Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IB Remark+resit questions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, after my disappointing marks, I was wondering if remarks have a good possibility of going up a grade?
    English Literature HL I am exactly on the grade boundary - requiring 1 more mark for the next grade
    Spanish Ab Initio 3 marks off
    Mathematics SL 1 mark off

I was wondering if especially the Eng Lit HL could go up?
    And also what is the deadline for the remark requests?

If the remarks come back and didn't change would there be enough time by then to apply for a retake of subjects?

Thank you in advance!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idjun123)
    Hello, after my disappointing marks, I was wondering if remarks have a good possibility of going up a grade?
    English Literature HL I am exactly on the grade boundary - requiring 1 more mark for the next grade
    Spanish Ab Initio 3 marks off
    Mathematics SL 1 mark off

And also what is the deadline for the remark requests?

If the remarks come back and didn't change would there be enough time by then to apply for a retake of subjects?

Thank you in advance!
    Hello

Have you checked out our guidance on IB resits and retakes? There is an article all about it here. It's best to talk to your IB coordinator and see what they think about this. You can retake in November.

In terms of a remark.... it sounds like you were incredibly close in the fact you were on the grade boundary.

"You should also consider the option of remarking any papers that are close to the next grade boundary. The papers you send back for remarking will be marked by another examiner and moderated by a senior moderator."

Contact IB directly for confirmation of remark submissions to make sure you have the correct date.

(Original post by Calllu-m)
    x
    Calllu-m what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and link I am currently overseas from my school and my IBC is unreachable by email so ><
    I will check it out right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idjun123)

And also what is the deadline for the requests

(Original post by She-Ra)

Calllu-m what do you think?

Thanks She-Ra!

I would recommend getting English remarked! It's so subjective that it's very likely to go up rather than down

If you're remarking you won't have time to register for the Nov session but if you still need to resit, you can do so in may

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Callu-m!
    I will definitely get English remarked since it is my HL after all
    Any ideas how much it costs per subject?
    and I've read somewhere that if the remark results in a change in grades you will receive a refund but
    Im pretty sure the source I read it from was pretty outdated so it might've changed.

Also from the article She-Ra linked me, you can apply for both remarks and retakes, but if you are happy with
    the changes from the remarks you can cancel the retake submission(s).
    " If you decide to send some of your papers for remarking and the grade improves, it's possible to withdraw the registration for the subject concerned on request from the coordinator. "
    So I can still remark and still retake for Nov session or cancel the retake right? It's because I'd rather start university next year February
    And is there any refunds to cancelling the retake?

Sorry theres so many questions but it doesn't hurt to always know... and my IBC is on a beach somewhere in Hawaii at the moment haha ><

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too happy with my HL chemistry, HL business or SL German ab initio results. I think I'll do a chem retake in November for sure! :-(

ReputationRep:
    When you request for a remark, do you request by subject (ex. English HL) or by paper (ex. Paper 1 English HL)? I'm asking because I want to have my English HL remarked because I was 3 points away from the boundary. However, my IB coordinator wants me to wait for my component grades... Thanks to anyone who can respond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noosjuice)
    When you request for a remark, do you request by subject (ex. English HL) or by paper (ex. Paper 1 English HL)? I'm asking because I want to have my English HL remarked because I was 3 points away from the boundary. However, my IB coordinator wants me to wait for my component grades... Thanks to anyone who can respond.

You get the papers remarked, so if you achieved full marks in your papers but did really bad in everything else, a remark wouldn't change anything

ReputationRep:
    Do they remark by subject (ex. English) or my paper (ex. paper 1 english, paper 2 english, etc)? I want to have one of my papers remarked but my coordinator is waiting for the breakdown of component grades for my English A1 HL grade.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I want to get my English Lit HL (2 marks from 7) and History HL (2 marks from 6) remarked. My teacher also wants me to wait for my component grades and says that we have to be "very careful" about whether to request for remarking or not. I actually got 38 because I was really lucky with getting 3 bonus points, but I can't really get into any universities with 665 in my higher levels.

Is it MY RIGHT to choose if I want to get my exams remarked??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krelle111)
    Hi guys.

I want to get my English Lit HL (2 marks from 7) and History HL (2 marks from 6) remarked. My teacher also wants me to wait for my component grades and says that we have to be "very careful" about whether to request for remarking or not. I actually got 38 because I was really lucky with getting 3 bonus points, but I can't really get into any universities with 665 in my higher levels.

Is it MY RIGHT to choose if I want to get my exams remarked??
    How do we see component grades? Do teachers show them to us or do we get to access them on the candidates' reply site?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noosjuice)
    How do we see component grades? Do teachers show them to us or do we get to access them on the candidates' reply site?
    You ask your IB coordinator to show them to you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.