Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/uk...00/3631203.stm

A girl gets killed when she falls off a water ride or something.
    Does that put you off going on rides, or at least does it worry you? Have you ever been on a ride where you're pretty sure that the saftey was rubbish?

For my 12th birthday, my cousin took me to a fair, where there was a ride stuck on a wall, which went round and round pretty fast. My cousin was too scared to go on, but I went. First problem was that there was an age restriction of 14 to goo on, but they didn't even ask for my age. Secondly, for safety, there was only this bar, which was pretty far away from your body. During the ride, I put up my hands, but immediately had to put them back onto the bar cos I felt myself slipping down. There was a realy danger of falling off there. Add to that, getting loads of bruises from being whacked around from side to side.
    Mind you, I went on a similar ride, which actually had a safety belt, and it was pretty tame.

ReputationRep:
    I went on one of those Pirate Ship things that go back and forth at a dodgy fair once when I was about 8, and the safety bar was way too far away from me to do anything. I almost fell out but for my cousin grabbing my arm and holding on to me for dear life!

I never go on them anymore however I will go on pretty much any other ride without fearing for my safety.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love scary rides when I was a kid, but as I got older I just sit there not really enjoying myself thinking 'what if.....'. Boring old grown up me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

Does that put you off going on rides, or at least does it worry you? Have you ever been on a ride where you're pretty sure that the saftey was rubbish?

For my 12th birthday, my cousin took me to a fair, where there was a ride stuck on a wall, which went round and round pretty fast. My cousin was too scared to go on, but I went. First problem was that there was an age restriction of 14 to goo on, but they didn't even ask for my age. Secondly, for safety, there was only this bar, which was pretty far away from your body. During the ride, I put up my hands, but immediately had to put them back onto the bar cos I felt myself slipping down. There was a realy danger of falling off there. Add to that, getting loads of bruises from being whacked around from side to side.
    Mind you, I went on a similar ride, which actually had a safety belt, and it was pretty tame.
    Read about that girl. Tis a shame, don't really understand how it could have happened though. All rides i have been on, i have felt that they are pretty safe; apart from this one ride at Blackpool, a rollercoaster which had nothing to keep u in! No safety belts or harness or anything! One could have fallen off it with ease.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go on rides at fairs and never had done, they always seem unsafe...

I feel safe on rides at theme parks, except when there's a technical fault!!!!! or on detonator at thorpe park...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    I used to love scary rides when I was a kid, but as I got older I just sit there not really enjoying myself thinking 'what if.....'. Boring old grown up me
    I'm 18 and still enjoy the thrill of white knuckle or just plain exciting rides. I don't think that I'll ever grow up. Weird thing is that I enjoyed and founf more thrillling the more dangerous form of that fair ride.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone been on Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park? I went last week and because it was sort of raining and cold there was no queue, so we spent all day on Tidal Wave, and got drenched! wohoooooo great fun

I don't understand how that girl fell, but it's pretty sad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Has anyone been on Tidal Wave at Thorpe Park? I went last week and because it was sort of raining and cold there was no queue, so we spent all day on Tidal Wave, and got drenched! wohoooooo great fun

Yeah, it is real sad. A boy got injured as well. I went on tidal wave, and on the bridge as well. You get totally soaked. I once went to alton towers when it was pouring for the whole day. We decided that we were already drenched so any more water e.g from rides wouldn't make any more difference, so we went on thm like normal rides, and splashed around and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Yeah, it is real sad. A boy got injured as well. I went on tidal wave, and on the bridge as well. You get totally soaked. I once went to alton towers when it was pouring for the whole day. We decided that we were already drenched so any more water e.g from rides wouldn't make any more difference, so we went on thm like normal rides, and splashed around and stuff
    Yeah but even though it was cold there were still queues for everything apart from Tidal Wave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I was at Thorpe park last week too...on wed.
    Tidal wave was great...got soaked though.
    My fave had to be Nemesis (sitting at the front) and that Vortex ride impressed me too!
    I'm such a kid.

ReputationRep:
    disneyland paris - space mountain

islands of adventures ( florida ) - the incredible hulk rollercoaster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marina183)
    I was at Thorpe park last week too...on wed.
    Tidal wave was great...got soaked though.
    My fave had to be Nemesis (sitting at the front) and that Vortex ride impressed me too!
    I'm such a kid.
    I went on Monday, I went on Tidal Wave 12 times! We sort of got used to it and then when we were running out to go back in again we'd wait for the other boat thing to come down, but first timers would be caught and get even more wet...

Did the people working there throw a tennis ball at you to catch?

Nemisis Inferno isn't as good as Nemisis at Alton Towers, I think they have the best rides

ReputationRep:
    i remember going to drayton manor (theme park) in year 8/9 and someone going on a rollercoaster with the safety bars that go over your head and down onto your chest (like on most rollercoasters that go upside down)

for some reason the assisstant didnt press them down hard enough at the start so they were loose, he had to hold them down, even through the loop! he promptly nearly **** a brick lol, bloody scary.

ReputationRep:
    The safety bars were down (read his post) just they weren't fully down. The assistant probably just missed it. It happens quite a lot, especially if you're sat next to someone who is a lot bigger (read: fatter) than you.

ReputationRep:
    i dont go on big massive rollercoasters and i always worry about falling out especially when i went on air for the first time and your lying down and there is a drop were you can see part of the nemesis track below and i think i dont wanna fall out of that because the nemesis seats and people riding it will crash into me at 80 mph

ReputationRep:
    I feel totally safe on Theme Park rides. I would even ride Hydro at Oakwood and feel safe. Thousands of people go on these rides and out of them all, only one fatality. I'm thinking that's pretty darn safe! I'd much rather ride a roller coaster than go in a car or on a bus etc.

ReputationRep:
    I knew a traveller who worked in those fairs. He said he regularly completely ignored health and safety regulations, and most of his work involved trying to hide serious 'patchups' from the inspectors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I knew a traveller who worked in those fairs. He said he regularly completely ignored health and safety regulations, and most of his work involved trying to hide serious 'patchups' from the inspectors.

were not talking abotu a fair thou...its a theme park...like alton towers....and a 16yr old just fell out....its scary. the other kid that got injured was hit by her faling body.

i cant imagine what the others on the ride with her must be going through...

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    funny, I had dreams the other night i was on roller coasters and there we're no safety harnsesses and I kept nearly falling out. Then after a while I did and nearly fell to my death but I just started flying (was ace tbh) then the whole thing started again, then it moved onto planes and a whole groupd of ppl we're nearly falling out. Can someone interpret my dream? have i gone mad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)

The girl, Hayley Williams, went to my school (St. Alban's in Pontypool). She was in yr 11, and was friendly with my mates younger brother. I have spent the day with mates who were in her drama group, and whose parents have taught her, it's really devasted the area. I think what makes it worse is that she was with her family on that ride, they saw everything that happened.
    School will be weird on Monday, so many people are affected by this.
    Oakwood is a proper theme park, not some pack-away fair ground, it shouldn't have happened, I think don't think it will cover and will be closed for good.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.