Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scary Film Challenge. I'm not a fan of horror. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im the type of person that hide behind a pillow when seeing a really scary face.

I've decided for me and my family to break free from this bubble.
    I've watched things like Paranormal activity(All of them) and Insidious(1st one) with no real scare.
    Other things I've watched.

Creep,Jeepers Creepers,The Woman In Black, Cry Wolf ,The Hills have Eyes (1+2) ,Texas Chainsaw Massacre .Stuff like that

"I've all of a sudden decided to grow some balls " to watch scary films and test my limit.

I want to watch The Conjuring and Insidious 2.

Help me fill with any suggestions that will test me .

1.?
    2?
    3.?
    4.?
    5.The Conjuring.

BTW I'll be watching these with my family

Give

ReputationRep:
    Martyrs

ReputationRep:
    REC is supposedly quite frightening.

ReputationRep:
    What film has basically scared the sh#t out of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    THIS. This film ruined my life.

ReputationRep:
    The Grudge
    The Ring
    Saw- not really scary, just gruesome.

ReputationRep:
    The Purge
    Stitches
    Drag me to hell
    would you rather

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    The Purge
    Stitches
    Drag me to hell
    would you rather
    TBH, The Purge was dumb. The ending was crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
    TBH, The Purge was dumb. The ending was crap.
    It was but it did make me scream haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    It was but it did make me scream haha
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if we're purely talking jump scare type stuff (Insidious et al do this at times)

Or disturbing..

Disturbing wise...

Megan Is Missing and Inside due to content matter.

Then there's A Serbian film....also due to content tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soso2)
    Martyrs
    One of my favourite films of all time.

(Original post by 061194)
    Im the type of person that hide behind a pillow when seeing a really scary face.

I've decided for me and my family to break free from this bubble.
    I've watched things like Paranormal activity(All of them) and Insidious(1st one) with no real scare.
    Other things I've watched.

Creep,Jeepers Creepers,The Woman In Black, Cry Wolf ,The Hills have Eyes (1+2) ,Texas Chainsaw Massacre .Stuff like that

"I've all of a sudden decided to grow some balls " to watch scary films and test my limit.

I want to watch The Conjuring and Insidious 2.

Help me fill with any suggestions that will test me .

1.?
    2?
    3.?
    4.?
    5.The Conjuring.

BTW I'll be watching these with my family

Give
    It depends on what you mean by 'push yourself' OP.

If you want to be mentally scarred, I recommend I Spit on Your Grave to start with, then Salo and A Serbian Film. They aren't really scary as such though, just disturbing (I suggest IMDB'ing them first). All these films are based on various torture. Others include The Girl Next Door (one of the first disturbing films I watched) and The Last House of the Left (I think that's the one. I may be mixing it with something a little softer I can't remember)

In terms of scary horrors, I don't know why but the one I found scariest was Mama. Julia's Eyes was fantastic, although it's in Spanish. I also recommend Hostel perhaps, I think it's the only film I've watched where I have had to physically look away from the screen and I've seen some weird stuff. The Collector was a clever film, not exactly terrifying though.

As someone said above, Martyrs is a great film, it's not that disturbing as such, but it's scary and one of the best films I've ever seen, despite it being in French and needing subs. Definitely if you want to 'push your limits'

Paranormal Activity was absolute c*** too hahah

EDIT: I just saw "I'll be watching this with my family". Don't watch anything in the first paragraph with your family imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    (Original post by skd1996)
    THIS. This film ruined my life.
    aware me?/

ReputationRep:
    You'll earn my respect if you can watch The Human Centipede without hiding under your pillow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    You'll earn my respect if you can watch The Human Centipede without hiding under your pillow.
    Human Centipede 1 is actually pretty tame compared to some other films once you get past the initial shock of what the doctor does- Human Centipede 2 is a whole other ballgame though..

ReputationRep:
    A few other films I recommend:

The Crazies
    Carriers
    Quarantine (The american version of REC- REC is 100% better but if you can't deal with the subtitles this is a good one!)
    The Descent
    Eden Lake
    Exam

Also- try watching the TV series American Horror Story- incredibly scary in small, 45 minute chunks- perfect to break into the genre!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skd1996)
    Human Centipede 1 is actually pretty tame compared to some other films once you get past the initial shock of what the doctor does- Human Centipede 2 is a whole other ballgame though..
    I actually got too scared to finish Human Centipede 2

ReputationRep:
    The ring (Japanese version) it takes scary to a whole new level so be warned.

Oh wow there's a second one? First one wasn't even that bad, not sure why everyone said it was disgusting pretty humorous having someone's face stuck to your ass XD.

ReputationRep:
    I found it more gross than scary- have you tried watching the unbanned/uncut version?

(Original post by Dilzo999)
    Oh wow there's a second one? First one wasn't even that bad, not sure why everyone said it was disgusting pretty humorous having someone's face stuck to your ass XD.
    Yes, the second one is a bit more messed up. It follows a man that becomes obsessed with the first Human Centipede film, and he traps a lot more people. There's self mutilation, laxatives, rape, barbed wire, dead babies- it's very disgusting. But once again, not scary. *Note: sorry to anyone who read that and didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Oculus has just been in the cinema, that did really scare me aha although I'm not the bravest when it comes to horrors

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.