Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A > 7 year old car that has less than 100K mileage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for a car that is more than 7 years old to have less than 100K of mileage? :eek:

I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand car but some of these people are saying that their cars have less than 100K mileage and they were made in 2004 or 2006!

ReputationRep:
    Yes..
    Some cars are owned by people who may only use it to go down the shops or whatever.. One of my friends has an 08 plate which has 15,000 miles.. Was previously owned by an elderly woman who didn't really use it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Erm, the average annual mileage per car, in 2012, was 8,200 miles and was 9,200 miles in 2002. So yes, there will be a significant proportion of vehicles at least 7 years old with less than 100,000 miles.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2000 registration car (14 years old) that has 90,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner. Runs pretty well without any problems, happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9967)
    Yes..
    Some cars are owned by people who may only use it to go down the shops or whatever.. One of my friends has an 08 plate which has 15,000 miles.. Was previously owned by an elderly woman who didn't really use it
    :eek:

(Original post by Noble.)
    Erm, the average annual mileage per car, in 2012, was 8,200 miles and was 9,200 miles in 2002. So yes, there will be a significant proportion of vehicles at least 7 years old with less than 100,000 miles.
    Wow, the cars didn't go that far then. My mate just bought his car for 3-4 months and has a 6K mileage now; and he only uses it to go to work!

(Original post by Stinkum)
    I have a 2000 registration car (14 years old) that has 90,000 miles on it. I'm the third owner. Runs pretty well without any problems, happy with it.
    Lucky you

Well, I'm worried that the original owner/seller might tweak the mileage so that it seems that the mileage is lower than it is. I'm also worried that having multiple previous owners might make the car a risky car to buy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

Wow, the cars didn't go that far then. My mate just bought his car for 3-4 months and has a 6K mileage now; and he only uses it to go to work!

Lucky you

Well, I'm worried that the original owner/seller might tweak the mileage so that it seems that the mileage is lower than it is. I'm also worried that having multiple previous owners might make the car a risky car to buy.
    Just do a HPI check on the vehicle, and get the latest MOT test number (or the reference number on the V5C) and do an MOT check (where you can check the mileage).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

That's the thing about buying old second hand cars. you never know if the seller is trying to cheat you. the best thing u can do is to get a second opinion on it from someone more experienced, someone who has owned and bought cars before, e.g. a parent, family member or friend. Make sure they test drive it for you for at least an hour, rev the engine high and see if there are any weird noises, get a feel for the clutch and the brakes, check to see if there are any persistent warning lights on the dashboard that don't disappear during normal driving, you might even want to check underneath the bonnet, ask for the most recent MOT document and have a good read through it. also, check the car registration on the government website to see when the mot and tax are next due.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 6, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.