Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC By-election (July 2014) Watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    MHoC By-election (July 2014)

A single seat is now up for by-election as a result of the latest review into MP activity. If you fancy becoming an MP then send me a manifesto by next Saturday at 5pm.

Each manifesto must be 250 words or less. You may also include up to two images and a tagline of no more than 20 words.

Schedule
    Day 0 (06/07/2014) – The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos
    Day 6 (12/07/2014) – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.
    Day 6 (12/07/2014) – The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 7 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot” and send a message out to MPs informing them of the vote.
    Day 13 (19/07/2014) – The election closes and seats are assigned.
    Guidance Document
    By-elections1) The Speaker is responsible for everything surrounding TSR by-elections.
    2) Manifestos are to be submitted to the Speaker by the deadline, any received after this time will be accepted at the Speaker’s discretion.
    3) The restrictions on manifesto length and content shall be the same as in normal TSR General Elections.
    4) Should there be fewer than 5 seats to be assigned, the resulting by-election may only be contested by independents or individuals running under a party banner.
    5) Should there be 5 or more seats to be assigned, the criteria for normal TSR General Elections applies.
    6) MPs are not eligible to stand.
    7) An individual running under a party banner may win a maximum of 1 seat.
    8) Should the condition in 4) be true:
    8a) Each party may only have 1 candidate running running under their banner
    8b) If an equal number or fewer candidates stand than seats to be assigned, the by-election shall be cancelled.
    8c) The poll shall be a multiple choice vote, unless there is only 1 seat to be assigned.
    9) Individuals who run under party banners will be identified as such and any seat won by them is held by the party.
    10) Any person wishing to stand as an independent must resign from their former party.
    11) All TSR members with more than 100 posts and 3 months experience may vote.
    12) Should the condition in 4) be true, the candidates with the highest number of votes will be assigned a seat until they are all filled. Otherwise, the d'Hondt method shall be used to calculate seats. If an extra seat is required, it is permitted.
    13) The results shall not affect who is in Government or Opposition.
    14) The duration of an election shall be 14 days.
    Day 0 – Election is announced by The Speaker.
    Day 0 - The Speaker will inform interested candidates/parties to submit their manifestos
    Day 7 – All manifestos should have been received by The Speaker.
    Day 7 - The Speaker will post the manifestos in a thread in the Model House of Commons forum, add a secret 7 day poll with the option of “Spoilt Ballot” and send a message out to MPs informing them of the vote.
    Day 14 – The election closes and seats are assigned.

Remember that only independents may contest this election, although they may choose to stand on behalf of either a single party, or several, with the consent of each party involved.

Good luck to everyone who stands!

Two hours and no one seems to care, wonder who will throw their hat into the ring... Any odds going?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Two hours and no one seems to care, wonder who will throw their hat into the ring... Any odds going?
      Can't you hear the sound of seven parties scuttling simultaneously in their private subfora to endorse a candidate?

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
        Can't you hear the sound of seven parties scuttling simultaneously in their private subfora to endorse a candidate?
        Oh is that what that sound was? Thought I had a rat infestation :lol:

ReputationRep:
        I suppose will the Left decide to unify or not? They can hardly fill the seats they already have left alone win another!
        • Community Assistant
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tehFrance)
        It kind of highlights the problem with by-elections - apathy.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Will95206)
        I suppose will the Left decide to unify or not? They can hardly fill the seats they already have left alone win another!
        The fact that the Tories have loaned you in suggests the Conservatives also have that problem.
        • Community Assistant
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
        The fact that the Tories have loaned you in suggests the Conservatives also have that problem.
        Hence why we should reduce the size of the House.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by toronto353)
        Perhaps, though I don't think that will help. It would surely just penalise the smaller parties but mean that the larger parties can fill their seats easier.

ReputationRep:
        No, I assure you that we do not. Right now, we would be able to appoint at least three very competent and active members!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Life_peer)
        No, I assure you that we do not. Right now, we would be able to appoint at least three very competent and active members!
        So what is the purpose of having a Liberal loaned in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        I don't see how that'd help.
        • Community Assistant
        • Wiki Support Team
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by RayApparently)
        I don't see how that'd help.
        We have had a problem with activity in at least 10% of seats for a while now - surely this suggests that the House cannot produce 50 MPs?

Perhaps, though I don't think that will help. It would surely just penalise the smaller parties but mean that the larger parties can fill their seats easier.
        I haven't forgot your post, but when I've got time, I intend to do some calculations to see what the impact would be.

It kind of highlights the problem with by-elections - apathy.
          :lol:
          That they can't fill seats? Why would they loan someone out if they have seats?

Edit: I understand it now, I see where you're coming from and also question it :lol:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
          I believe it was more of an act of goodwill based on good relations in order to let Will stay as an MP, but I am not completely sure. Anyway, we have got Bun on loan to UKIP and a similar loan is being arranged.

Edit: The Financier is now on loan to UKIP as well.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
          We have several members loaned out, however it was a goodwill gesture, if needed to we have at least 3 very competent active replacements.

ReputationRep:
          My non existent forum for my non existent party is having a sleep. My hat is staying on my head.
          • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
          We have had a problem with activity in at least 10% of seats for a while now - surely this suggests that the House cannot produce 50 MPs?
          That sounds like accepting defeat. It won't increase activity. Heck, it'll encourage less activity because we'll have less MP spots for those that want them (assuming activity picks up over time). Quite frankly I'd rather have empty seats than less seats.

I'm assuming your point is that the scarcity of seats will encourage only the most active members to become MPs but the current self-regulation seems sufficient.
          • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by RayApparently)
          That sounds like accepting defeat. It won't increase activity. Heck, it'll encourage less activity because we'll have less MP spots for those that want them (assuming activity picks up over time). Quite frankly I'd rather have empty seats than less seats.

I'm assuming your point is that the scarcity of seats will encourage only the most active members to become MPs but the current self-regulation seems sufficient.
          The problem I have with cutting seats is that the best member is not always the one who would get the seat. It may instead lead to a situation where simply the one who is most articulate wins an MP election over the one who writes bills or votes 100% of the time.

Plus from a fundamental self-interest point of view, why should the Tories and Liberals with surplus members suffer just because others are struggling.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Cryptographic)
          We have several members loaned out, however it was a goodwill gesture, if needed to we have at least 3 very competent active replacements.
          Good will? Why would you value a Liberal above three of your own party members?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What time of year is the worst for students?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.