Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    I am looking to go to higher education after I complete my current BTEC Level 3 course. Although I'm getting a bit confused in what actually separates a foundation degree and an honors degree (Apart from looking better on your CV and the honors degree taking longer to complete)
    I am looking to finish the BTEC at a D*D*D at least.
    I am looking to apply for:
    Foundation degree: applied Computing
    (Bsc) honors: Computing with networking (Bournemouth Uni)
    Could someone please help me in pointing out what my job prospects would be after I complete either of the degrees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danspyer)
    Hello all,
    I am looking to go to higher education after I complete my current BTEC Level 3 course. Although I'm getting a bit confused in what actually separates a foundation degree and an honors degree (Apart from looking better on your CV and the honors degree taking longer to complete)
    I am looking to finish the BTEC at a D*D*D at least.
    I am looking to apply for:
    Foundation degree: applied Computing
    (Bsc) honors: Computing with networking (Bournemouth Uni)
    Could someone please help me in pointing out what my job prospects would be after I complete either of the degrees?
    A foundation degree doesn't equate to an honours degree, it gets you up to standard to begin one. It's basically the equivalent to having a good set of A-Level/BTEC qualifications, which you already seem to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    A foundation degree doesn't equate to an honours degree, it gets you up to standard to begin one. It's basically the equivalent to having a good set of A-Level/BTEC qualifications, which you already seem to.
    Thats cleared it up a bit for me now, thank you. Have you any idea what jobs i could expect to get if I went with the foundation degree? (Just inquisitive)

ReputationRep:
    Thats cleared it up a bit for me now, thank you. Have you any idea what jobs i could expect to get if I went with the foundation degree? (Just inquisitive)
    The same level of jobs you could get with your BTECs. It would be a stupid option to just do the foundation and not the actual bachelors degree though, because the foundation degree will not increase your job prospects on its own. It gets you up to the level to start uni, not to start work in that industry.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting D*D*D in your BTEC...why not sit A Level maths? Then you'll be at the standard to start into university as soon as you finish rather than doing a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    The uni courses I'm looking at don't require A level maths, not as far as I'm aware 😉
    Yeah just double checked none require A level maths only computer science needs maths and I'm not interested in that
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The uni courses I'm looking at don't require A level maths, not as far as I'm aware ������
    Yeah just double checked none require A level maths only computer science needs maths and I'm not interested in that
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well then you don't need to do a foundation degree at all. As long as you possess the units that they require then you can apply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.