Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm thinking of applying to SOAS next academic year.
    i've just sat my IB mocks and I think i might be predicted a 36/37.
    i want to apply for international relations and politics however i know for sure I wont be predicted a 38, instead I'd probably be predicted a 37.
    Can i still apply via UCAS????

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can... you can apply for whatever you want.

All unis will pretty much make more offers than they have places anyways + its hardly uncommon for unis to give an offer to students just for the sake of it.

You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    yes, and go for it, good enough, as selection criteria for IR and Politics are not solely academic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AcuraIntergurl)
    i want to apply for international relations and politics however i know for sure I wont be predicted a 38, instead I'd probably be predicted a 37.
    SOAS want 38 with 7/6/6. How close are you likely to get with both sets of conditions?

By all means apply with one of your five choices - but be prepared for possible rejection. Make sure your other choices are within your predicted range.

ReputationRep:
    If your predicted grades don't reach their stated minimum, you won't be considered. You can certainly put it on your Ucas form, but it is likely to be a wasted space. Th minimum requirements are just that - a minimum - and you would need to have something very substantial indeed to overcome a shortfall in them. The grades are there for a reason, and if you can't reach the minimum, you won't be able to cope with the course.

ReputationRep:
    If you are predicted 38 and actual is 37, there is a possibility or likelihood you will still be accepted, although it actually depend on number of places still available after all those who met their conditions have taken their places. Your question of whether you will be offered if you are predicted 37 is a question best answered by the Admissions Tutor who would be able to give you a better idea, even though it may appear that you already do not meet the minimum grades. Ask SOAS, no harm asking. Only they know whether those courses are likely to be undersubscribed. In terms of academic capability, there is nothing really much separating someone with 37 and another with 38, is there? It is just a question of places. That's why there is Clearing to help fill up those places with students who may not meet the conditional offers but still good enough to succeed in the course. Just an email, that's all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.