Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For the AQA controlled assessment, what kinds of words are we not allowed to use more than three times? I was wondering if I would be allowed to use the following words more than three times:
    Mais
    Dans
    J'ai
    Suis
    Était
    Sont

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sindybob)
    For the AQA controlled assessment, what kinds of words are we not allowed to use more than three times? I was wondering if I would be allowed to use the following words more than three times:
    Mais
    Dans
    J'ai
    Suis
    Était
    Sont
    Can't talk about AQA specifically as I did CIE. However:

Mais should be replaced time to time. Such as "par contre" (however, on the other hand nuance)

Others are être and avoir which are hard to replace with. Think about to be and to have in English. They are hard to replace with. Especially in French, être and avoir are important grammatical particles such as in passé composé so I wouldn't worry about them coming up too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mais
    Dans
    J'ai
    Suis
    Était
    Sont
    I don't really know which ones not to use more than three times. However, perhaps you should think about what you could use instead of those words?

ReputationRep:
    Some words you will use more than three times, such as conjugations of être and avoir. However, try to reword your sentences to use different verbs. In terms of connectives, there are so many that you shouldn't really be using more than once, because there are so many different connectives. If you need any more help just quote me or PM me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I wouldn't worry too much about repeating verbs because, like others have said, it's sometimes necessary to do that, and certain verbs will only make sense in certain contexts, so it's hard to find alternatives.

Maybe you could focus more on ensuring that you don't repeat adjectives and connectives - with those there is a greater range that you can use, and with a good variety of them, it looks impressive to examiners. If you search online for lists, there are loads for adjectives and connectives

ReputationRep:
    Mais
    Dans
    J'ai
    Suis
    Était
    Sont
    It's hard to avoid repeating things such as J'ai and Je suis, but you could consider opening your sentences differently i.e instead of... Je suis bavard. Je suis de taille moyenne. Aussi, je suis un garcon. You could say... Mes amis disent que je suis bavard. En plus, je suis un garcon de taille moyenne.

But you will be marked down for repeating words like mais because there are endless replacements.
    Par contre = on the other hand
    Cependant = however
    D'une cote.... D'autre cote.... = on the other hand
    néanmoins
    pourtant
    toutefois
    etc.
    you can use http://www.synonyms-fr.com/ if you are stuck. why don't you post your work in the thread and we can offer suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Use other words for "mais"- it's the easiest to replace and you'll get more marks for it. My French writing was marked down because I didn't use a very wide range of connectives and linking words, so make sure you research at least three others to use. Expressions such as "a mon avis" (in my opinion) are good as they bring your mark up.
    If you're aiming high, you may want to use French expressions to make your teacher impressed- things like everyday expressions like "it's raining cats and dogs" or "he let the cat out of the bag".
    Is it one of those exams where you have to write 200 words? If so, my teacher said that 250 will get you a b grade, 300 will get you an a-a*. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.