The Student Room Group

Who is the greatest sportsman ever?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Wikipedia may say it is a sport, but I disagree. I may even go and change the Wikipedia page so then I have proof :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I give in for now, until I can find another credible source. As you have proved Wikipedia can be edited and this is why it is unreliable.
Seems like there is a bit of confusion, as to whether darts is indeed a sport or not.

There are no recent articles saying whether it is, or isn't, a sport.

This article says it is: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/darts-is-a-major-sport-not-a-pub-game-any-more-767562.html

However, this says it isn't: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/1115491.stm

Hence, you'll just have to make your own opinion on the matter.
Original post by spotify95
Seems like there is a bit of confusion, as to whether darts is indeed a sport or not.

There are no recent articles saying whether it is, or isn't, a sport.

This article says it is: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/darts-is-a-major-sport-not-a-pub-game-any-more-767562.html

However, this says it isn't: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/1115491.stm

Hence, you'll just have to make your own opinion on the matter.

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Does darts have physical exertion? Depends whether you count moving your arm as exertion. Do you count moving your arm to write as a sport?
Original post by manchesterunited15
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Does darts have physical exertion? Depends whether you count moving your arm as exertion. Do you count moving your arm to write as a sport?

Same goes for Snooker too, and Chess? They're more testing on the mind rather than the body. All about focus etc. Which isn't physical exertion so..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ZSHNZ
Same goes for Snooker too, and Chess? They're more testing on the mind rather than the body. All about focus etc. Which isn't physical exertion so..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with everything here. If darts isn't a sport, that means snooker isn't a sport either. Nor is Chess. (Having said that I never classed chess as a sport anyway)
Boxing and wrestling are **** sports

I think you mean greatest sports. Other sports like football are for poofters. Boxing is for men and the strongest. And clearly you are a poofter and have never wrestled if you think it sucks.
(edited 9 years ago)

Not with me there isn't. Ballroom dancing is more of a 'sport' than the competitive pastime of darts.
I agree with everything here. If darts isn't a sport, that means snooker isn't a sport either. Nor is Chess. (Having said that I never classed chess as a sport anyway)

Agreed.

Not that I expected Bobby Fischer to be on the list!
Original post by barnetlad
Muhammed Ali because his influence went beyond his sport.

This is where I would go. Comparing great sportsmen and women from different sports is well nigh impossible; how do I judge between (for example) Bradman, Redgrave and Bo Jackson? I can't.

What I can do is see who transcends their sport to become something greater. And in that respect, I vote for Ali.
Bolt dominates just as much

Swimming just has way too many races

Swimming is more multi-dimensional than sprint athletics though. Take it from a swimmer, a 50/100m freestyler is in a completely different world physique/conditioning/training wise to a 200m butterfly-er. There's a reason the swimming world considers him the greatest olympian of all time (comfortably too). The 400m IM is considered the most gruelling event in swimming and he managed that and 7 other races and got gold in them all. If Bolt did say the long jump/ triple jump as well as the 100m, 200m, 400m and all relays then possibly he's as dominant. But devaluing Phelps' achievement based on the number of events is frankly absurd, considering they are actually totally different events in terms of muscle usage.

Also it has the same amount it has always had (in fact less than a few decades ago in the olympics because of the women losing the 1500m free and men the 800m free).
Original post by Pete_91
Swimming is more multi-dimensional than sprint athletics though. Take it from a swimmer, a 50/100m freestyler is in a completely different world physique/conditioning/training wise to a 200m butterfly-er. There's a reason the swimming world considers him the greatest olympian of all time (comfortably too). The 400m IM is considered the most gruelling event in swimming and he managed that and 7 other races and got gold in them all. If Bolt did say the long jump/ triple jump as well as the 100m, 200m, 400m and all relays then possibly he's as dominant. But devaluing Phelps' achievement based on the number of events is frankly absurd, considering they are actually totally different events in terms of muscle usage.

Also it has the same amount it has always had (in fact less than a few decades ago in the olympics because of the women losing the 1500m free and men the 800m free).

Tons of people capably swim all four strokes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Tons of people capably swim all four strokes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to olympic level they don't. Phelps and Lochte are probably the only two who have been capable of maintaining that level of performance at olympic level in 4+ events. If it was easy they would all be able to do it, and they don't.
Reply 212
100% federer for me. Was at wimbledon to watch the final the other day and the way he moves around the court and his array of shots is just unbelievable. Don't quite agree with all of the options tho- jordan ahead of lebron, messi and ronaldo shouldn't be in the picture yet and sachin should be there too.
In addition to Ali, other elite athletes who transcended their own achievements include:
Jesse Owens and Jackie Robinson (race)
Billie Jean King (gender)
Tanni Grey-Thompson (disability)
Original post by Pete_91
Not to olympic level they don't. Phelps and Lochte are probably the only two who have been capable of maintaining that level of performance at olympic level in 4+ events. If it was easy they would all be able to do it, and they don't.

Laszlo cseh did it too. There are tons of swimmers in the US alone currently who have the London oqt in all 4 strokes. Admittedly these times are not fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by just a dad
Not with me there isn't. Ballroom dancing is more of a 'sport' than the competitive pastime of darts.

I certainly wouldn't class dancing as a "sport"! :biggrin: :rolleyes:
Agreed.

Not that I expected Bobby Fischer to be on the list!

Who is Bobby Fischer, anyway? and what sport (or non-sport) is he involved in?
I certainly wouldn't class dancing as a "sport"! :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Neither would I ... Which is really my point (re darts).
Who is Bobby Fischer, anyway? and what sport (or non-sport) is he involved in?

Former chess champion. Now deceased following a long battle with mental illness.
Former chess champion. Now deceased following a long battle with mental illness.

Okay, thank you for the information.

Based on that information, I didn`t expect him to be on the list either, as (based on what we have said before) chess is not a sport.

Quick Reply

Latest