Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If coca cola is a secret, how do they make it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The recipe for coca-cola is apparently a secret and they sell the syrup as a franchise to bottling plants around the world where they add carbonated water. Also apparently only 3 people know the exact recipe of the syrup, but then that would mean only 3 people could make the syrup for the whole world because they are the only people that can mix all of the ingredients together without other workers finding out what the ingredients are?

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that a secret adjudicator inputs the ingredients into a machine electronically which makes the cola?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friendly Liberal)
    I'd imagine that a secret adjudicator inputs the ingredients into a machine electronically which makes the cola?

But they would have to order all of the ingredients as well. Or if the make them they would need multiple people to produce the ingredients.

Can confirm, I am one of those 3 people.
      • Study Helper
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
      Since i'm one of the others. PM me and prove it.

Spoiler:
      Show
      *evil grin*

ReputationRep:

.......... so how do the logistics of making the syrup work then?

ReputationRep:
      it's just a mixture of plant extracts, not even that hard to synthesise in the lab.

ReputationRep:
      It's probably all done by machine. People will import the ingredients, but then anyone can know the ingredients in Coke by the label, you just don't know how much is in it

ReputationRep:
      Oh right 3 people know how to make it. I was told 7 do by my lecturer.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by AdamCee)
      It's probably all done by machine. People will import the ingredients, but then anyone can know the ingredients in Coke by the label, you just don't know how much is in it

But apparently the ingredients are cited as natural ingredients which is code for secret.

I mean I think people have worked out the ingredients anyway, but how can only 3 people know exact ingredients and how much. I'm just trying to figure out the actual logistics of making all that syrup without people finding out.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cdoyle)
      Oh right 3 people know how to make it. I was told 7 do by my lecturer.

Most of the sources I've read said 3, either way only a small amount of people know apparently.

(Original post by Last Day Lepers)
        .......... so how do the logistics of making the syrup work then?
        (Original post by 8472)
        Since i'm one of the others. PM me and prove it.

Spoiler:
        Show
        *evil grin*
        Can't tell either of you, that'd make it 5, not gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
        Can't tell either of you, that'd make it 5, not gonna happen.

ReputationRep:
        As I understand it ( from an acquaintance who used to work for Coca cola)

the vast majority of bottlers and distributors only ever deal with the finished syrup , water and CO2

most of the people producing the syrup only deal with the bulk raw materials ( sugar, caramel , ?phosphoric acid , water)

the 'secret' bit of the syrup is pre-prepared and combined with the bulk ingredients on the basis of one litre of 'secret formula' per so many 10s / 100s of litres/ kg of the other syrup ingredients ...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by zippyRN)
        As I understand it ( from an acquaintance who used to work for Coca cola)

the vast majority of bottlers and distributors only ever deal with the finished syrup , water and CO2

most of the people producing the syrup only deal with the bulk raw materials ( sugar, caramel , ?phosphoric acid , water)

the 'secret' bit of the syrup is pre-prepared and combined with the bulk ingredients on the basis of one litre of 'secret formula' per so many 10s / 100s of litres/ kg of the other syrup ingredients ...

So who makes the 'secret' bit'?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
        So who makes the 'secret' bit'?
        this is where the limited numbers bit comes in

also i'm unsure of Coca Cola do this but sometimes ' secret ' mixtures are also made up of a less secret part and a more secret part ... with more people able to formulate the less secret part from raw ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.