Tiger shot and killed with bow and arrow, why did it foam and bleed at the mouth? Watch

I'm Lazy Bones
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I came across an article this morning highlighting the critical endangers of Bengal tigers and how there are only a few hundred remaining in the wild, one article showed a poached tiger that was killed recently, an arrow stuffed in his upper back and one that went through it's heart, the short video clip shows the lion is agonizing pain and bleeding and frothing from the mouth before she finally collapses and dies within 30 seconds of being hit by the arrows.

What causes this to happen for them to bleed and froth at them mouth ?

I would upload video clip but not sure how to and not sure TSR mods would allow it
mjohnson29
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd assume the bleeding is due to internal bleeding so when the lion breathes it brings up blood? No reasonable idea on the frothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1305705
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maybe the arrowhead was poisoned? Poor thing..
alex193
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it pierces the lungs or upper airway you end up bleeding into your respiratory system - this triggers a cough reflex and you produce huge volumes of foamy bloody sputum, all while you slowly asphyxiate in your own fluids in incredible pain. Cruel, cruel way to hunt.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Realistically could be any of the following, since we don't know the dose that was administered on the arrow heads, it could have been a small amount of fast acting poison or a hell of a lot of slow poison.
I don't know the extent of the frothing but, the frothing was most likely due to the poison and the blood simply could have been a punctured trachea/lung because if the arrow went through the heart, it could have hit either one/both of the lungs as well.

Link the the poisons:

http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/e-book/poisons

Although, going by the location (I am assuming India due to it being a tiger) or somewhere close in that vicinity, it could have been opium or cyanide due to cyanide not being particularly expensive to produce.
It is often found in plant seeds to prevent insects eating them as a natural insecticide.
I'm Lazy Bones
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjohnson29)
I'd assume the bleeding is due to internal bleeding so when the lion breathes it brings up blood? No reasonable idea on the frothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhhh, I imagine you may be right, thanks !
I'm Lazy Bones
Rep:
?
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alex193)
If it pierces the lungs or upper airway you end up bleeding into your respiratory system - this triggers a cough reflex and you produce huge volumes of foamy bloody sputum, all while you slowly asphyxiate in your own fluids in incredible pain. Cruel, cruel way to hunt.
This.
alex193
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Realistically could be any of the following, since we don't know the dose that was administered on the arrow heads, it could have been a small amount of fast acting poison or a hell of a lot of slow poison.
I don't know the extent of the frothing but, the frothing was most likely due to the poison and the blood simply could have been a punctured trachea/lung because if the arrow went through the heart, it could have hit either one/both of the lungs as well.

Link the the poisons:

http://www.forensicpathologyonline.com/e-book/poisons

Although, going by the location (I am assuming India due to it being a tiger) or somewhere close in that vicinity, it could have been opium.
Don't think poisons would be the (main) cause: there's not many specific agents, especially ones available to the public (or poachers!) that would cause the pink frothy sputum - certainly ones deliverable via arrowhead!
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would imagine the arrow punctured the lung
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (14)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (20)
10.1%
I don't think they'd understand (33)
16.67%
It might lead to more bullying (72)
36.36%
There's nothing they could do (59)
29.8%

Watched Threads

Latest