Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting to really like her...although she has a boyfriend Watch

A new girl just started at my work. We are both the same age, although she is a year behind me as she did a year abroad. She started last week and will be here for two months (so 7 more weeks to go). She wants do a masters and then will hope to work back at my company.

I speak to her as much as I can, although I don't want any rumours going round of me actually fancying her and so I try to limit it, however it's pretty hard. We get on fairly well, she's quite clever and she's got a great personality. With all this and the fact that my friends joke about me fancying her, I'm starting to think that I do like her.

The only annoying thing is....she has a boyfriend.

However, its complicated. She met her boyfriend while she did her year abroad and he lives in Sri Lanka while obviously she lives here. I haven't really asked much how the relationship works with regards to seeing each other (as I don't want to talk about him) but they seem to bundle through. I think he is coming to see her in 7 weeks, after her internship is finished.

I am beginning to really like her and I would like something with her, and it seems that she likes me but has to keep her distance because of her boyfriend. Because of this, she is getting more and more friendly with another intern guy, although he isn't competition as he has a girlfriend. It's hard for me to speak to her on her own as this guy is around and if I get too scared to ask just her to do anything as I don't want things to be weird and if I have to ask her to do something with my mates, she invites this other guy round.

I'm not really sure how to play this as we went out last Friday night and she was very flirty and touching me (my face, arms, etc) and stuff but obviously nothing happened as there were too many other people there. I think I do really like her and I want to try something but I'm not sure how to go or what to do.

Please can you guys give me any ideas/advice.

Thanks

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I didn't put loads up as I need to sleep for work tomorrow but will answer when I get the chance!

ReputationRep:
    Didn't read this, but don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. Dating is a competition. If you think she'll be happier with you then give her the option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could really do with some proper advice anyone, ASAP?

ReputationRep:
    You should grow up and accept she has a boyfriend. You'll have plenty more chances with plenty more girls in your life, and trying to mess up her current relationship (which for all you know she could be very happy in), would be very nasty and would give you a bad reputation. Move on and find a single girl.

ReputationRep:
    Keep it ticking over till the bf has been and gone. Then go for it. In the meantime play it cool and flirt with other women.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would tell the person how I felt about them so then they knew how I honestly felt. But then you'd need to be prepared to accept that the friendship might never be the same due to awkwardness if they didn't feel the same way. But not always. Nothing necessarily has to happen just because you were honest, sometimes it's just good to be open and honest.

(Original post by Old_Simon)
    Keep it ticking over till the bf has been and gone. Then go for it. In the meantime play it cool and flirt with other women.
    I can't do that. He's coming after her internship is over and so she will be gone by then.

ReputationRep:
    I am dating a Sri lankan my self and I'm a white girl ,believe there is no way she will drop him for you,they are better in bed and better than british guys!

ReputationRep:
    Use your head. If I found out that a guy was trying to get with my girlfriend I would destroy him. I would never do it to someone else because it's about respect. Don't be a home wrecker just wait until they break up like a decent human being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael!)
    Use your head. If I found out that a guy was trying to get with my girlfriend I would destroy him. I would never do it to someone else because it's about respect. Don't be a home wrecker just wait until they break up like a decent human being.
    You sound like a very violent human being.

ReputationRep:
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minju)
    This
    No proper man is going to be bothered if the ex bf is a nutter. He just has to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    We'll if your a good guy, then "stealing" her from her boyfriend is obviously not the option, but that doesn't mean you can't express your feelings to her. If you want to keep spending time with her then do so, but once you tell her you like her it will become awkward, so maybe leave that talk for later?
    If you really want to go out with her well then, just hope that you can either 1) Keep in contact with her after she leaves and stay as friends, then wait until they break it off to make your move. or 2) Make her like you more than her current boyfriend.

The only problem with the latter is that if you're happy with taking her away from another guy to be in a relationship with her, you risk the chance of that happening to you in the future because who's to say she won't do the same to you (hopefully she's not like that though) xD

ReputationRep:
    You never know, things might not work out with the guy from SriLanka. Try and stay friends and maybe in the future it will work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A new girl just started at my work. We are both the same age, although she is a year behind me as she did a year abroad. She started last week and will be here for two months (so 7 more weeks to go). She wants do a masters and then will hope to work back at my company.

I speak to her as much as I can, although I don't want any rumours going round of me actually fancying her and so I try to limit it, however it's pretty hard. We get on fairly well, she's quite clever and she's got a great personality. With all this and the fact that my friends joke about me fancying her, I'm starting to think that I do like her.

The only annoying thing is....she has a boyfriend.

However, its complicated. She met her boyfriend while she did her year abroad and he lives in Sri Lanka while obviously she lives here. I haven't really asked much how the relationship works with regards to seeing each other (as I don't want to talk about him) but they seem to bundle through. I think he is coming to see her in 7 weeks, after her internship is finished.

I am beginning to really like her and I would like something with her, and it seems that she likes me but has to keep her distance because of her boyfriend. Because of this, she is getting more and more friendly with another intern guy, although he isn't competition as he has a girlfriend. It's hard for me to speak to her on her own as this guy is around and if I get too scared to ask just her to do anything as I don't want things to be weird and if I have to ask her to do something with my mates, she invites this other guy round.

I'm not really sure how to play this as we went out last Friday night and she was very flirty and touching me (my face, arms, etc) and stuff but obviously nothing happened as there were too many other people there. I think I do really like her and I want to try something but I'm not sure how to go or what to do.

Please can you guys give me any ideas/advice.

Thanks

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I didn't put loads up as I need to sleep for work tomorrow but will answer when I get the chance!

If the girl is Sri lankan leave her there is no way ,her parents will never accept a white man,we have bad stereotypes about them.If she's a white girl go ahead ,you have a little chance

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like angst city that will get you nowhere. Best advice is to back off and look else where. But if you must go for it, act quickly and try to get off with her. I guess there is just a chance you won't get blown out. I tend to agree that dating is a competitive business and where you don't know the boyfriend, you are single and you rate your chances, then realistically it has to be 'alls fair in love and war'

ReputationRep:
    If that was my man I wouldn't even mind going to jail,Sri lankan pride!

(Original post by Old_Simon)
    No proper man is going to be bothered if the ex bf is a nutter. He just has to deal with it.
    No proper man is going to steal another man girl....

Hmm...I was thinking this if I'm honest. But it's hard not to keep thinking about her and I know that just gets me more obsessed.

(Original post by Chandran)
    I am dating a Sri lankan my self and I'm a white girl ,believe there is no way she will drop him for you,they are better in bed and better than british guys!

(Original post by Slk4ever)
    If the girl is Sri lankan leave her there is no way ,her parents will never accept a white man,we have bad stereotypes about them.If she's a white girl go ahead ,you have a little chance
    She's white and I'm Indian.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.