Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently 21 and have been in the British Army since I was 16. I am due to be discharged within the next 2-6 months and I am looking at a new career options for the future.

I have been studying Computer Science through the Open University and I am almost at the end of my first year. I should have my degree completed in 3 years. After that, I am looking at doing my PGCE and becoming a secondary school IT teacher.

In theory, this sounds really easy and simple process. I just need a 1st or 2.1 classification on my degree and then move onto a PGCE. But what else do I need to do in between this? Should I get a job as a teaching assistant and do that for the next 2-3 years to gain invaluable experience, or would this not be needed even though I want to be a teacher?

Any advice you can give me is most welcome,

Regards,

Stephen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephenwenn)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently 21 and have been in the British Army since I was 16. I am due to be discharged within the next 2-6 months and I am looking at a new career options for the future.

I have been studying Computer Science through the Open University and I am almost at the end of my first year. I should have my degree completed in 3 years. After that, I am looking at doing my PGCE and becoming a secondary school IT teacher.

In theory, this sounds really easy and simple process. I just need a 1st or 2.1 classification on my degree and then move onto a PGCE. But what else do I need to do in between this? Should I get a job as a teaching assistant and do that for the next 2-3 years to gain invaluable experience, or would this not be needed even though I want to be a teacher?

Any advice you can give me is most welcome,

Regards,

Stephen.
    By the time you graduate IT teaching won't be around, it will be computing. Between now and graduating you need to get as much experience in a school as you can. Volunteering, observing etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply.

I'll try and get myself a Teaching Assistant job for the experience. What else could you recommend to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephenwenn)
    Thank you for the reply.

I'll try and get myself a Teaching Assistant job for the experience. What else could you recommend to me?
    You might not be able to work as a teaching assistant whilst doing your degree, depending on the hours you're in at uni. You can just volunteer in schools to get the experience necessary.

Look at the new curriculum that is coming in for computing. Ensure you know programming etc.

ReputationRep:
    You could try getting in touch with local high schools to see if you can get some work experience there alongside your degree. During the final year of my Computer Science degree I did a lot of work with a nearby high school which got me plenty of experience for my application. With the transition to the new curriculum, a lot of schools would benefit from having someone with CS experience helping out.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot give any advice but good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.