 but would like to get to 8 8 ish or wherever I am happy. I have cut sugar from my tea and porridge, hardly eat bread and have been exercising a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a good start, but what else are you doing to change your diet? It's not enough just to stop putting extra sugar in your morning foods and not eating bread. In fact, I eat bread and am still losing weight.

I had dropped 4 lbs between Sunday and Wednesday but have stuck at the same weight since. ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That won't all be fat loss, that'll mostly be water weight. Perhaps you've lost 1 or 2 pounds in 4 days, but definitely not 4 in "real" pounds". By now, however, perhaps if you've maintained that weight still even today, then you could have lost a genuine 4 pounds by now. Perhaps your body has been "catching up".

Sunday I ran 1.5 miles (not far I know but I was very impressed with myself as a beginner), I did work out classes on Tuesday and Thursday as well as nike training club workouts Wednesday and Saturday (yestrday). I walk a lot at work and did 8.4 miles on Friday and 5 miles yesterday.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even 1.5 miles every day or two is a good start to a new lifestyle. I find it a lot easier to only do 1.5-2 miles every day as opposed to 5+ miles every few days. I'll just go for a 20 minute run every evening. Each to their own. Don't overdo the exercise. Probably sounds absurd but if you haven't done that much before this newfound motivation to lose weight then you could hurt yourself easily and strain your muscles.

Also remember losing weight is mostly about diet change, even though exercise is an important component. It's far easier to cut 500 calories out your diet one day than go for a run to burn 500 calories.

My diet is usually similar to:
    Porridge with semi skimmed milk and chopped banana.

Apple

Chicken salad with no dressing.

Homemade dinner with fresh ingredients no added oils or fats such as stew, casserole, spaghetti or chicken break with homemade chips.

Any ideas why my weight loss is static? I did eat a donut from a stall at an event yesterday which probably didn't help!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The fruit is great. Chicken salad with no dressing also perfect (I recommend lemon juice as a tasty dressing and throw in lots of tomatoes, peppers etc to fill you up a little more).

Don't worry about the donut if it was a one-off, but you should really cut those things out altogether. You should not eat more than 1400 calories each day. This is quite strict. If you do it, say, 1500 in one day, eat 1200-1300 the next day and no more. Also, never eat less than 1200. Less=starvation mode = loss of water weight = body doesn't lose weight as efficiently (if at all). I'm sure you've heard that before, but just to reiterate, eating too few calories will not make you lose weight. Genuinely tried and tested.

Some suggestions based on my diet:
    - Don't eat porridge and milk every morning. A few days a week are fine, but the porridge can be high in calories and milk isn't great for you if you have it very often. It's a good breakfast in terms of the balance between being filling and giving you energy, and being heathy. BUT it's actually not really the healthiest of them all.

- You say you don't eat bread at all. Well, carry that on if you feel so. But some mornings I will eat a bowl of fruit salad or fruit with natural yoghurt, and either mid-morning or directly after I will have one slice of toast with a small amount of low cholesterol spread on top for taste, and I do this because bread can be very filling. Sure, large amounts of bread are bad and will bloat you and are fattening, but one slice every few days will not inhibit your weight loss at all. In a way, it can aid it for the reason I said.

- Other breakfasts I eat are a couple poached eggs with a whole cooked tomato (sometimes with have a slice of smoked ham or a bit of tuna or rivita with it)

- Rivita are a great snack. Like wheat and rye crisp bread crackers, if you're not familiar. Having a couple of them with some ham or tomatoes on top is like a 80-100 calorie filling snack.

The main problem with your diet, at least in my opinion, is your dinners. No fattening sauces, no stews, casseroles, pasta, curries, excessive red meat and definitely no chips, even homemade I'm afraid.

If you want to shift more weight, say hello to chicken breasts or fish fillets with lots and lots of vegetables (avoid potatoes) for dinner. A stew or sauce-based dish with rice/pasta/potatoes should be a very occasion.

My summary:
    - eggs with cooked tomatoes some days, fruit with a slice of toast others
    - rivita or other random fruits for snacks (whatever my mum has in the fruit bowl)
    - salads with some ham/chicken/tuna, lots of peppers and tomatoes and sometimes couscous or spoon of mayonnaise and lemon juice.
    - chicken or fish with loads of veg. Never eat potatoes. for dinner
    - on rare occasions I do have spaghetti or curry or something naughty, I will make changes e.g. small portions then make extra boiled veg to fill up, or lean/quorn mince, or brown rice , or make a purely vegetable curry using pastes and chopped tomatoes not fattening jar sauces.
    - berries if I feel like a sweet pudding
    - 1300-1400 ish calories per day. Occasionally 1200, never above 1400. Ever.
    - Exercise not that much, but my level of activity I would describe as lightly active day-to-day anyway, then plus gym 1 or 2 days a week and a short jog 1 or 2 days a week.

Started off slow, lost 6 lbs 4-5 months.
    Then in about a month I've lost another 5 lbs doing the above every day.
    I'm your height, now 9 stone 9/10 ish lbs.
    I now have no desire to eat cakes and fattening foods, and every desire to eat boiled veg, salads, chicken, fish and egg whites all day every day.
    Once I reach my first goal of 9 stone 7 lbs, I will set a new goal of 9 stone.

PS: another tip I sort of covered earlier is that slips like that donut and BBQ will set you back so much. A few days hard work can be spoiled with just one cake or overeating at a BBQ. That sounds so depressing, I realise. But it's the truth of it. People say "oh you can have a treat". But really, you can't…unless it's like a 60 calorie chocolate bourbon…and only one or two max.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your reply. I knew dinners were my sticking point. .. I will have to have a reshuffle! I have 2 young kids and a husband to feed too so often make something for them. I had thought home made fat free stew with tons of veg would be ok... maybe if I remove the gravy and do it as steak and veg?!

Any more ideas welcome x

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.