Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Otherwise nice people who become fannies when someone likes them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that some otherwise nice (or easy to talk to) people become fannies when they find out that someone they don't like likes them.

Like yesterday, a girl I know managed to sell a painting to a guy she knows, and we speculated that he liked her. And she responded "ewwwww"...if that got back to him and he did like her, it could crush him.

Another girl had quite nerdy guys who liked her in high school. So she shouted in the playground, in earshot of them, "WHY IS IT ONLY NERDS WHO LIKE ME?" ... bit harsh considering nerds are some of the most marginalised people in a high school.

It also happens with boys towards girls too. I remember one guy in high school who laughed when he found out this chubby girl liked him etc.

Do you think it's embarrassment and a gut reaction that leads people to behave this way? Why do people do this? Are they offended that someone so "lowly" could like them and think they have a chance?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I just think that it's a bit of shock and suprise to be honest because they've never ever considered them ever and probably the way they act too is kinda weird :/

ReputationRep:
    I would like to think of my self as an "otherwise nice" person, and I would NEVER even think about doing that.

Maybe they aren't very nice people after all?

ReputationRep:
    Reckon that they're surprised, and somewhat unsure to react...so try to hide their 'embarrassment'

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those people. I don't like it when people that I don't like, like me, because I know that they're wasting their time; I'd rather nip them in the bud than string them along for months (you know how optimistic people get about these things).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dire wolf)
    I'm one of those people. I don't like it when people that I don't like, like me, because I know that they're wasting their time; I'd rather nip them in the bud than string them along for months (you know how optimistic people get about these things).
    There are less hurtful ways of doing it though.

This way, they spend a long time hurting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)

I've known people of both genders who act like that. Absolutely douchey, classless behaviour.

I certainly wouldn't call such people "nice". In the long run, they're the ones who lose out, because the people who fancy them (who are usually perfectly nice people themselves, but not stereotypically hot/rich/popular enough to impress the nasty person's friends) usually get over them and deserve better, and end up with someone better too from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:

its a compromise. this way is the easiest for me lel

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says "eww" is immature as there are better ways of rejecting someone.

But at the same time, nobody is entitled to a relationship with someone. And it can take you back when you find out someone you don't find attractive fancies you, you get paranoid etc.

Possibly if it's someone unattractive and you don't get much attention it could knock your self esteem because you feel they're the only type of people you could ever realistically go for.

It's only OK to be mean if they are pushy and force a relationship with you

ReputationRep:

But you need to be straight up and say you don't like them in that way so they know there is no chance

ReputationRep:
    When someone likes them? Who? You? People are *******s! What's new?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    Possibly if it's someone unattractive and you don't get much attention it could knock your self esteem because you feel they're the only type of people you could ever realistically go for.
    yea that. its ultimately insecurities and an inability to deal with complements. we can all appreciate what its like to be on the tailend of unreciprocated lust so should be more tactful

ReputationRep:
    I know plenty of people who react like this, I think its mainly because they feel they can do better than the person who likes them:dontknow:. Either way it is still disrespectful and very immature, a "nice" person wouldn't react in that way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.