Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on choosing between 3 subjects for my fourth Alevel option..
    Along with Bio - OCR, Chem - AQA and Maths - Edexcel.
    I don't really mind which subject I pick at the end of the day so either between:
    Economics - Edexcel
    Pyschology - AQA
    English Lit? although I hate english this may change depending on my GCSE results - AQA

I do intend to pursue a career in medicine and I do want to be a dermatologist/cosmetologist in the future

ReputationRep:
    Don't do English Lit if you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't pick English if you don't like it. Even if you did better than expected at GCSE it's not a sensible idea to choose something you won't enjoy revising further down the line. Seeing as you want to do something in the medicine field, I'd strongly suggest psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    Don't do English Lit if you hate it.
    A lot of people that I've actually spoken to said that doing a subject that differs from the sciences and maths shows that you're a well-rounded student:confused: I didn't exactly hate it I just hated my teacher and the way our entire syllabus was entirely rushed and unprepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitney997)
    I don't really mind which subject I pick at the end of the day so either between:
    Economics - Edexcel
    Pyschology - AQA
    English Lit? although I hate english this may change depending on my GCSE results - AQA

I do intend to pursue a career in medicine and I do want to be a dermatologist/cosmetologist in the future
    Although it is of course up to you, I would suggest not taking English; I recently finished A2 English Lit and unless you are passionate about the subject (or at least really enjoy it) revision can be a real drag. Perhaps Economics would be a good choice as it combines essay writing and economic theory with components of mathematics? Just a thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MATHSPOW!!)
    Don't pick English if you don't like it. Even if you did better than expected at GCSE it's not a sensible idea to choose something you won't enjoy revising further down the line. Seeing as you want to do something in the medicine field, I'd strongly suggest psychology.

Are you doing Psychology?/Have you done Psychology?
    I don't mind doing Psychology however apparently its a lot of content that needs to be crammed etc. I mentioned Economics incase I start to like it and go into the world of finance:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Those are the hardest subjects you can pick, you unless you are 100% committed to medicine, stick with three. However, between Eco and Psych, go with psych. It's easier, but still well respected.

ReputationRep:
    Economics - Edexcel
    Pyschology - AQA

I did the same a-levels as you including further maths as my 4th AS, have you considered FM since it complements the maths a level quite well.

ReputationRep:
    I did a couple weeks of Psychology at AS and I found it to be pretty dull... The units on research methods are very tedious and psychology is a very popular subject at A-Level and so perhaps it wont give you the unique edge that Economics would provide? Again, just a thought At the end of the day you have to be prepared to revise these subjects for your exams so it's best to pick one that really interests you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    Although it is of course up to you, I would suggest not taking English; I recently finished A2 English Lit and unless you are passionate about the subject (or at least really enjoy it) revision can be a real drag. Perhaps Economics would be a good choice as it combines essay writing and economic theory with components of mathematics? Just a thought

I was thinking of doing Economics because I did Business Studies last year and found it quite interesting and the economics teacher in my sixth form college said how its quite similar to Business Studies at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Those are the hardest subjects you can pick, you unless you are 100% committed to medicine, stick with three. However, between Eco and Psych, go with psych. It's easier, but still well respected.
    Did you do Psychology? If so, how did you find learning and memorising the content?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind doing Psychology however apparently its a lot of content that needs to be crammed etc. I mentioned Economics incase I start to like it and go into the world of finance:rolleyes:
    Nope as I'm year 11 like yourself. Apparently the workload is quite high with lots of case studies to remember though. I guess economics if you're good with maths would be less stressful.

ReputationRep:
    Medical Schools do not mind which 4th AS level you choose especially if you plan to drop it after AS! Things you may want to consider:
    1) Most medical schools require you get at least a B in that AS level and 3 As in the other three AS levels, (which you intend to carry on at A2) so pick a subject you'll be able to achieve these grades with!
    2) The Unis may like English Lit as it shows that you're an all rounded individual
    3) You do not want to take a subject which you do not enjoy (English Lit)
    4) Psychology and Economics is related to medicine and different to your other subjects! (So unis may like that)

Personally, I'd chose the A Level which interests you the most and which you think you can get at least a B in!

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA A psychology and I thought it was great. Unit 1 is a bit of a drag though but from unit 2 onwards, it gets more interesting. People always complain about RM but I preferred it to attachments in unit 1 but memory I thought was the best out of the 3.

Psychology isn't a hard subject per se, but there is a lot of research that you need to be able to remember and the names of researchers can confuse you. Other than that though, it's a great break from the sciences and there aren't too many essays at AS

Check out TSR Movie Madness

ReputationRep:
    Did you do Psychology? If so, how did you find learning and memorising the content?
    My friend did. She says your first year is just memorising case studies and doesn't require much actual thought. Can't help you beyond that, but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouieSax)
    Medical Schools do not mind which 4th AS level you choose especially if you plan to drop it after AS! Things you may want to consider:
    1) Most medical schools require you get at least a B in that AS level and 3 As in the other three AS levels, (which you intend to carry on at A2) so pick a subject you'll be able to achieve these grades with!
    2) The Unis may like English Lit as it shows that you're an all rounded individual
    3) You do not want to take a subject which you do not enjoy (English Lit)
    4) Psychology and Economics is related to medicine and different to your other subjects! (So unis may like that)

Personally, I'd chose the A Level which interests you the most and which you think you can get at least a B in!

Thankyou so much
    The content/syllabus for Psychology looks really interesting and apparently its the easiest Alevel compared to the other 3 I chose..
    I was also thinking of Economics because its fairly similar to business studies which i did last year and lets say worse case scenario..I would probably fall back to doing a degree relating to finance of some sort

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much
    The content/syllabus for Psychology looks really interesting and apparently its the easiest Alevel compared to the other 3 I chose..
    I was also thinking of Economics because its fairly similar to business studies which i did last year and lets say worse case scenario..I would probably fall back to doing a degree relating to finance of some sort
    Hmm.. well, my best suggestion is to look at what the entry requirements are for Finance course as a back up. Alternatively, if you want a back up you could always resort to another health care course such as Pharmacy, Paramedic Science or Physiotherapy? That way all your A levels will be relevant?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.