Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have always been interested in places which look like paradise. i wanted to know your experiences and if you felt it was worth the extra price tag than beach holidays in europe. when i look at the crystal beaches it just looks like heaven, like nothing you ever see in uk or even europe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I've been to the Caribbean before. It's worth the extra money for the experience of going someone exotic and unknown and yes, the beaches can be good, but it really depends on where you go. A few years ago we went to St Lucia and the beaches where we were weren't that nice. It took an hour long car journey up the island to get to any decent beaches. If you look for the right places in Europe you can find beaches just as good:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/home...b_3324127.html

The main "disadvantage" I would say to Caribbean holidays (other than the price) is that all you really end up doing is staying at the beach. You might be a bit confused as to why I've said this is a disadvantage, but you don't really end up experiencing the culture of the country. You pretty much stay at the resort and don't really leave until you're due to fly home. In Europe, on the other hand, a lot of these countries have rich history and beautiful sights to see, so you're not only lying on the beach all day.

Also, weather is something you need to think about. In Europe you've got autumn, winter, spring and summer. Most people would choose to go on their beach holidays in the summer. In particular, late July and August. In the Caribbean, late July and August tend to be the hottest but you get A LOT of rain. As an example, the Bahamas is around 28C in August, but you get an average of 19days of rain in August. That's nearly the whole month. Therefore, you need to plan to go around Easter or off season (November) where you get an average of 26-27C but only 8 days of rain.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in the Dominican republic for 2 years. They have some near paradise beaches.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Yes. I've been to the Caribbean before. It's worth the extra money for the experience of going someone exotic and unknown and yes, the beaches can be good, but it really depends on where you go. A few years ago we went to St Lucia and the beaches where we were weren't that nice. It took an hour long car journey up the island to get to any decent beaches. If you look for the right places in Europe you can find beaches just as good:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/home...b_3324127.html

The main "disadvantage" I would say to Caribbean holidays (other than the price) is that all you really end up doing is staying at the beach. You might be a bit confused as to why I've said this is a disadvantage, but you don't really end up experiencing the culture of the country. You pretty much stay at the resort and don't really leave until you're due to fly home. In Europe, on the other hand, a lot of these countries have rich history and beautiful sights to see, so you're not only lying on the beach all day.

Also, weather is something you need to think about. In Europe you've got autumn, winter, spring and summer. Most people would choose to go on their beach holidays in the summer. In particular, late July and August. In the Caribbean, late July and August tend to be the hottest but you get A LOT of rain. As an example, the Bahamas is around 28C in August, but you get an average of 19days of rain in August. That's nearly the whole month. Therefore, you need to plan to go around Easter or off season (November) where you get an average of 26-27C but only 8 days of rain.
    thanks for reply. i wouldnt be looking to go in the summer, i thought itd be cool to go in the winter to get away from the british weather, is it summer in those islands? it does sound a bit boring travelling so far and going nowhere but a beach and hotel, dont these countries offer anything to do??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip123321)
    thanks for reply. i wouldnt be looking to go in the summer, i thought itd be cool to go in the winter to get away from the british weather, is it summer in those islands? it does sound a bit boring travelling so far and going nowhere but a beach and hotel, dont these countries offer anything to do??

The Caribbean doesn't really have defined seasons as we do, and it would still be 'winter' but you'd get high-ish temperatures with little rain (still in the mid-high 20s). Bear in mind though that the winter is when prices tend to be highest, as it's when everyone decides to escape cold weather back home!!

Usually there's a lot you can do, but you would need to make sure you don't fall into the trap of finding a really nice resort and just staying there for the whole trip, as this is what often tends to happen :P

Places like Jamaica have a lot of things you can do, but the only downside is that there are so many tourists that you don't really end up experiencing much of the country's real culture

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.