Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I am currently studying M1 (Edexcel) and would like to know what order to do the chapters in. Obviously Kinematics comes first, but then exam solutions differs from the modular book by edexcel. For example, some previous knowledge of resolving is needed for dynamics. Plz help
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMeister)
    Hi , I am currently studying M1 (Edexcel) and would like to know what order to do the chapters in. Obviously Kinematics comes first, but then exam solutions differs from the modular book by edexcel. For example, some previous knowledge of resolving is needed for dynamics. Plz help
    The best order I found is:

Kinematics
    Vectors (the most difficult chapter so best to learn this as early as possible.
    Statics
    Dynamics
    Moments

Vectors are good to know about early on, but you need a bit of background before you can really learn about them properly. As long as you know all the kinematics and F=ma stuff, which you need for vectors, so maybe read over dynamics before you do them too.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think the order of the Edexcel book is fine, i.e.

Kinematics
    Dynamics
    Statics
    Moments
    Vectors

Personally, I found the dynamics chapter the most difficult conceptually. I didn't have a big issue with vectors and I don't really see why it should be learned early.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I did them in the order of the M1 textbook and it worked out fine for me. I personally didn't find vectors too bad (but I have done most of C4 vectors). In terms of difficulty I would rank them

Kinematics
    Equilibrium
    Vectors
    Moments
    Dynamics

Though the textbook order is probably best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsMeister)
    I prefer the order used in the old Heinemann M1 books:

Vectors
    Kinematics
    Statics of a particle
    Dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane
    Moments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Kinematics
    Dynamics
    Statics
    Moments
    Vectors
    I'd go with this list, I found vectors to be the most difficult.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.