Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any tips that you can give for any student starting AS to be succesful?

I'm going to do

-->Maths
    -->Biology
    -->chemistry
    -->Economics

need help and advice on how I can excel on these subjects and hit the top grades.

Any strategies you used?

How much did you study on average for your AS levels ? When did you start?

Feel free to post help on other subjects too an thank you very much for reading and helping .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bump .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Is there any tips that you can give for any student starting AS to be succesful?

I'm going to do

-->Maths
    -->Biology
    -->chemistry
    -->Economics

need help and advice on how I can excel on these subjects and hit the top grades.

Any strategies you used?

Feel free to post help on other subjects too an thank you very much for reading and helping .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what exam board do you have for your AS levels?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I can give you some advice for biology the key to success in biology is being able to memorise and understand processes as well as being able to apply your knowledge in exams. It is one subject where doing past papers for revision is important if you want to hit the top marks. It will allow you to practise the application questions which can be a bit tricky. Biology also has a lot of data interpretation questions, usually in the form of graphs, so practising your technique for those type of questions is also key.

If you're a dedicated student, going over your notes after the lesson or even just at the end of the week could be very helpful. I literally revised the day before for my AS exams and came out with a B despite being capable of an A, so although cramming can work to an extent, it's probably best to give yourself plenty of time to cover the content thoroughly during revision and then doing papers to highlight any strengths and weaknesses.

If you're with edexcel I could give you more specific advice but obviously you may not be

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)

I'm going to do

-->Maths
    -->Biology
    -->chemistry
    -->Economics

Any strategies you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just finished my A-levels and I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. For maths, it is practice, practice, practice (providing you understand the basics), do LOTS of questions. For biology there is A LOT of content, start revising as early as possible for that. As you cover stuff in school, review it when you get home and READ AHEAD! Reading ahead is SO useful! Also do lots of questions. Chemistry can be very difficult to understand, review the topics in more that one book, make notes, do questions. Go to the A level Chemistry website (just google A level Chemistry, it should be like the first one). I cannot stress enough how much that website helped me, it has notes on all the topics, questions on each topic, exam questions and a test for each topic!

With regards to past papers, do a few as you go along, just to outline areas you need more work on. Save quite a few to do during study leave. There are loads of papers for maths. However there aren't that many for biology and chemistry so use them wisely.

When to start revising? Start revising as soon as possible, I started revising over the summer, not much because obviously you need a break from work but enough to get slightly ahead when I got back to school. When I started my A levels, I started off with 2 hours every day just going over what I did in school and making notes on those topics. On the weekend I would spend a few hours to make more notes, do some questions to test whether the work I did during the week actually paid off and making notes to get ahead. When you get to about February time, it is time to get serious, I around 4 hours every day. When it gets to study leave, you should have finished all of your revision and just be doing past papers.

I can tell you now that it is very likely that your school won't finish biology by the end of the year so be careful.

I hope that helps, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try not muck around too much in your frees

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replied guys .

My exam boar for science is Aqa and I think its edexcel for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Replies*
    Board*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics - read the business news on the BBC website daily. tutor2u is the most helpful single resource.

ReputationRep:
    Maths - examsolutions website will make the next two years of your life a whole lot easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)

I'm going to do

-->Maths
    -->Biology
    -->chemistry
    -->Economics

Any strategies you used?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Generally, stay on top of work throughout the year, read through the relevant parts of the textbook after lessons to consolidate what you've learnt, do homework on the day you're set it as much as possible. That will put you in the best position when you get round to revising.

I didn't do economics, but speaking for the other three, when it comes to revision, do lots of past papers! At my school for sciences we'd start around February/March doing past papers as that leaves enough time to work through all the old spec papers (2002-2009) whilst still having all the new papers left to do closer to the exam. In maths/biology/chemistry they repeat similar sorts of question types and in biology/chemistry a lot of the battle is simply knowing the sort of things mark schemes are looking for. For maths, there are loads of past papers you can do - keep practising until you're getting very high marks consistently. Do exam papers is a skill you can practice and become very good at!

In biology, there's a lot of content, so rereading your notes/textbook as you go along whenever you can find the time is very helpful. Revising thoroughly for end of topic tests throughout the year will make revision before exams much easier, too.

At AS I used to aim to finish the week's homework by the end of Friday evening (this wasn't always feasible, and at A2 for me personally this was never manageable as I was doing a lot of subjects, but at AS for most of the year unless I had an extremely busy week with extracurricular stuff this was what I did), then I'd have music all day Saturday and then on Sunday a few hours could be spent doing more consolidatory work/revision/reading the textbook, reading ahead, doing extension/olympiad questions.

At AS I studied for the amount of time it took me to do all my homework thoroughly, and then a few extra hours a week spent doing stuff a bit beyond the spec (but that's more because I was aiming for Cambridge). When we started revising for the exams was pretty much dictated by school, as in when we'd finished the course for a subject, and even before then, we'd be set past papers to do for homework, and we'd be set old past paper questions and textbook reading as homeworks throughout the year. If you're school doesn't do this for you then I'd advise planning this yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't find an empty classroom to sit in and watch fail videos on the interactive whiteboards with your mates during free periods, like I did

Maths - examsolutions
    Chemistry - Youtube "Tywin Lannister" or "E Rintoul"

Re write your notes over Christmas, do some (but not all) past papers to prepare for your mocks. I suggest doing the older ones as to leave the newer ones for just before exam time.

Start revising around March time and use Easter to get through as many past papers as possible, go through the ones you did over Christmas too to make sure you retained enough knowledge of your Unit 1 papers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, these posts are really helpful, just noted down all the websites you have all listed. Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Thank you for your replied guys .

My exam boar for science is Aqa and I think its edexcel for maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Useful notes for AQA a level biology (AS and A2)

http://www.heckgrammar.co.uk/index.php?p=10312

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.