Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you met a guy/girl with the perfect personality who had 'average' looks.... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would it matter at all? A bit? A lot?
    I'M A GUY - No problem at all, they'll become much more attractive because of their personality anyway.
    20.37%
    I'm a guy - Average looks + perfect personality is near perfect. Can't complain!
    11.11%
    I'm a guy - A bit annoying if I'm honest, but it wouldn't be a big issue
    11.11%
    I'm a guy: Sorry, I have to find someone BOTH physcially and personally very attractive. You can't pick and choose
    0%
    I'm a guy: Personality is important, but looks is even more importasnt. Big problem
    0%
    I'm a guy: It's almost all about looks, so obviously personality isn't a big issue at all
    1.85%
    I'M A GIRL - No problem, they'll become much more attractive because of their personality anyway
    24.07%
    I'm a girl - Average looks + perfect personality is near perfect. Can't complain!
    22.22%
    I'm a girl - A bit annoying if I'm honest, but it wouldn't be a big issue
    1.85%
    I'm a girl: Sorry, I have to find someone BOTH physcially and personally very attractive. You can't pick and choose
    5.56%
    I'm a girl: Personality is important, but looks is even more importasnt. Big problem
    0%
    I'm a girl: It's almost all about looks, so obviously personality isn't a big issue at all
    1.85%
    OTHER
    0%

ReputationRep:
    OK, so you meet your perfect man or women in the personality department. Perhaps they're hilarious, kind, moral, ambitious, confident, intelligent, creative, exciting etc. But. The looks department is average. They're a million miles away from your or ideal of high psychical attractiveness. Not even close. However, they are far from ugly. They're just your plain Jane or standard Steve. But does the fact that they have an amazing personality make the 'average' looks become irrelevant. After all, how we see someone sexually may (depending on your viewpoint) radically change depending on the their personality. Poll coming shortly...

ReputationRep:
    Are you really asking this?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't matter whether they were butt ugly, I wouldn't care.

ReputationRep:
    I would have no issue dating them, provided that I am still attracted to them.

Having done my first year at university and been surrounded by some of the most vacuous and narcissistic 'attractive' girls on a day to day basis, you realise that looks aren't everything.

ReputationRep:
    Average would probably be fine, ugly no. That would be a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni Kid)
    OK, so you meet your perfect man or women in the personality department. Perhaps they're hilarious, kind, moral, ambitious, confident, intelligent, creative, exciting etc. But. The looks department is average. They're a million miles away from your or ideal of high psychical attractiveness. Not even close. However, they are far from ugly. They're just your plain Jane or standard Steve. But does the fact that they have an amazing personality make the 'average' looks become irrelevant. After all, how we see someone sexually may (depending on your viewpoint) radically change depending on the their personality. Poll coming shortly...
    Of course you would go with them you aim to get with someone with at least average looks and then if they have a perfect personality then they would be great for you.You would have to be really picky, which would normally require you to have above average looks, not to ask them out and want to start a family with them.It depends on what you mean by average looks though because for a lot of people the average person is ugly because I am quite picky but I am assuming you mean decent looks.I clicked on the top option because I think a good personality can make them more attractive because it sort of generates some chemistry on its own like looks do.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely pursue the relationship further. For me, if a guy makes me laugh, that would make up for any flaw he had - it makes him very attractive to me.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't this a bit obvious. As long as there was some sort of attraction then I definitely would go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Literally wasn't attracted to my boyfriend at all when we first met, and actually the thought of us kissing sort of repulsed me (I was only 14.) BUT he WAS perfect in the personality department (a least for me) and so now, five years later, we are still together and he is the most gorgeous, sexy, amazing guy I have ever met! And all his little imperfections don't matter anymore, an in a way they become perfect. So yes, personality over looks. At the end of the day, looks will eventually go but if you are attracted to someone for their personality and it doesn't change, you will last a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom78)
    Are you really asking this?
    What's the issue? I'm intrigued to see what people and say and to see the gender differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    Isn't this a bit obvious. As long as there was some sort of attraction then I definitely would go for it.
    It might be obvious to you, but other options might seen obvious for others.

ReputationRep:
    Only voter, lol.

IMO, personality creates an illusion on you, like a placebo effect. So, if you think someone is incredibly boring, it's going to make them unattractive. If you think they're fun, then they'll be hot as lava.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Definitely would be happy with that. A lot of attraction is personality anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uni Kid)
    It might be obvious to you, but other options might seen obvious for others.
    Fair enough. Just think you'd have to be really shallow to not date the perfect guy/girl for you just because they were average-looking

ReputationRep:
    If they had average personality (really liked me, had an okay sense of humour but not laugh-out-loud funny, and communicated with me properly, just not intelligent in the first class honours maths at cambridge way) and great looks, I'd definitely go out with them, assuming my life picked up and I had options.

If they had average looks and great personality, I'd have to think (assuming I had options), but right now, beggars can't be choosers applies to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    Fair enough. Just think you'd have to be really shallow to not date the perfect guy/girl for you just because they were average-looking
    Indeed

I hope for this to be a positive thread where people will see that good personality is a lot more desirable than looks.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I find that there's a certain minimum threshold in terms of physical attractiveness and once a guy meets this, then their personality becomes the crucial factor (I can't speak from experience, though). I do find that the more appealing a person's personality, the less their appearance matters in my eyes. Not that it doesn't matter at least a tiny bit; I'd probably find it difficult to go out with someone possessed with blindingly bad looks, but that's just my take on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Only voter, lol.

IMO, personality creates an illusion on you, like a placebo effect. So, if you think someone is incredibly boring, it's going to make them unattractive. If you think they're fun, then they'll be hot as lava.
    A nice thought. And no doubt it happens to some, but lets be realistic here. Dan Osborne (assuming he's not 'famous' - and I use 'famous' loosely) walks into a bar and is dull as dishwater when conversing with girls all night...

...He doesn't suddenly become 'unattractive', and if he goes to plant one on any of the girls, few of them will turn him down when push comes to shove (provided he isn't intellectually disabled)
    Let's be real here.

He'd need to have something wrong with him to (way beyond being 'incredibly boring' - which is subjective anyway, seeing as very few people are any more interesting than anyone else) before girls find him unattractive.

The other way round is much more common though: A person who isn't overly attractive becoming more attractive due to their personality after time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Coward)
    A nice thought. And no doubt it happens to some, but lets be realistic here. Dan Osborne (assuming he's not 'famous' - and I use 'famous' loosely) walks into a bar and is dull as dishwater when conversing with girls all night...

...He doesn't suddenly become 'unattractive', and if he goes to plant one on any of the girls, few of them (if any) will turn him down when push comes to shove (provided he isn't retarded)

Let's be real here.

He'd need to have something wrong with him to (way beyond being 'incredibly boring' - which is subjective anyway, seeing as very few people are any more interesting than anyone else) before girls find him unattractive.

The other way round is much more common though: A person who isn't overly attractive becoming more attractive due to their personality after time.
    Obviously it isn't a black or white statement. A 10/10 with no chat isn't going to instantly become a 4. If someone is extremely attractive, it's going to give off the impression that everything else about them is good. So bad chat is still gonna be decent.

Looks aren't everything, but they're something.

ReputationRep:
    Personality contributes to a persons overall attractiveness. So if I met a guy who was "average" looking but ticked all the right boxes personality wise I'd have no issue at all with dating him. He'd become more and more attractive as I got to know him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.