The Student Room Group

Food Science and Nutrition personal statements

There are no examples of Food Science and Nutrition personal statements online does anyone have an example? I am looking to study at Reading, Nottingham, Leeds or Surrey.
Reply 1
Original post by gemyak
There are no examples of Food Science and Nutrition personal statements online does anyone have an example? I am looking to study at Reading, Nottingham, Leeds or Surrey.

Had a quick google, found these two examples for you, the first one got an offer from Surrey University, also there is a really good personal statement bank on a website called studential if you haven't already heard of it :smile:

First PS

As Thomas Edison said “In future we would be able to cure disease through nutrients with gene and drugs”. According to my observation of life nutrition is the fundamental factor which influences health and it’s the relationship between health and disease. Often people do not realize the importance of good nutrition for wellbeing. This whole world revolve around nutrition, we are absolutely nothing without nutritional values. Chemistry of the human body is the reason which made me interested in nutrition.

In school I read that eating influence the ability to concentrate, growth, nourishment, resistance to infections etc. why? Because of the nutritional values. Medical research has proven that good nutrition helps to maintain healthy weight, body and body systems to function for a lifetime. It is also essential for boosting self-confidence. It plays a critical role through all stages of life ,through my working experience I have observed eating food is much more than we think, It involves psychological, environmental, economical, genetic etc. factors

I really enjoy applying good scientific knowledge of food on people or for the benefit of people, which nutrition is all about.

At present, I am studying Access to Health Human Science and enjoying the process of learning new things and remembering old stuff. I have done quite well in Human digestive system and cells and tissues chapters, in which relation of human digestive structure to function together with the role of enzyme and different types of cells tissues our bod is made up of was the most important part. I am also studying Structure function and disorders associate with different nutrients such as carbohydrate, lipids, proteins etc. Most of this chapter is consist of chemical test in laboratory, which I enjoy taking part in, whether it‘s a test or research. I like studying the small details about things as tiny as a cell so that I can fully understand the depth of the topic. I am looking forward to Illnesses and genetic disorders in Physiology. Beside that I have also enrolled for part times Certificate course in counselling, which will enable me to understand the needs of other. I am also intending to do work experience or shadowing, to get the exact idea of this field.

My employment as a health care and weight loss advisor has given me experience of dealing face to face with customers and providing confidential advice about healthcare has not only made me highly confident with people but has also polished my communication skills as well. I have been the best employee of the store more than eight times because of the high volume of positive feedback I used to get through an online survey report of the store.

Other responsibilities at work are to assess customer’s need and provide information about symptoms and drugs, dispensing over the counter medicine. Being a weight loss advisor I have to provide well-rounded diet and exercise plans according to weight, body mass index (BMI), age and eating patterns . I have attended workshops and meetings with nutritionist on how to advise customers about weight loss and maintain good health as part of my job. I have always encouraged my customers to eat healthy food to reduce risks of disease. I keep my customers motivated by supporting them; keep in contact with them so they can feel more confident about what they are doing, and it’s the psychological courage which most people are lacking. Working as a receptionist has made me very well organised finishing task on time and the work planning. I had to provide reception duties on behalf of the team in a responsive and courteous manner, maintain all sort of paper work like fees and attendance record, maintenance of office equipment, collect cash, mail, photocopy etc.

Moreover I have also served as a Catering Assistant experience, where I actually knew how important hygiene is. Poor cleaning and not keeping everything at right temperature, serving rotten vegetables, meat, drinks or any other thing can destroy the nutritional value in addition can get customers into serious digestive problems.

In developing countries people do not have basic amenities to live. I did some voluntary teaching to orphan children while studying at school. I and my sister arranged a tuition centre at my house where I used to teach them about basic hygienic rules as well as academic studies which I found very rewarding and it’s a great way to practice your skills and training and serving humanity.

I do cooking myself every day, as some of my family members are diabetic and suffering from high blood pressure so I have to be very careful in terms of meal planning and choosing different ingredients. I try to increase the amount of soluble fibres which are mainly found in fruit and vegetables so they can slow down the absorption of glucose. I keep myself update with nutritional knowledge by reading online books and sites

My future plan is obviously to finish my degree in nutrition but beyond that I want to post graduation in human nutrition and food industry and to study it deeply. It’s quite early to say that

My desire is to do the best in this field which could be beneficial for human kind, and university can give me rights path, more understanding. I can learn more and more knowledge of this filed through veteran learned teachers. And looking forward to your acceptance of my application.

Second PS

I have always found anything to do with science fascinating from a very young age. My father
being a medical doctor and my mother a nurse, I have grown to appreciate how medical science
can be applied to help sustain life in general. However, my desire is to take that further by
developing skills that can help integrate science and the general public together as I have
realized the ever growing importance of nutrition, as my goal is to pursue a career as a
nutritionist. There is more demand now than ever for people to learn the effects and functions
of food due to an increased rise in illnesses that are linked to food, for example, obesity,
anorexia, diabetes, malnutrition and many more. I believe as a nutritionist I will be required
to educate and advise the public about food and create suitable dietary information for
different groups of people and also to provide concrete scientific explanation which is just
one out of countless reasons that drove me towards studying as a nutritionist.
The idea of going into a profession that requires constant development in technicalities,
approaches and personalities with a global outreach is a burning desire. Hopefully, I will be
able to help countries in developing or underdeveloped economies with my skills.
My preparation for a lifetime career as a nutritionist is on going. From my understanding so
far about nutrition, it is mostly about giving comprehensive patient care. The skills of the
nutritionist are crucial to modern medicine. At A level, I developed a number of portfolios
that were research based. One of the portfolios was on food technology and another was
planning and carrying out a scientific investigation. In these units, things I did were to
find out the effects of cooking and drying on vitamin C levels in food and designing a
vegetarian meal. Part of this research included using volumetric analysis with apparatus such as burette, pipette, etc.
I have had some experience in the working world, which has enabled me to gain a wider
perspective of my education. Since May 2006, I have been employed with Southern Cross care homes (The largest care company in Britain)as a health care assistant for the elerly and I have found it a very worthwhile experience and as a result I matured a great deal. As part of my community service, I was fortunate to be involved in a scheme in which I was able to help a younger student in year seven with mathematics and science. I gained patience and good listening skills, tools that are valuable in studying nutrition. I have also participated in a number of school based quizzes in my early stages of secondary education whilst back in Zambia.
I was born in Ashford, Middlesex in England- four months before my father completed his 5 year post graduate studies in the UK and returned to Zambia. Ever since going to Zambia, I attended Tatenda early learning trust school, Chipembi girls secondary school and Thornhill boarding school in Zambia. This is where I attained Primary Leaving and junior secondary school leaving Certificates. I returned to the UK in October 2004 and continued with my education at Cheney school in Oxford.
I enjoy talking to people, making friends, reading, cycling, theatre, music and plays. I am a
very committed and hard working person and therefore believe that University is the ideal
place for me to extend my education as I am confident that I will meet the demands made bystudying nutrition at degree level.
I feel ecstatic about going to University as I believe it will be an amazing experience for
me, both educationally and socially. I can only now thank you in anticipation and only hope
you will consider me as a prospective student at your university in September 2008.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by 06shawm
Had a quick google, found these two examples for you, the first one got an offer from Surrey University, also there is a really good personal statement bank on a website called studential if you haven't already heard of it :smile:

First PS

As Thomas Edison said “In future we would be able to cure disease through nutrients with gene and drugs”. According to my observation of life nutrition is the fundamental factor which influences health and it’s the relationship between health and disease. Often people do not realize the importance of good nutrition for wellbeing. This whole world revolve around nutrition, we are absolutely nothing without nutritional values. Chemistry of the human body is the reason which made me interested in nutrition.

In school I read that eating influence the ability to concentrate, growth, nourishment, resistance to infections etc. why? Because of the nutritional values. Medical research has proven that good nutrition helps to maintain healthy weight, body and body systems to function for a lifetime. It is also essential for boosting self-confidence. It plays a critical role through all stages of life ,through my working experience I have observed eating food is much more than we think, It involves psychological, environmental, economical, genetic etc. factors

I really enjoy applying good scientific knowledge of food on people or for the benefit of people, which nutrition is all about.

At present, I am studying Access to Health Human Science and enjoying the process of learning new things and remembering old stuff. I have done quite well in Human digestive system and cells and tissues chapters, in which relation of human digestive structure to function together with the role of enzyme and different types of cells tissues our bod is made up of was the most important part. I am also studying Structure function and disorders associate with different nutrients such as carbohydrate, lipids, proteins etc. Most of this chapter is consist of chemical test in laboratory, which I enjoy taking part in, whether it‘s a test or research. I like studying the small details about things as tiny as a cell so that I can fully understand the depth of the topic. I am looking forward to Illnesses and genetic disorders in Physiology. Beside that I have also enrolled for part times Certificate course in counselling, which will enable me to understand the needs of other. I am also intending to do work experience or shadowing, to get the exact idea of this field.

My employment as a health care and weight loss advisor has given me experience of dealing face to face with customers and providing confidential advice about healthcare has not only made me highly confident with people but has also polished my communication skills as well. I have been the best employee of the store more than eight times because of the high volume of positive feedback I used to get through an online survey report of the store.

Other responsibilities at work are to assess customer’s need and provide information about symptoms and drugs, dispensing over the counter medicine. Being a weight loss advisor I have to provide well-rounded diet and exercise plans according to weight, body mass index (BMI), age and eating patterns . I have attended workshops and meetings with nutritionist on how to advise customers about weight loss and maintain good health as part of my job. I have always encouraged my customers to eat healthy food to reduce risks of disease. I keep my customers motivated by supporting them; keep in contact with them so they can feel more confident about what they are doing, and it’s the psychological courage which most people are lacking. Working as a receptionist has made me very well organised finishing task on time and the work planning. I had to provide reception duties on behalf of the team in a responsive and courteous manner, maintain all sort of paper work like fees and attendance record, maintenance of office equipment, collect cash, mail, photocopy etc.

Moreover I have also served as a Catering Assistant experience, where I actually knew how important hygiene is. Poor cleaning and not keeping everything at right temperature, serving rotten vegetables, meat, drinks or any other thing can destroy the nutritional value in addition can get customers into serious digestive problems.

In developing countries people do not have basic amenities to live. I did some voluntary teaching to orphan children while studying at school. I and my sister arranged a tuition centre at my house where I used to teach them about basic hygienic rules as well as academic studies which I found very rewarding and it’s a great way to practice your skills and training and serving humanity.

I do cooking myself every day, as some of my family members are diabetic and suffering from high blood pressure so I have to be very careful in terms of meal planning and choosing different ingredients. I try to increase the amount of soluble fibres which are mainly found in fruit and vegetables so they can slow down the absorption of glucose. I keep myself update with nutritional knowledge by reading online books and sites

My future plan is obviously to finish my degree in nutrition but beyond that I want to post graduation in human nutrition and food industry and to study it deeply. It’s quite early to say that

My desire is to do the best in this field which could be beneficial for human kind, and university can give me rights path, more understanding. I can learn more and more knowledge of this filed through veteran learned teachers. And looking forward to your acceptance of my application.

Second PS

I have always found anything to do with science fascinating from a very young age. My father
being a medical doctor and my mother a nurse, I have grown to appreciate how medical science
can be applied to help sustain life in general. However, my desire is to take that further by
developing skills that can help integrate science and the general public together as I have
realized the ever growing importance of nutrition, as my goal is to pursue a career as a
nutritionist. There is more demand now than ever for people to learn the effects and functions
of food due to an increased rise in illnesses that are linked to food, for example, obesity,
anorexia, diabetes, malnutrition and many more. I believe as a nutritionist I will be required
to educate and advise the public about food and create suitable dietary information for
different groups of people and also to provide concrete scientific explanation which is just
one out of countless reasons that drove me towards studying as a nutritionist.
The idea of going into a profession that requires constant development in technicalities,
approaches and personalities with a global outreach is a burning desire. Hopefully, I will be
able to help countries in developing or underdeveloped economies with my skills.
My preparation for a lifetime career as a nutritionist is on going. From my understanding so
far about nutrition, it is mostly about giving comprehensive patient care. The skills of the
nutritionist are crucial to modern medicine. At A level, I developed a number of portfolios
that were research based. One of the portfolios was on food technology and another was
planning and carrying out a scientific investigation. In these units, things I did were to
find out the effects of cooking and drying on vitamin C levels in food and designing a
vegetarian meal. Part of this research included using volumetric analysis with apparatus such as burette, pipette, etc.
I have had some experience in the working world, which has enabled me to gain a wider
perspective of my education. Since May 2006, I have been employed with Southern Cross care homes (The largest care company in Britain)as a health care assistant for the elerly and I have found it a very worthwhile experience and as a result I matured a great deal. As part of my community service, I was fortunate to be involved in a scheme in which I was able to help a younger student in year seven with mathematics and science. I gained patience and good listening skills, tools that are valuable in studying nutrition. I have also participated in a number of school based quizzes in my early stages of secondary education whilst back in Zambia.
I was born in Ashford, Middlesex in England- four months before my father completed his 5 year post graduate studies in the UK and returned to Zambia. Ever since going to Zambia, I attended Tatenda early learning trust school, Chipembi girls secondary school and Thornhill boarding school in Zambia. This is where I attained Primary Leaving and junior secondary school leaving Certificates. I returned to the UK in October 2004 and continued with my education at Cheney school in Oxford.
I enjoy talking to people, making friends, reading, cycling, theatre, music and plays. I am a
very committed and hard working person and therefore believe that University is the ideal
place for me to extend my education as I am confident that I will meet the demands made bystudying nutrition at degree level.
I feel ecstatic about going to University as I believe it will be an amazing experience for
me, both educationally and socially. I can only now thank you in anticipation and only hope
you will consider me as a prospective student at your university in September 2008.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! This will defiantly help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gemyak
Thank you so much! This will defiantly help :smile:

No problem, good luck with your application! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest