Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    visited durham's open day yesterday and really loved at johns and st chads, but reckon it's safer to apply to St. John's as chads is so oversubscribed and really don't want to end up on the hill! (Mostly because I'm really lazy and it's far away from my subject) did anyone else like the look of St. John's? Does anyone know if it's as religious as it seems because I'm totally unreligious! Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMJ_1996)
    Hi all,
    visited durham's open day yesterday and really loved at johns and st chads, but reckon it's safer to apply to St. John's as chads is so oversubscribed and really don't want to end up on the hill! (Mostly because I'm really lazy and it's far away from my subject) did anyone else like the look of St. John's? Does anyone know if it's as religious as it seems because I'm totally unreligious! Thanks in advance
    Hi! :hi:

Just for the record; you have made a great choice; John's is certainly the best of all of Durham's colleges! But don't apply to Chad's; they're our rivals! I can't wait to start there next year and wish you the best of luck with your application

Anyways, I've done a bunch of research on John's, and here's what I told someone on a different thread:

It's a pretty small college- second smallest in Durham in fact (after Chad's). It supposedly has the best community spirit because of this; everyone tends to know everyone, and everyone is super supportive of each other. Actually, John's has a reputation for being the friendliest and most supportive of all the Durham colleges Granted, this is partly down to the 'Christian ethos' of the college, which, sadly, seems to put a lot of people off applying there However, after doing much research- I can comfortably and confidently tell you now that this is no issue. Let me assure you it's not the overriding aspect of the college, I'm Jewish (but not religious- agnostic at best) and I can see it is not a problem The vast majority of the students are not 'die-hard' Christians who stuff religion down your throat the second you walk through the door. Rather, the college consists of mainly normal students from a good mix of backgrounds. Yes, it does seem to attract a relative amount of Christian students, but these students are actually just normal guys who like to get drunk and party just as much as the next guy The religious image actually comes from Crammer Hall more than anything; an institution connected to St. John's who train priests and the like, but do not really mix with the students. Anyway, sorry for rambling about this, but I actually consider the 'Christian ethos' to be a huge positive! It's one of the reasons that John's has such a caring and supportive environment, which is exactly what I wanted from my experience at university John's always boast their college spirit and with good reason too! It is as true as it is cheesy :yep: Anyways, enough about religion!

The college is based right in the center of the Bailey, a connected row of gorgeous Georgian townhouses. The college is in a truly stunning location and is considered to be one of the prettiest colleges in Durham It backs onto the River Wear, creating an incredible view and a perfect position for John's boat house, which is based practically right next to the river On the back of the college you have the Lintern Lawn, a lovely little lawn with a gazebo and all! The college has a really stunning library, containing roughly 30,000 books, and an especially good Theology collection. St. John's also has it's own 12th century chapel just across the street. St. John's is known for having rooms of all shapes and sizes, and corridors that go nowhere :rolleyes: Saying that, you can end up in a mahussive room, or in something broadly comparable to that of a broom closet :lol: The dining room is really pretty as well, John's is a relatively traditional college and has formals once a week with a lot of people going once a fortnight due to the way seats are prioritised. Formals, if you don't know, are really fun events where everyone dresses up (surprisingly in formal attire ), along with their (Harry Potter esq.) academic gown! :yeah: There is a high table, you get served a three course meal (with wine), and usually ends up turning into a great big p*ss up! :cheers: They are really fun events to get involved in, but you can still choose to go to as many or as few as you so wish John's is one of the few colleges where all formals are completely free, for livers in and out! By the way, as John's is a 'recognised' college (as opposed to 'maintained'), they are known for having the best food out of all of the Durham colleges as well! :yep:

The college is in a very good location, as I said it's right in the center of the Bailey. It's literally right next to the shops and the old market as well, perfect for nights out as it's very near to town. It's also really near the DSU, the Palace Green library, and the academic departments based on the peninsula. For the science site and the University's main library (i.e. the Bill Bryson library), it is no more than a 15 minute walk The college's bar is pretty small and is not always viewed as the best in Durham to be honest (though it certainly isn't as bad as St. Mary's! :nah:) Though, it still has a great atmosphere and is always a great place to hang out with a few friends The JCR's pretty good, always putting on loads of stuff to do. Oh, and John's has it's own shop, toastie bar and coffee house too! The college is also known for being pretty good with sports (especially rowing) and you can get involved with whatever you want, especially as their are intercollegiate rivalries in all the sports tournaments! :cool: John's have a reputation for being one of the colleges that has a really strong performing arts reputation, always putting on incredible productions It looks really fun to get involved backstage especially! Oh, and they also have a grand piano (which I can't wait to have a go on! ) Also, John's have their own gym that you can use, they have both a room for cardio and another for weights. Hmm, what else... Oh, and John's mascot is an alligator known as Olav II! (all the colleges have mascots now :rolleyes:)

Finally, here are some pictures of St. John's- I collected them for The Official Durham College Allocation Thread that I started. The pictures are limited and you can find many more online if you so wish, but anyways; enjoy!

Spoiler:
    Show

The Main Entrance:

College Interior:

The Common Room (i.e. The Bailey Room):

Lintern Lawn:

A Typical Bedroom:

The (newly refurbished) Dining Hall:

John's Library:

Library Exterior / The Back Lawn:

The Cellar Bar:

The Chapel:

Well, that's about it really Sorry for rambling on- but this is pretty much everything I know about college life at St. John's! As you can quite clearly see, I've become very obsessed with Durham and absolutely cannot wait to start in September! (If I get the grades that is ) If you have any questions for me, I'll do my very best to answer them- and I hope you found this information useful!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that was incredibly helpful and has definitely made me very keen on applying to St. John's and am pleased that the students there still like to party and drink, that was the only thing I was slightly concerned about. I absolutely adored durham at the open day and really hope I can make the grades as I'd love to be a student there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.