The Student Room Group

Smoking and mental health

Have you noticed that smoking worsens your mental health?

I feel awful today, and I've been smoking. But I've also been stuck at home all day.

Yesterday I was on nicotine patches (trying to kick the habit), and felt ok-ish, but I did go out for a day-trip to the beach.

Have you noticed that smoking worsens your mental health?
Gonna move :smile:
I thought it was the opposite, that smoking relieves symptoms in mental illnesses? That would be the reason that so many people with mental illnesses smoke. I used to smoke and found it made me feel a lot better. Since quitting I've spent a not-insignificant amount of time trying to persuade myself that taking it up again is a bad idea. :colondollar:
Original post by Sabertooth
I thought it was the opposite, that smoking relieves symptoms in mental illnesses? That would be the reason that so many people with mental illnesses smoke. I used to smoke and found it made me feel a lot better. Since quitting I've spent a not-insignificant amount of time trying to persuade myself that taking it up again is a bad idea. :colondollar:

Yep. Go to any mental health meet up or social group and 99% of people will be smokers (at least when it comes to groups with psychosis). Some research has been done on it and it seems that smoking has a positive effect on the symptoms of schizophrenia in particular (and maybe other mental illnesses as well).
Reply 4
I think there is a strong correlation between smoking and mental health problems but I think it might be something like people with various common mental health problems are much more prone to nicotine addiction.

I don't know if nicotine helps me much but I am fairly convinced it doesn't make me worse whereas the sudden withdrawal of it probably does make me worse
I think the most harm comes from the other stuff in the smoke, the tar, poisons etc.

I've been to quite a few different services and yeah, often a lot of smokers. I think those of us that struggle often look to external means to help us cope, all manner of drugs, legal or not. I do believe we are generally more sensitive to substances too, and get addicted to things easier because we can't think straight.

I used to smoke tobacco, and although i was addicted, i was quite sensitive to nicotine. Faster heart rate, sudden focus, head rush, shakes. Enjoyable but also scary, since a lot of those are basically my panic attack symptoms.

I currently vape with an ecig and have a lot more control over the amount of nicotine i have, along with it being less harmful to lungs. I kinda use it now to help stabilize my mood and distract me.

Nicotine has helpful medical uses, but its hard to control i think due to its addictiveness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm someone who can't really get addicted to smoking, and does alleviate my depression or my stress. Main downside is I am asthmatic so sometimes I can really feel it affecting me :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest