The Student Room Group

If polygamy became legal and accepted tomorrow, would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
One for cooking, one for cleaning, one to look after the kids and one for miscellaneous duties
Reply 21
Original post by iamu
One for cooking, one for cleaning, one to look after the kids and one for miscellaneous duties

That's what am saying it would make life a lot easier.:tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by iamu

It seems that you badly need a maid! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Asmeeta
It seems that you badly need a maid! :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

same thing, no?
Definitely not. I wouldn't want to share or be shared by my significant other(s).
Reply 25
Original post by iamu
same thing, no?

No, its not!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't want to be shared. I had multiple people trying to pursue me at once, and that was annoying enough (and difficult, as I only wanted to be with one of them) and I would hate to have to share my boyfriend with anyone else.
I think it can work well for some people though :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Rlove95
Never. The thought of sharing someone or being shared is horrible.

Feel bad for women who are one of multiple wives
Reply 28
Original post by laylarose
No. I wouldn't change the way I want my relationship setup to be like purely because it became legal. I wouldn't want my significant other to be shared by any other people other than myself. Plus I have trouble getting even one person to like me, let alone four or five! :lol:

Same right! I don't know how it works so well in other countries, they must have pure game haha
Reply 29
Original post by clonedmemories
I have friends of mine in poly relationships and I've seen that they can work really well for people. On the assumption that the definition of polygamy here includes both polygyny and polyandry, I might consider it if I ever ended up in a poly relationship myself (to which, at the moment, I would say I have no inclination either way). So maybe, is my answer.

Ah its for some but not for everyone, i personally couldn't do it but hey its an age old tradition in some parts of the world
Reply 30
Original post by iheartplums
I doubt it. One relationship is difficult enough

I think that in certain countries poverty / class probably has a large part to play in polygamous relationships. I can't imagine a woman from a wealthy background committing to a relationship where she is one of 4 or even 2 wives. On the other hand, it seems more likely that a woman who is from a poorer background, with no real prospects in life, would agree to being 1 of however many number of wives if it meant that she would be provided for and financially stable.

I know it happened around the middle east after wars when there was a lack of men, think that's why its allowed in Islam so I understand the reasoning there
Reply 31
Thanks for the replies, really interesting to see the different opinions, keep 'em coming
Original post by AyCaramba
Ah its for some but not for everyone, i personally couldn't do it but hey its an age old tradition in some parts of the world

Indeed - only 18% of the world's societies (I believe) are prescriptively monogamous, even though there's also a high percentage of monogamous couples in societies which allow polygamy also.

It's lovely spending time with my friends who are in poly relationships (at one point I was in a room with 5 people, all of whom are dating each other in a variety of combinations!) and it was just adorable, so it's nice to see it working, and to talk to them about it. But they're not without difficulties, and certainly not for everyone :smile:
Personally, it wouldn't be my thing. I think I'd get way too jealous about the time and effort being spent on the other partners rather than myself.

I do think people need to understand there is a clear distinction with the kind of issue.
You get the people who try to push their partner into it just so they can get more sex etc.
And you can the people who do not try to force it, who try to live that lifestyle with others within it, who genuinely enjoy the dynamics of such a lifestyle and who aren't just wanting to bone more people.

Original post by clonedmemories

It's lovely spending time with my friends who are in poly relationships (at one point I was in a room with 5 people, all of whom are dating each other in a variety of combinations!) and it was just adorable, so it's nice to see it working, and to talk to them about it. But they're not without difficulties, and certainly not for everyone :smile:

One thing that probably helps is in general, people who live alternative lifestyles (including being in poly relationships, and in others such as d/s etc) are more open and accepting. Traits which most of society could do with more of.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending