Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much of 'uni life' will I miss out on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got CFS/ME so basically I never fully recovered from being a sick-kid and having glandular fever 3 times in 6 months was the last straw. This pretty much means my brain+body energy is ****ed up and doesn't always match up (sometimes my brain's fine but I'm bedridden, sometimes my brain's dead but I could run a marathon, sometimes I'm a zombie and sometimes I'm close to 'normal' but relying on adrenaline so I have a 'crash' for some days/weeks after overdoing it). My skin is also on some auto-immune suicidal mission so it's flushed, swollen, rash-y and painful most of the time with the added bonuses of swelling giving me an au natural duckface plus sometimes temporary blinding me for that extra boost of self-confidence There are tonnes of other symptoms but they're the ones that affect me most in my day-to-day life and that. I've decided not to take a year out (this thing lasts 6 months to a lifetime and I'm around 18 months in) but I was also hoping to be on the mend by now because I had a false-hope sign of recovery a couple months back.

I was talking to my homeopath yesterday though (standard medicine literally had nothing for this illness) and she told me there was no way I could start having late nights out or a bad diet at uni cause my life has to be as stable as possible to keep this thing under 'control' and stop it from worsening. I thought she was kidding to start with but she was dead serious meaning that's basically zero parties for me :/

I was also hoping to be healthy enough to be able to start up my snowboarding, hiking, netball and swimming again and some new stuff too but I'm probably only going to be able to do one of them seeing as on most days I'm literally out of breath after climbing stairs.

How much is this going to affect my life at uni and my 'student experience'? :/ I'm feeling really down about it right now but there's no way out of it because it's my health so I can't **** up any more than I already have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    I've got CFS/ME so basically I never fully recovered from being a sick-kid and having glandular fever 3 times in 6 months was the last straw. This pretty much means my brain+body energy is ****ed up and doesn't always match up (sometimes my brain's fine but I'm bedridden, sometimes my brain's dead but I could run a marathon, sometimes I'm a zombie and sometimes I'm close to 'normal' but relying on adrenaline so I have a 'crash' for some days/weeks after overdoing it). My skin is also on some auto-immune suicidal mission so it's flushed, swollen, rash-y and painful most of the time with the added bonuses of swelling giving me an au natural duckface plus sometimes temporary blinding me for that extra boost of self-confidence There are tonnes of other symptoms but they're the ones that affect me most in my day-to-day life and that. I've decided not to take a year out (this thing lasts 6 months to a lifetime and I'm around 18 months in) but I was also hoping to be on the mend by now because I had a false-hope sign of recovery a couple months back.

I was talking to my homeopath yesterday though (standard medicine literally had nothing for this illness) and she told me there was no way I could start having late nights out or a bad diet at uni cause my life has to be as stable as possible to keep this thing under 'control' and stop it from worsening. I thought she was kidding to start with but she was dead serious meaning that's basically zero parties for me :/

I was also hoping to be healthy enough to be able to start up my snowboarding, hiking, netball and swimming again and some new stuff too but I'm probably only going to be able to do one of them seeing as on most days I'm literally out of breath after climbing stairs.

How much is this going to affect my life at uni and my 'student experience'? :/ I'm feeling really down about it right now but there's no way out of it because it's my health so I can't **** up any more than I already have.
    There is no one set path to having a great time at uni.

A number will not always be about parties, taking part in societies and activities and getting yourself busy with hobbies you enjoy, whilst making new friends to enjoy them with can be just as great.

It doesn't mean that you can't be friends with people that like to party either, but knowing your limits and setting them out for yourself, and people will respect that, and you will get peer pressure at times. Even going out, you can be the responsible one and still have a nice time

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, except the whole concept of partying hard and what not. You just need to put your health first. I know personally some people who have ME and they get on fine in their lives because they know what the limit is for their bodies. As someone already stated before in this thread, no one will have a set path for a great time at Uni, it is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    There is no one set path to having a great time at uni.

A number will not always be about parties, taking part in societies and activities and getting yourself busy with hobbies you enjoy, whilst making new friends to enjoy them with can be just as great.

It doesn't mean that you can't be friends with people that like to party either, but knowing your limits and setting them out for yourself, and people will respect that, and you will get peer pressure at times. Even going out, you can be the responsible one and still have a nice time
    Thanks.

(Original post by maryamzahid)
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, except the whole concept of partying hard and what not. You just need to put your health first. I know personally some people who have ME and they get on fine in their lives because they know what the limit is for their bodies. As someone already stated before in this thread, no one will have a set path for a great time at Uni, it is what you make of it.
    Thanks, any idea how hard it was for people around them to understand? The majority of my 'friends' from school have been massive dicks about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Thanks, any idea how hard it was for people around them to understand? The majority of my 'friends' from school have been massive dicks about it.
    Just tell them straight, that you have ME. Explain to them some of the major symptoms and they will get the idea Many will sympathise with you, others won't but honestly, it doesn't matter much. Which Uni are you thinking of going to btw?

ReputationRep:
    It will affect you exactly as much as YOU let it. The illness will only restrict you as much as you let it. Respect the limitations it puts on you but don't become a slave to it and you'll have a ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamzahid)
    Just tell them straight, that you have ME. Explain to them some of the major symptoms and they will get the idea Many will sympathise with you, others won't but honestly, it doesn't matter much. Which Uni are you thinking of going to btw?
    Yeah will do, it's not really the sympathy though more of the understanding that I won't be able to keep up with everything and I'm not anti-social, just ill :/ Manchester hopefully, where are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doom_rever)
    It will affect you exactly as much as YOU let it. The illness will only restrict you as much as you let it. Respect the limitations it puts on you but don't become a slave to it and you'll have a ball.
    Easier said than done seeing as it's pretty erratic and uncontrollable but I get what you're saying, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    sub'd so i can reply later.

ReputationRep:
    As far as not going to parties goes, I wouldn't worry too much! I went to two nights out in freshers, probably 4 nights out in my first semester and went a bit crazy at the end of second but lets ignore that.
    The people I met on those nights out, I barely talk to now and I have made friends and have a pretty good social life despite my lack of partying at the start of the year!
    Also, the fact you're going to be joining at least one society will really put you at an advantage in terms of making friends.
    Obviously not everyone will be as understanding as others about your condition, but those people wont really ve worth your effort! I'm sure you'll make a good set of friends and have a great social life when you're not in zombie mode :P
    Like a few others have said, the uni experience is what you make it an it sounds like you're pretty determined to have a good time so you will! Don't worry so much, just have fun and look after yourself (and don't forget to study )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah will do, it's not really the sympathy though more of the understanding that I won't be able to keep up with everything and I'm not anti-social, just ill :/ Manchester hopefully, where are you?
    I can understand the situation you're in, so I hope things are good for you at Uni and cool, I'm going Liverpool, what course you wanting to do?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.