Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good answers for these interview questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview coming up soon, and I am sure I will be asked the following questions, based on my experience attending previous interviews...

1) What is your weakness?
    I am not good at public speaking... Is this a good answer?

2) Why did you choose X course at university?

Now, what are good questions to ask them - ones that may get me the job.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I have an interview coming up soon, and I am sure I will be asked the following questions, based on my experience attending previous interviews...

1) What is your weakness?
    I am not good at public speaking... Is this a good answer?

2) Why did you choose X course at university?

Now, what are good questions to ask them - ones that may get me the job.

Thanks
    1) It might be good to try to come up with a "weakness" that is more of a strength/could be viewed as a strength, and don't pick a quality that is essential to the job! i.e. you want to frame your chosen "weakness" to give it a positive spin and use the question to persuade them more that you are the ideal candidate for the job.

It doesn't matter so much what you pick as your "weakness", but rather how you talk about it to make yourself sound better. Definitely don't pick an actual serious flaw that you have!

You want to show the interviewer that you have skills in self-reflecting. I would suggest also going onto explain how you are planning on improving your "weakness", or you could talk about something you struggled with in the past and how you went on to deal with it. Maybe explain where the difficulties lie in the skill.

But I'd recommend picking one of your strengths and coming up of a way of phrasing it as a weakness. e.g. you could be really great at examining finer details meticulously that you occasionally lose sight of the bigger picture (and then go on to give examples etc.) or if teamwork was an essential part of the job, you could explain what you find hard about working alone and why you prefer working with others.

You could pick a "weakness" that is not a key component of the job, or you could talk about how you deal with situations where you have to use a skill that is not a natural ability to you. If public speaking/dealing with large groups of people is not a key skill in the job e.g. if the job is mainly one-to-one interaction then you could develop that skill as an answer, but it depends on the job if this is a good answer. You'll be judged more on how you develop your answer than just what random skill you pick out at the start of your answer!!

2) Well this will depend on the course you chose, and you, and the job. Maybe look back at your personal statement and see what you wrote on that as your reason for picking the course at the time. Maybe explain ways in which your course prepared you/helped you develop skills for the career you would like to follow. It'd be good opportunity here to demonstrate your passion for your chosen subject.

Maybe talk about how the course turned out to be and why you enjoyed it.

3) This is an opportunity to ask anything further that you want to find out about working for the company as opposed for you to persuade them any further to hire you. Be careful not to ask something which you could easily find out the answer to/should know if you'd read e.g. their website thoroughly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.