Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If girl is on pill should a condom still be used? Watch

As title says, now i myself always want to have safe sex as the possibility of becoming a father at my age (21 going on 22) freaks me the hell out to the point of an anxiety attack

Now if the girl is on the pill does the guy need to use a condom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As title says, now i myself always want to have safe sex as the possibility of becoming a father at my age (21 going on 22) freaks me the hell out to the point of an anxiety attack

Now if the girl is on the pill does the guy need to use a condom?
    It reduces the risk of pregnancy, however a girl being on the pill won't protect you from potentially catching an STI or you passing one on to her. If you're in a relationship and you want to have sex without a condom then it's wise for you both to get checked out to make sure you don't have anything first
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you're just using condoms for contraception, then if she is indeed on the pill and is indeed taking it properly, then using a condom is not going to make much difference for that.

They are useful for other things, including being highly effective at preventing STI transmission and reassuring men who really do not want to be a father that it is unlikely to happen even if she isn't.

(Original post by moonkatt)
    It reduces the risk of pregnancy, however a girl being on the pill won't protect you from potentially catching an STI or you passing one on to her. If you're in a relationship and you want to have sex without a condom then it's wise for you both to get checked out to make sure you don't have anything first
    (Original post by unprinted)
    If you're just using condoms for contraception, then if she is indeed on the pill and is indeed taking it properly, then using a condom is not going to make much difference for that.

They are useful for other things, including being highly effective at preventing STI transmission and reassuring men who really do not want to be a father that it is unlikely to happen even if she isn't.
    We are both clear of STD's we arn't in a relationship ... yet

ReputationRep:
    The pill is highly effective at preventing pregnancy when used properly so if she's taking it correctly then the chance of her getting pregnant is low. If using a condom as well gives you peace of mind then do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I would use both. But I am ridiculously paranoid about these things.

ReputationRep:
    If you trust the girl to take the pill correctly, then it is effective enough that you don't need to worry about it. If there is a risk that she will forget or deliberately not take it, then wrap it up.

ReputationRep:
    Neither the pill nor a condom are 100% fool proof. Both will just add extra protection against pregnancy and account for things such as her forgetting to take the pill. The condom stops STI's whereas the pill doesn't. If I was you, I would definitely use both.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be super safe, yes. This is known as the double dutch method. Also it means you will have control over it, so if the girl forgets to take her pill, you still know you're not going to get her pregnant. Plus it protects against STIs where the pill won't.

ReputationRep:
    YES . a condom aint such a big problem , always use one unless you want to have a child immidiatly . Sometimes pill doesnt work .Always have condoms with you

YES . a condom aint such a big problem , always use one unless you want to have a child immidiatly . Sometimes pill doesnt work .Always have condoms with you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.