Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I start a graduate scheme in the next few months and will be studying towards CIMA qualification. I was going to do a write up on my applications / experiences / general advice, but thought this might be a bit more effective at directly addressing questions.

I've found some of the posts on here quite useful, however, I do believe that some people over emphasis the importance of some things which haven't been an issue for me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure we can ask you anything about a CIMA graduate scheme months before you start, but hello anyway!

What are the things you think people over emphasis out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    As above, and what advice did you find useful and more relevant to you in securing the contract?

What is the structure of the scheme in terms of work/placements?

What made you choose to go down the CIMA route, over chartered?

Congrats, btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Not entirely sure we can ask you anything about a CIMA graduate scheme months before you start, but hello anyway!

What are the things you think people over emphasis out of interest?
    I thought it might be useful to focus on the recruitment stage of the process (final year, applications, assessment centres, interviews).

The main thing that people seem to over emphasise is the University they go to and the course they are studying. I would say that almost every CIMA graduate role asks for at the most 300 UCAS points and a 2:1 in any discipline. Your academics for the most part are therefore just a tick-box exercise illustrating a reasonable level of competence (plenty ask for 280 UCAS as well). I go to an average University and saw plenty of top University students along the way - the reality is it doesn't count for that much.

(Original post by Pipsico)
    As above, and what advice did you find useful and more relevant to you in securing the contract?

What is the structure of the scheme in terms of work/placements?

What made you choose to go down the CIMA route, over chartered?

Congrats, btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is so much I have learned this year that has helped me along the way - I ended up with two job offers.

Pre-interview I would keep applications reasonably straight forward with a one page CV and a simple cover letter. I know plenty of highly competent students who had to apply to 30+ companies before receiving an offer and so I didn't commit too much time to this stage. I doubt a lot of recruiters even read your cover letter so keep it simple and error free - maybe suggest you want to study CIMA and give a reason - maybe try to convey an interest in the industry (Manufacturing, FMCG etc...).

During the interview I think you've just got to be confident and sell yourself as a person. There may well be 5-10 of you that are all the same on paper and a lot of the time it may well just come down to connecting well with the people involved. Get 20 common, generic interview questions off the internet and make sure you prepare good answers that don't sound too constructed. Two areas I focused a lot on was research on the company and my career aspirations and knowledge of the CIMA process.

Any more specific stuff just drop me a PM and I will try get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umop_)
    I thought it might be useful to focus on the recruitment stage of the process (final year, applications, assessment centres, interviews).

The main thing that people seem to over emphasise is the University they go to and the course they are studying. I would say that almost every CIMA graduate role asks for at the most 300 UCAS points and a 2:1 in any discipline. Your academics for the most part are therefore just a tick-box exercise illustrating a reasonable level of competence (plenty ask for 280 UCAS as well). I go to an average University and saw plenty of top University students along the way - the reality is it doesn't count for that much.
    Definitely agree - academics are just a set bar to be met for accountancy in general. Same goes for both industry and practice.

That said, in other areas (consulting, IB, law) it is very important to go to the right place and maximise results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umop_)

There is so much I have learned this year that has helped me along the way - I ended up with two job offers.

Pre-interview I would keep applications reasonably straight forward with a one page CV and a simple cover letter. I know plenty of highly competent students who had to apply to 30+ companies before receiving an offer and so I didn't commit too much time to this stage. I doubt a lot of recruiters even read your cover letter so keep it simple and error free - maybe suggest you want to study CIMA and give a reason - maybe try to convey an interest in the industry (Manufacturing, FMCG etc...).

During the interview I think you've just got to be confident and sell yourself as a person. There may well be 5-10 of you that are all the same on paper and a lot of the time it may well just come down to connecting well with the people involved. Get 20 common, generic interview questions off the internet and make sure you prepare good answers that don't sound too constructed. Two areas I focused a lot on was research on the company and my career aspirations and knowledge of the CIMA process.

Any more specific stuff just drop me a PM and I will try get back to you.
    Yep - and a lot of this is quite good and generic to non-finance applications too.

Out of interest, what uni/subject did you study?

What kind of study package you'll be getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umop_)
    I start a graduate scheme in the next few months and will be studying towards CIMA qualification. I was going to do a write up on my applications / experiences / general advice, but thought this might be a bit more effective at directly addressing questions.

I've found some of the posts on here quite useful, however, I do believe that some people over emphasis the importance of some things which haven't been an issue for me at all.
    1. How many applications did you make?
    2. How many rejections did you receive?
    3. How many offers were made?
    4. Did you apply to different industries or many firms within one industry?

Thanks and congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    Yep - and a lot of this is quite good and generic to non-finance applications too.

Out of interest, what uni/subject did you study?

What kind of study package you'll be getting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't comment on non-finance applications - I just know that I have seen a lot of hype directed towards the University people go to. I studied a finance type degree at ~30th ranked University. During the recruitment process I often encountered people from top 10 Universities and ones that are probably ranked quite low.

From my experience companies seemed to be more interested in work experience and in how well you conducted yourself in groups and in interview.

The package includes full tuition fees and study support.

(Original post by loloway)
    1. How many applications did you make?
    2. How many rejections did you receive?
    3. How many offers were made?
    4. Did you apply to different industries or many firms within one industry?

Thanks and congratulations!
    1. I applied to about 15 companies - all CIMA (I know solid graduates who needed 50 - there is an element of luck involved)
    2. I was rejected pre-interview about 12 times
    3. I received two offers
    4. The industries varied for me - I was primarily looking for a solid company with a good CIMA scheme. I was interested in all the companies and felt that I could relate to their product / services.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.