Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Motorway Questions for a Newbie! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

So I passed my driving last month and finally got my first car too!

In about 6 weeks, I'm anticipating my first motorway journey and am a complete newbie to motorways!

A lot of advice that I've seen is stuff like "don't hog the middle lane" etc. Can anyone define how long you have to be in the middle lane to actually be hogging it?

Also, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CC2010)
    A lot of advice that I've seen is stuff like "don't hog the middle lane" etc. Can anyone define how long you have to be in the middle lane to actually be hogging it?
    Exactly 32.5 seconds.

Spoiler:
    Show

But seriously, you should only be in the middle lane if you want to overtake someone on the left. If you're not overtaking then move back into the left lane. (Unless of course the left lane splits away from the motorway)

ReputationRep:
    Everyone stays in the middle because its the best. You have the luxury of cruising at 70 and not being slowed down by lorries.

ReputationRep:
    ^
    You can also go into the middle lane when approaching a sliproad to let the people out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Exactly 32.5 seconds.

Spoiler:
    Show

But seriously, you should only be in the middle lane if you want to overtake someone on the left. If you're not overtaking then move back into the left lane. (Unless of course the left lane splits away from the motorway)
    I'm going to pretend that I didn't sincerely think 32.5seconds was the time limit for all of 10seconds!

Thank you!

--
    Thank you for all the replies, probably the most helpful simple pieces of advice I've read!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with doing 70 or being in the slow run.

Essentially, go on a dual carriageway and if you can do a dual carriageway, you can do a motorway. They are the same largely except you have a 3rd lane.

The key to a motorway is to look as far ahead as you can, not at the bumper in front of you. You need to anticipate and be prepared to stop at any time. Motorways can grind to a halt very quickly and if you are doing silly speeds in a car not designed to do it, you will not be in a pretty place!

In saying that, the UK motorways are the safest motorways in Europe so really, you are more likely to have a crash on the way to the motorway than on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    ^
    You can also go into the middle lane when approaching a sliproad to let the people out.
    Yep, that also helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CC2010)
    Hello.

So I passed my driving last month and finally got my first car too!

In about 6 weeks, I'm anticipating my first motorway journey and am a complete newbie to motorways!

Also, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lets say you're in the right lane of a two lane motorway. There is a lorry ahead of you in the left lane. There is also a car coming up behind you in your lane.

Ask yourself: what will happen first: will I catch up with the lorry, or will the car catch up with me?

If you will catch up with the lorry first, then you can stay in your lane.
    If the car will catch up with you first, then pull into the left hand lane, and as soon as he has passed, indicate and pull back out if safe to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Use the left lane as often as you can, whenever you can.

Sometimes (a lot of the times), there will be plenty of slow moving large vehicles in the left lane. In these situations you don't really want to be driving in the left lane, you're better off driving in the middle lane for quite a while, not just for overtaking, because the left lane is full of slow moving lorries and vans and stuff.

Avoid right lane because people like to use it for high speed cruising, be considerate towards them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.