Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

listening to an audio book while also reading the same book Watch

ReputationRep:
    is it cheating

ReputationRep:
    Some people have trouble understanding books when they read, for many reasons. Listening to an audio version of it isn't cheating and many people like it better because it is easier to understand. Give it a try maybe you will like listening to audio books too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    is it cheating
    'Cheating'?

In what way could it be cheating...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    'Cheating'?

In what way could it be cheating...?
    Now I'm reading a game of thrones, i find it easier to understand when im listening to the audiobook while also reading the book. Feels like i won't gain any benefits that comes with reading because im just listening while looking at the words in the book.

ReputationRep:
    I find reading an Audio Book requires the same amount of concentration anyway. I can't multitask one bit while listening to one.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm reading a game of thrones, i find it easier to understand when im listening to the audiobook while also reading the book. Feels like i won't gain any benefits that comes with reading because im just listening while looking at the words in the book.
    Ah, I see.

I guess the benefits of reading don't necessarily come from the act of reading itself - it's also about being exposed to new ideas and language and complex story lines... So if it helps you understand, read the book and listen to the audio, it's fine. Just so long as you can enjoy books, that's all that really matters.

If you want to practise just the skill of reading itself, why don't you try starting small -maybe just 15 minutes at a time - so you can really concentrate and understand. Then you can build it up gradually until you can read and understand for long periods at a time.

ReputationRep:
    is it cheating
    I did it for 1984 by George Orwell. I'm quite a slow reader and when I read a book (fiction) I usually don't understand whats going on for some reason. When I listened a long with an audiobook it made me read the book much faster and made it more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex-Torres)
    I did it for 1984 by George Orwell. I'm quite a slow reader and when I read a book (fiction) I usually don't understand whats going on for some reason. When I listened a long with an audiobook it made me read the book much faster and made it more fun.
    Out of curiosity - is this because when you read you read the words out loud in you head? I've had conversations with other people who find reading fiction difficult for this reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.