Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everybody wants to be a geek now? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So what are your thoughts TSR'ians? Does playing Xbox or PS qualify as geeky?

Has society just ran out of ideas for what is required to be popular. Is stealing the geek title/fashion an insult, or is it finally the integration of the geeks into the mainstream?

Discuss at will...

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I don't really think hipsters qualify as being nerds, nor do I think owning or playing a games console qualifies you as one. On a similar note, I'm inanely irritated by people who wear lenseless, thick-rimmed glasses. I need mine to see, damn it. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrEFeynman)
    So what are your thoughts TSR'ians? Does playing Xbox or PS qualify as geeky?

Has society just ran out of ideas for what is required to be popular. Is stealing the geek title/fashion an insult, or is it finally the integration of the geeks into the mainstream?

Discuss at will...
    Working at ones craft and trying to do well in something positive like coding or homework and class work is a geek.
    Being a geek requires long hours of revision.

Playing xbox is not being a geek. Any old chav can do that.

ReputationRep:
    This captured a lot of my feelings on the issue:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/...ure_not_a_nerd

It really annoyed me when people who had spent the whole of high school screwing, having lots of friends, cruising Facebook, drinking, playing videogames, doing the bare minimum to get their grades for uni and doing their wide range of non-nerdy hobbies, then decided that they "****ing love science" on Facebook and started calling themselves nerds.

Really, well then as the article says, stop clicking links on Facebook and start doing science.

As I think the article says, nerd is a hard-won title, which I wouldn't even give myself (I don't have the expertise in any areas to qualify), and involves obsessive study of something like mathematics, at the expense of social status, hygiene, wider interests etc.

I mean, you can be intelligent and knowledgeable and do all the stuff that people "having a life" do, but that's not being a nerd, is it?

Richard Feynman had a decent life (though as he said himself, he was pretty narrow in focusing largely on physics in his life), and for this reason I might not even call him a "nerd", in spite of his obvious expertise.

The other thing is, videogames don't make you a nerd, in general. Perhaps certain videogames and a detailed knowledge of them would help. But mainstream shooters and football games alone don't really make you a nerd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freudian Slip)
    Heh, I don't really think hipsters qualify as being nerds, nor do I think owning or playing a games console qualifies you as one. On a similar note, I'm inanely irritated by people who wear lenseless, thick-rimmed glasses. I need mine to see, damn it. :emo:
    Nerds and Geeks are two entirely different terms.

A nerd is a clever person.

A geek is a socially defunct gamer.

the geek shall inherit the earth

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Friendly Liberal)
      Nerds and Geeks are two entirely different terms.

A nerd is a clever person.

A geek is a socially defunct gamer.
      Ah, that's my mistake, I've been using the terms interchangeably all this time... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      the geek shall inherit the earth
      I have that on a bag.

I would call obsessive video gamers geeks, but I wouldn't call them nerds.

ReputationRep:
      Down with the hipsters! :fuhrer:

(Original post by PsychadelicScarf)
        I have that on a bag.

I would call obsessive video gamers geeks, but I wouldn't call them nerds.
        :gah:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.