Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is pointing at girls when your chatting them up a turn off? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When I chat up girls lately they dont seem that interested. I wondered whether it was because I recently dyed my hair and the colour isnt that cool, but my mates say its because when i chat girls up I tend to tower over them and point at their face with my finger too much.

Now they say it i realise this is something I do, but I dont see whats going to be so unattractive about it. Surely its something else but thought id get some opinions anyway in the hope that il prove my mates wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nineteen19)
    When I chat up girls lately they dont seem that interested. I wondered whether it was because I recently dyed my hair and the colour isnt that cool, but my mates say its because when i chat girls up I tend to tower over them and point at their face with my finger too much.

Now they say it i realise this is something I do, but I dont see whats going to be so unattractive about it. Surely its something else but thought id get some opinions anyway in the hope that il prove my mates wrong.
    Why would you point at someone? It's aggressive and confrontational.

It's not positive body language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dear god please stop doing that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you mean? You put your finger in their face? ermm.. that's a bit intimidating lol

ReputationRep:

(Original post by letsbehonest)
    I don't understand what you mean? You put your finger in their face? ermm.. that's a bit intimidating lol
    haha I think her reaction says it alll....ermmm yeh...time to walk away from this lad..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    This...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzle4)
    This...
    But why is it intimidating, I dont understand

ReputationRep:
    Just stop with the pointing. It's not a good technique.

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine a context in which someone would do this unless they were shouting at me, threatening me, or pointing out all the flaws on my face.

As for towering over someone, again, not something that happens unless you want them to feel that their personal space has been invaded, something very few people enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    If you know anyone taller than you, ask them to stand over you with their finger in your face - you'll soon see how it feels!

If you can't do that, try to picture it. Someover is above you, in close proximity and pointing into your face. It's a very dominant stance and an aggressive gesture. This will make most people feel very uncomfortable. I know if a guy did it to me I'd be looking for ways to put physical distance in between us and to end the conversation as quickly and politely as possible.

ReputationRep:
    you... point... at their face?
    What- why?
    The fact that you say it so casually as well comes off just as weird.

ReputationRep:
    [Autism intensifies]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.