happysmile
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, can anyone please explain what does "High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging" mean? And what are some High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging techniques?

Also, I need to resize several images, convert the files to jpegs and somehow adjust the image resolution - would prefer not to spend money on Adobe Photoshop as this is a one-off situation, but does anyone know any free software I can download or online programs that I could use for this (and the 'High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging techniques') ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to finish editing these images within this week, thanks!
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by happysmile)
Hi, can anyone please explain what does "High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging" mean? And what are some High Dynamic Range (HDR) imaging techniques?
HDR typically involves merging together multiple images at different exposure points to create images with a greater dynamic range. Its applications can range from making everything in an image look like it's at the "correct" where taking a single photo in a high contrast scenario would otherwise leave areas over/under exposed;
Spoiler:
Show

Used for artistic effect;
Spoiler:
Show

To... well... this :lolwut:;
Spoiler:
Show

Can't speak for techniques personally, I've never used it before aside from the rare time where I'll use the HDR function built into my DSLR.
happysmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
HDR typically involves merging together multiple images at different exposure points to create images with a greater dynamic range. Its applications can range from making everything in an image look like it's at the "correct" where taking a single photo in a high contrast scenario would otherwise leave areas over/under exposed;
Spoiler:
Show

Used for artistic effect;
Spoiler:
Show

To... well... this :lolwut:;
Spoiler:
Show

Can't speak for techniques personally, I've never used it before aside from the rare time where I'll use the HDR function built into my DSLR.
Thanks for your reply and the example photos - so HDR imaging needs multiple photos? Does that mean it wouldn't be possible to use HDR imaging if I haven't taken several photos of the same scene already? Thanks,
Wilsoncw1997
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by happysmile)
Thanks for your reply and the example photos - so HDR imaging needs multiple photos? Does that mean it wouldn't be possible to use HDR imaging if I haven't taken several photos of the same scene already? Thanks,
I recommend you using a tripod and the caner's internal HDR mode as you will need stability, and the camera's software to correct the moved shots of each succession. Mirror locking would be important and timer as well.
happysmile
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
I recommend you using a tripod and the caner's internal HDR mode as you will need stability, and the camera's software to correct the moved shots of each succession. Mirror locking would be important and timer as well.
I'm going to pretend I understood all this... but thanks anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.13%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.51%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.03%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.41%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.94%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads