ReputationRep:
    I'm studying... a levels:art,music,geography and english literature

I'm interested in... fashion,art,modelling,playing jazz and classical music

I'm thinking about... starting a levels(scary stuff)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _leanor)
    I'm studying... a levels:art,music,geography and english literature

I'm interested in... fashion,art,modelling,playing jazz and classical music

I'm thinking about... starting a levels(scary stuff)
    Hello there. Welcome to the best student forum there!

I'm currently doing my a-levels. Finishing my first year on Tuesday. If you need any help I recommend you check out Study Help.

We also have other sections you may like. Such Fashion and beauty and Music.

Feel free to ask me anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Hello there. Welcome to the best student forum there!

I'm currently doing my a-levels. Finishing my first year on Tuesday. If you need any help I recommend you check out Study Help.

We also have other sections you may like. Such Fashion and beauty and Music.

Feel free to ask me anything.
    thankyou! so it's the summer before I start my a-levels,do you have any advice on how to prepare?what to get?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    thankyou! so it's the summer before I start my a-levels,do you have any advice on how to prepare?what to get?
    For geography have a look online at some of the videos and sites there are for a-level. Go through some of the course and read into definitions of new words or ideas/concepts you'll study. Just to bridge the gap. So when you come across it in the lesson for the first time you'll have prior background knowledge which means the learning then and there is easier.

The other subjects i'm not to sure about. They are more practical in terms of work you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    For geography have a look online at some of the videos and sites there are for a-level. Go through some of the course and read into definitions of new words or ideas/concepts you'll study. Just to bridge the gap. So when you come across it in the lesson for the first time you'll have prior background knowledge which means the learning then and there is easier.

The other subjects i'm not to sure about. They are more practical in terms of work you have to do.
    okay,thankyou what are you doing for your as levels?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    okay,thankyou what are you doing for your as levels?
    Chemistry, Maths, Computing, Electronics. However I have dropped chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Chemistry, Maths, Computing, Electronics. However I have dropped chemistry.
    have you got any advice for keeping on top of work/being organized?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    have you got any advice for keeping on top of work/being organized?
    Do it when you get it if you can. What i've done the whole of the first year. Done every single piece of private study given. So it seems to work. Also probably best to made good notes which you can use again later. For electronics at the end of each topic I made 2 pages of a4 reviewing and summarising all the work. So when the exam came round. I just had to look at that.

Also you may want a folder for each subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Do it when you get it if you can. What i've done the whole of the first year. Done every single piece of private study given. So it seems to work. Also probably best to made good notes which you can use again later. For electronics at the end of each topic I made 2 pages of a4 reviewing and summarising all the work. So when the exam came round. I just had to look at that.

Also you may want a folder for each subject.
    okay thankyou with the folders,do you keep them at home to put notes in at the end of the day?or do you take them in every day/keep them in your locker? because taking 4 folders everyday seems a bit of a pain
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    okay thankyou with the folders,do you keep them at home to put notes in at the end of the day?or do you take them in every day/keep them in your locker? because taking 4 folders everyday seems a bit of a pain
    We don't have lockers. I have 2 folders. One which is for electronics only and it has all of the work in it. The other is a binder. Which i have computing work at the from then all other work at the back. Then a pad of paper which is maths. I don't take the paper out as it is just a waste of time. So you'd take in what you need for the lesson.

I take the pad of paper in every day as i may need paper at any time. I take the binder in when I have computing. I take the electronics one in when I have it. However you often won't need some of the early stuff. So what some people do it have Home storage folders for old work which you won't need in lessons again. Then a folder you take in which has work you may need or are using. It depends on the subjects though. For art the people at my college have huge plastic ones because they need to take in a3 or larger art work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    We don't have lockers. I have 2 folders. One which is for electronics only and it has all of the work in it. The other is a binder. Which i have computing work at the from then all other work at the back. Then a pad of paper which is maths. I don't take the paper out as it is just a waste of time. So you'd take in what you need for the lesson.

I take the pad of paper in every day as i may need paper at any time. I take the binder in when I have computing. I take the electronics one in when I have it. However you often won't need some of the early stuff. So what some people do it have Home storage folders for old work which you won't need in lessons again. Then a folder you take in which has work you may need or are using. It depends on the subjects though. For art the people at my college have huge plastic ones because they need to take in a3 or larger art work.
    okay,that's really helpful thankyou do you keep stationary in a pencil case?also do you need to take highlighters/post-it notes to lessons for the more academic subjects like geography and english lit?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    okay,that's really helpful thankyou do you keep stationary in a pencil case?also do you need to take highlighters/post-it notes to lessons for the more academic subjects like geography and english lit?
    Post it notes not really needed in college. This is the contents of my pencil case.

I wouldn't see you needing any more than that. Except for art where you may need special pens or pencils.

There are some people at college who just have a pen and do fine. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Post it notes not really needed in college. This is the contents of my pencil case.

I wouldn't see you needing any more than that. Except for art where you may need special pens or pencils.

There are some people at college who just have a pen and do fine. :laugh:
    oh okay:') thankyou!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.