The Student Room Group

I'm worried I won't get the grades for university

I halfheartedly took my A-levels two years ago, and came out with two mediocre A2s, and an AS in Philosophy and Ethics. I didn't realise how much of a passion I would develop for Philosophy, so I decided to complete it. I haven't got the financial ability to pay to study at college, so I bought all the books and taught myself the A2, in the two months I managed to get off from work. I felt the exams went really well, but now two weeks later, I'm stressing that all the effort I put in would have gone to waste. I want to eventually teach Philosophy; I have the drive and passion for it, but I don't want my past failures to overshadow my potential. Should I contact my university, or will it seem like I'm too desperate?
Original post by MarufulAkash
I halfheartedly took my A-levels two years ago, and came out with two mediocre A2s, and an AS in Philosophy and Ethics. I didn't realise how much of a passion I would develop for Philosophy, so I decided to complete it. I haven't got the financial ability to pay to study at college, so I bought all the books and taught myself the A2, in the two months I managed to get off from work. I felt the exams went really well, but now two weeks later, I'm stressing that all the effort I put in would have gone to waste. I want to eventually teach Philosophy; I have the drive and passion for it, but I don't want my past failures to overshadow my potential. Should I contact my university, or will it seem like I'm too desperate?

There is little point in contacting your firm choice- they will get your results a week before results day and then have nearly a week to decide if they still can/want to take you on if you missed your offers. If they reject you then you can always look and see what is on offer in clearing or reapply next year.
I hope that all goes well for you and that you get to go where you want to. If that fails for any reason, the University of Wales Trinity St David, Lampeter campus chooses its students on individual merit. Of course they need an academic base and some skills, but a student with low grades can still come to Lampeter. Philosophy is a very popular course here, but there are still places left, so if for some reason you do not get your firm choice, you would stand a very good chance of getting a place in Clearing at our university. If you want to know anything about UWTSD, get in touch with me. I am a BA Theology student about to go into my third year and I am in the Philosophy Society here.

www.uwtsd.ac.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending