Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm a postgrad student at a different uni, but as part of my course I need to do a placement. My placement is based in Northampton, and it's not possible to commute from where I live at the moment, so I'm going to have to move.

I've never been to Northampton before. What is the city like? Things like cinemas, restaurants, bars and gym/swimming pool. Any areas to definitely avoid?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've lived in Northampton since I was born (23years) so could help you out, I'm studying in Northampton too, starting this September. Northampton has two cinemas, one in the town center and one a bit further away in a place called Sixfields, which offers loads of food places to go. Bowling etc with a bus journey there to take you! Restaurants are everywhere, wellingborough road in particular where most of the pubs are as well, good night life!!! More places to eat in town center too!! Night life will be wellingborough road and bridge street! Clubs there!! And swimming pools can be at Danes camp (google it) Mounts (google) and Virgin active which requires a membership but the other two don't! No places to avoid really x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LANGIER91)
    Hey, I've lived in Northampton since I was born (23years) so could help you out, I'm studying in Northampton too, starting this September. Northampton has two cinemas, one in the town center and one a bit further away in a place called Sixfields, which offers loads of food places to go. Bowling etc with a bus journey there to take you! Restaurants are everywhere, wellingborough road in particular where most of the pubs are as well, good night life!!! More places to eat in town center too!! Night life will be wellingborough road and bridge street! Clubs there!! And swimming pools can be at Danes camp (google it) Mounts (google) and Virgin active which requires a membership but the other two don't! No places to avoid really x
    Thanks I'll definitely check those out when I move next week

ReputationRep:
    Did you move to Northampton for your placement OP? What's it like there as a 'Uni town'?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelTSR)
    Did you move to Northampton for your placement OP? What's it like there as a 'Uni town'?
    I'm afraid I don't know about the uni part cos I'm not a part of Northampton uni (I attend Nottingham uni, but spend most of my time in Northampton for placement). Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    I'm afraid I don't know about the uni part cos I'm not a part of Northampton uni (I attend Nottingham uni, but spend most of my time in Northampton for placement). Sorry!
    That's ok! You work in Northampton though yeh? Is it a nice place - Much to do etc? Anywhere for a decent hot choc? Hah! ]
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That's ok! You work in Northampton though yeh? Is it a nice place - Much to do etc? Anywhere for a decent hot choc? Hah! ]
    Yeah I do. I'm afraid I haven't found a nice hot chocolate, but I haven't had one here yet! I've seen quite a few cafes tho, so one of them is bound to do a nice one Seems to be a reasonable amount to do, like shops and cinema

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Yeah I do. I'm afraid I haven't found a nice hot chocolate, but I haven't had one here yet! I've seen quite a few cafes tho, so one of them is bound to do a nice one Seems to be a reasonable amount to do, like shops and cinema
    Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    It makes you think of Heidelberg or Cambridge as you see the philosophical discussions going on in the moon on the square the children smoke their **** and the tramps bid you good day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott)
    the children smoke their **** and the tramps bid you good day
    Quite a picture you paint there! Are there many/any hidden treasures in the town worth knowing about?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a picture you paint there! Are there many/any hidden treasures in the town worth knowing about?
    My experience of Northampton is that it's a dump, but that is partly beacuse of the people. An interesting fact about there is that it has a car park voted the ugliest building in Britain or something. On the plus side, it has an H&M and it looks better than letchworth town centre wher I live, which has been dug up and redone, with stupid fountains and the like

ReputationRep:
    Are there any good rock bars or live band venues?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.