Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi, for anyone needing a excel sheet for budgeting I have one set up ready to use Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you plan to use this before you do (please read this or you will lose your budget) click on the edit button at the top and then click "make a copy" rename it and use the copy otherwise you're going to have people overwriting this template one if you put your budget in it.

The numbers in this template are just to give you an idea of a budget, replace them with whatever finance you get and costs you incur. (Remember make a copy do not use the template).
    When you type in your numbers it should do the calculations for you.

Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5cUtRM0E#gid=0

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks! :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Hi, if you plan to use this before you do (please read this or you will lose your budget) click on the edit button at the top and then click "make a copy" rename it and use the copy otherwise you're going to have people overwriting this template one if you put your budget in it.

The numbers in this template are just to give you an idea of a budget, replace them with whatever finance you get and costs you incur. (Remember make a copy do not use the template).
    When you type in your numbers it should do the calculations for you.

Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...5cUtRM0E#gid=0

also sorry for some there are £ and some there are $ it makes no difference, I couldn't figure out how to change it.
    It's a bit of a mess tbh, the profit / loss row is totally redundant given you don't actually state the profit or loss on the month (just the closing balance). Also savings aren't a cash inflow, you should just make your opening balance in month 1 the balance on your bank account then you can actually see which way your balance is going and how far you will be into your overdraft. You could also conditionally format it to show when your overdraft is close to being exceeded.

You also don't have a row for employment income which a lot of people will have.

To change to £ you go Format > Number > Other Currencies > £

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    It's a bit of a mess tbh, the profit / loss row is totally redundant given you don't actually state the profit or loss on the month (just the closing balance). Also savings aren't a cash inflow, you should just make your opening balance in month 1 the balance on your bank account then you can actually see which way your balance is going and how far you will be into your overdraft. You could also conditionally format it to show when your overdraft is close to being exceeded.

You also don't have a row for employment income which a lot of people will have.

To change to £ you go Format > Number > Other Currencies > £
    Allo, I personally find the profit/ loss closing balance thing useful though I guess not everyone will but it can be ignored or deleted if it's not wanted.

The cash inflows can be re-named if anyone wants to change it to job incomes or they could make a new column. I also consider my savings a cash inflow which is why it's there.

Thanks for telling me how fix the dollar signs, it's been driving me bananas.

I have my budget like this because other budgeting sites with methods similar to what you stated I found too confusing and not what I wanted.

If you don't want to use it though then fair enough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.