Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP 2015 Manifesto to be agreed tomorrow some interesting policy revealed so far Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great to me and this will leave me better off.

I hope people realise this.

Rough figures to be used. Not exact.

Under current government:

I'm on £45k and I take home about £33k after deductibles.

Under UKIP's proposals

Im on £45k and £32.5k of that is taxable (if the UKIP threshold is at £12.5k as we expect).

20% tax only on £32.5k leaves me with £26k plus the £12.5k untaxed income. This puts me on £38.5k.

Take off £4k in NI contributions at around the current rate and that leaves you with £34.5k.

You are £1,500 better off roughly on that salary. That will of course fluctuate depending where you lie in terms of income but I'd guess a lot of graduate incomes after a few years working will be flirting around the £35-45k range.

That is the difference between paying your bills and not paying them, mortgage payments, living costs for short period if laid off etc.

Some will say its only £1,500 but to a lot of people that is a lot of money. All the extra money you can get the better IMO.

How will it be funded?

Most likely by cutting foreign aid, stopping expenditure in stupid wars trying to police the world and by cutting mass inflation within the public sector much to the dismay of the current political elite who are only in such a privileged position thanks to the hard working taxpayers of this country in the ****ing first place.

I have no qualms with politicians losing their jobs and the public sector in those areas being slashed.

Let matrons work in the NHS as they used to do so. Let the police do their job properly. Let the fire service deal with fires in emergencies without the worry of stupid risk assessment health and safety bureaucracy which sounds great in theory but is actually of negative impact. Lets cut the middle man taking from the pocket of the working people in the country. We do not need all of these positions within the vastly inflated public sector.

Stronger private sector making money to support a streamlined public sector that functions as the people want it through direct democracy.

Sounds great to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)

I hope people realise this.

Rough figures to be used. Not exact.

Under current government:

I'm on £45k and I take home about £33k after deductibles.

Under UKIP's proposals

Im on £45k and £32.5k of that is taxable (if the UKIP threshold is at £12.5k as we expect).

20% tax only on £32.5k leaves me with £26k plus the £12.5k untaxed income. This puts me on £38.5k.

Take off £4k in NI contributions at around the current rate and that leaves you with £34.5k.

You are £1,500 better off roughly on that salary. That will of course fluctuate depending where you lie in terms of income but I'd guess a lot of graduate incomes after a few years working will be flirting around the £35-45k range.

That is the difference between paying your bills and not paying them, mortgage payments, living costs for short period if laid off etc.

Some will say its only £1,500 but to a lot of people that is a lot of money. All the extra money you can get the better IMO.

How will it be funded?

Most likely by cutting foreign aid, stopping expenditure in stupid wars trying to police the world and by cutting mass inflation within the public sector much to the dismay of the current political elite who are only in such a privileged position thanks to the hard working taxpayers of this country in the ****ing first place.

I have no qualms with politicians losing their jobs and the public sector in those areas being slashed.

Let matrons work in the NHS as they used to do so. Let the police do their job properly. Let the fire service deal with fires in emergencies without the worry of stupid risk assessment health and safety bureaucracy which sounds great in theory but is actually of negative impact. Lets cut the middle man taking from the pocket of the working people in the country. We do not need all of these positions within the vastly inflated public sector.

Stronger private sector making money to support a streamlined public sector that functions as the people want it through direct democracy.

Sounds great to me.
    The commitments are for over the Parliament right?

ie they will be in place by May 2020

Thats six tax years away.

To move the 40% rate from £42k to £45k means it'll go up by 1% a year - which is current Govt policy. Unless you intend on still being on a £45k salary by 2020 the policy is negative, in all likelihood a greater proportion of your earnings will be in the 40% band.

Similar story on the personal allowance, pretty much all the major parties are signed up to raising it to £12,500 by then too.

The inheritance tax one is the only interesting thing in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-L...lection-Pledge

-Abolishment of inheritance tax
    -Raising the starting rate tax is paid so the poorest pay no tax at all
    -Abolishing energy and climate change department
    -Scrapping HS2
    -40% tax rate for middle earners to start a higher rate
    -45% tax rate scrapped
    -Bedroom tax could be abolished and will be decided tomorrow

Thoughts on these? and what else do you think they should include?
    1 - Terrible, terrible idea.
    2 - Good idea, already being done by the Lib Dems.
    3 - Terrible, terrible idea.
    4 - Indifferent.
    5 - No.
    6 - Just no.
    7 - Indifferent, though I'd probably be for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pro Crastination)
    1 - Terrible, terrible idea.
    2 - Good idea, already being done by the Lib Dems.
    3 - Terrible, terrible idea.
    4 - Indifferent.
    5 - No.
    6 - Just no.
    7 - Indifferent, though I'd probably be for that.
    Should a greater proportion of people pay the 40% rate?

This policy by UKIP will being more people into the 40% tax bracket.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, their plans to abolish the climate change department are stupid and unjustifiable. We absolutely must take action on climate change, and a party that ignores masses of scientific evidence on a major threat to the UK is being incredibly irresponsible.

On the other hand, their plan to scrap HS2 is a very good idea. There is a strong environmental case against HS2, and the money should be used elsewhere. But I'm still not going to vote for them.

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait to see the defence and foreign policy. More educated foresight and common sense I hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RFowler)
    Quite frankly, their plans to abolish the climate change department are stupid and unjustifiable. We absolutely must take action on climate change, and a party that ignores masses of scientific evidence on a major threat to the UK is being incredibly irresponsible.

On the other hand, their plan to scrap HS2 is a very good idea. There is a strong environmental case against HS2, and the money should be used elsewhere. But I'm still not going to vote for them.
    Then why don't YOU take action on climate change?

They don't deny the existance of anthropogenic climate change, they deny the ability for government and businesses to exploit the working man with nonsensical policies and overpriced "renewable energy alternatives".

The climate change department is archiac and has achieved nothing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Should a greater proportion of people pay the 40% rate?

This policy by UKIP will being more people into the 40% tax bracket.
    What I read made it sound as if they wished to raise the rate at which an individual earner entered the 40% bracket. In my opinion we should be focusing on the top and the bottom (keeping the 45%, possibly moving the top rate to 50%) and continually reassessing the bottom bracket (but not doing anything crazy such as no tax until £20k or whatever). The number of individuals in the 40% bracket does not have to be reduced.

ReputationRep:
    Great! Who cares if everyone else is worse off, as long as I am better off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)

They don't deny the existance of anthropogenic climate change, they deny the ability for government and businesses to exploit the working man with nonsensical policies and overpriced "renewable energy alternatives".

The climate change department is archiac and has achieved nothing.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    So we'll just scrap any sort of attempt to improve our environment, then? Exactly what plans do UKIP have in terms of ensuring we reduce our dependency on non-renewable fuels for the long run?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Great! Who cares if everyone else is worse off, as long as I am better off!
    The vast majority in the UK identify as middle class. It is the middle classes who have been screwed over the most under previous governments. Its about time we were allowed to bake the cake and eat it ourselves tbh.

And yes I vote to better my situation. Do you think the pissheads and drug addicts are voting for Labour for any other reason than Labour are nice to them and are generous when it comes to welfare?

ReputationRep:
    So we'll just scrap any sort of attempt to improve our environment, then? Exactly what plans do UKIP have in terms of ensuring we reduce our dependency on non-renewable fuels for the long run?
    Historically they supported nuclear power, which gives them a more sensible plan on this than DECG. Not sure if it's still there.

ReputationRep:
    Nuclear power.

And no that is not what they want. You do realise they are very pro green belt and pro national parks anti HS2 etc etc. They love the environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

They don't deny the existance of anthropogenic climate change, they deny the right for government and businesses to exploit the working man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As a student there isn't an awful lot I can do about climate change at the moment. I try to do what I can. But then I'm not among those voting for a party which denies that the problem even exists, which is a start.

I'll wait to see their full manifesto and read in full what they say about it. But how does climate change action "exploit the working man"?

ReputationRep:
    Nuclear power.

And no that is not what they want. You do realise they are very pro green belt and pro national parks anti HS2 etc etc. They love the environment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You might need a Department for Energy to increase use of Nuclear... :P

ReputationRep:
    And yes I vote to better my situation. Do you think the pissheads and drug addicts are voting for Labour for any other reason than Labour are nice to them and are generous when it comes to welfare?
    No, they don't tend to vote at all, actually...

And increasingly they aren't very generous at all despite what the Mail or the Sun might be telling you.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority in the UK identify as middle class. It is the middle classes who have been screwed over the most under previous governments. Its about time we were allowed to bake the cake and eat it ourselves tbh.

I don't really see how raising the 40% tax bracket more slowly than wage growth helps that...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why they bother Nigel Farage will either ignore it or forget there is a manifesto like he did with the last one just like all the others in charge of UKIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    No, they don't tend to vote at all, actually...

And increasingly they aren't very generous at all despite what the Mail or the Sun might be telling you.
    Don't read the Mail and would never read that vermin rag, The Sun.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.