Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I would really like to apply to cambridge for history but I'm wondering if they'll reject my application just after reading my GCSE results. I was diagnosed with dyslexia before my examinations in year 11 and really struggled trying to adapt my learning methods. I got:
    English lit - A
    English language - B
    History - B
    Maths - B
    RS - B
    Resistant Materials - B
    Art - B
    Chemistry - C
    Biology - C
    Physics - C

However, in AS level I got:
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Philosophy - A
    art - A

and at A2

English - A*
    History - A*
    Philosophy - A

along with this, I achieved an A in a historical EPQ and have numerous work placements related to History, such as Museums, charities and with my local MP.

I would love to go to Cambridge but would it be pointless to apply due to my GCSE's?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    They will not reject you on the basis of your GCSE results. The tutors will definitely want to know why they were so low, but you've got a perfectly good explanation - just mention it on the extenuating circumstances form and it'll be absolutely fine. Obviously, your AS and A2 grades are excellent. I don't know what your UMS results are but on the face of it, it looks like you've got a really good chance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm agreed that it'd certainly be worth applying. The GCSEs might count against you, even with the clear and reasonable explanation for your performance, but you have 5 application spaces. With those grades, your chances of getting no offers are tiny. Basically, applying to Cambridge won't hurt, and if it's what you want, you should do it. You have excellent A level grades, and they'd be mad to reject you just on the basis of the GCSEs. You've clearly demonstrated a great commitment to make the improvements you have, and they ought to recognise that.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge state on their own website that they don't care about gcse grades (so long as they are all passes, which yours are).

I can't find the link but I know the page exists. And with such good AS/A2 grades, you should definitely be in
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Moved to University of Cambridge forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louism)
    Hi, I would really like to apply to cambridge for history but I'm wondering if they'll reject my application just after reading my GCSE results. I was diagnosed with dyslexia before my examinations in year 11 and really struggled trying to adapt my learning methods. I got:
    English lit - A
    English language - B
    History - B
    Maths - B
    RS - B
    Resistant Materials - B
    Art - B
    Chemistry - C
    Biology - C
    Physics - C

However, in AS level I got:
    English Literature - A
    History - A
    Philosophy - A
    art - A

and at A2

English - A*
    History - A*
    Philosophy - A

along with this, I achieved an A in a historical EPQ and have numerous work placements related to History, such as Museums, charities and with my local MP.

I would love to go to Cambridge but would it be pointless to apply due to my GCSE's?
    You're in with a decent chance, I think. The faculty doesn't think that gcses are good predictors of ability, whereas a levels are, so if your ums are good you're well placed. They usually say that anyone with 90% average in the best 3 AS levels should apply, and they'll make some allowances for your dyslexia.

Don't make much of work experience on your application; they care about that much less than about your historical views and how you've arrived at them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p.formanko)
    Cambridge state on their own website that they don't care about gcse grades (so long as they are all passes, which yours are).

I can't find the link but I know the page exists. And with such good AS/A2 grades, you should definitely be in
    I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. GCSE results are taken into account just like the many other components of the application. Obviously, your GCSE results are not as important as your AS results and Cambridge are less interested than other universities perhaps, but it's still definitely taken into account and could make a difference if it comes down to making a choice between two otherwise identical candidates. Cambridge state that they have no GCSE requirements apart from passes in core subjects. That does not mean they don't care.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.