Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I got my scores today and I didn't pass the IB diploma because the scores of my 3 HL courses were 11 and not 12. I was wondering about whether I can retake the IB diploma and how it works?

Like is it possible to reregister and take all the exams again? And how do you go about doing this? If I get a better grade this time will I get the IB diploma then?

Lastly is it worth it? Retaking the exams and waiting a year? Because I don't have a lot of options, it's either I do this (if its possible) or go to a sh*te college doing a worse program.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I personally don't do IB- but I have friends that have just finished the IB (waiting for their results today!) and I was initially going to do IB however I decided on A Levels at the last minute, so I know a little about it. I saw no-one has commented yet, so I thought I'd try my best and give you some advice!

Regarding retaking the IB, I personally don't know a lot about that- I'm sure there is a way you could possibly do a retake exam in your 3 HL subjects, or maybe have them remarked as you were so close to that 12?

In regards to other options- have you considered doing A levels? As you will only have to choose 4 options, you will be able to focus your studies rather than space them out as you have to with the IB- this could be beneficial to you and you could end up with higher grades? If you study subjects similar to what you did with the IB then you will have a good background knowledge for the A-Level subjects?

Or have you thought about doing a BTEC or apprenticeship? There is such a wide variety of BTEC courses now- ranging from the more traditional hair and beauty and childcare, to forensic science, applied sciences, sports science and media! These usually last 1/2 years and could lead you straight into a job or could get you into university!

Many companies now offer apprenticeships, I know a lot of people may look down on them- but some companies really do offer some amazing ones! You can do managerial apprenticeships with many chains, this gives you experience and you are already making money and working your way up the job ladder as you learn! This might be a good option if you're not particularly interested in having to wait another year for exams!

I hope I've been of some help and if you need to chat about anything else message me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibruhbruhs)
    Hi,

I got my scores today and I didn't pass the IB diploma because the scores of my 3 HL courses were 11 and not 12. I was wondering about whether I can retake the IB diploma and how it works?

Like is it possible to reregister and take all the exams again? And how do you go about doing this? If I get a better grade this time will I get the IB diploma then?

Lastly is it worth it? Retaking the exams and waiting a year? Because I don't have a lot of options, it's either I do this (if its possible) or go to a sh*te college doing a worse program.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Our guide to IB retakes and resits here, hopefully you'll find this helpful

"you can retake papers in the November exam session, or the following May. Bear in mind, though, that May 2015 is the last opportunity you'll get to retake. IB regulations state that candidates get a maximum of three exam sessions in which to obtain the diploma."

You may decide that you want to do A-levels instead? Have a think and maybe read through this guide too before weighing up your options
    (Original post by skd1996)
    Hi,

In regards to other options- have you considered doing A levels? As you will only have to choose 4 options, you will be able to focus your studies rather than space them out as you have to with the IB- this could be beneficial to you and you could end up with higher grades? If you study subjects similar to what you did with the IB then you will have a good background knowledge for the A-Level subjects?

Or have you thought about doing a BTEC or apprenticeship? There is such a wide variety of BTEC courses now- ranging from the more traditional hair and beauty and childcare, to forensic science, applied sciences, sports science and media! These usually last 1/2 years and could lead you straight into a job or could get you into university!

Many companies now offer apprenticeships, I know a lot of people may look down on them- but some companies really do offer some amazing ones! You can do managerial apprenticeships with many chains, this gives you experience and you are already making money and working your way up the job ladder as you learn! This might be a good option if you're not particularly interested in having to wait another year for exams!

I hope I've been of some help and if you need to chat about anything else message me!
    Really lovely advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skd1996)
    Hi,

I personally don't do IB- but I have friends that have just finished the IB (waiting for their results today!) and I was initially going to do IB however I decided on A Levels at the last minute, so I know a little about it. I saw no-one has commented yet, so I thought I'd try my best and give you some advice!

Regarding retaking the IB, I personally don't know a lot about that- I'm sure there is a way you could possibly do a retake exam in your 3 HL subjects, or maybe have them remarked as you were so close to that 12?

Hey! Thank you for that, I hadn't thought about other options. I'm still trying to see what is possible at the moment, but dw you've been a lot of help, it is much appreciated! And goodluck to your friends with their grades!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Our guide to IB retakes and resits here, hopefully you'll find this helpful

"you can retake papers in the November exam session, or the following May. Bear in mind, though, that May 2015 is the last opportunity you'll get to retake. IB regulations state that candidates get a maximum of three exam sessions in which to obtain the diploma."

You may decide that you want to do A-levels instead? Have a think and maybe read through this guide too before weighing up your options

Really lovely advice
    Ah thank you for the links and advice, will definitely keep it in mind!

ReputationRep:
    I retook a year of IB, since the grades I achieved after my first 2 years were not enough to get me into a good (by my standards) university.
    I looked at my grades and found the subjects I knew i couldn't improve on, for me that was Higher Level Biology and French SL, I was happy with those grades, so I decided to 'keep them', this meant not retaking the exams for these subjects.
    Since the IB allows you take your exams over 3 sessions, I then looked at my results and wondered which subject I struggled most with balancing the revision for, and found that it was psychology HL, which is content heavy. I decided to take the Psychology exam in November on its own so that i could focus purely on revising for that, and it paid off, I got a 6
    I then looked at my final 3 subjects, English HL, Math Studies and Chemistry SL, I was going to go for another year of teaching and take those in May, so again there were less exams to focus on and they would be spread out.
    I got 29 the first time I took IB, and I finished this year with 37, it really really can be done, you just have to want it.
    This was just my experience, I hope you are able to do what you need to do, best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.