Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm probably a bit bonkers for even considering this, but I was looking to see what other people thought. I've recently completed my LLB and have a legal traineeship lined up already for 2015, after completing my Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Legal Practice (Scottish version of the LPC). The PgDip has about 12-13 contact hours a week but is described as a full-time course. This is all fine and I don't think I'll struggle with any of it and I'm really grateful to the firm that I have a TC with that they have secured the position for me so far in advance.

My end goal is to be an Advocate, and as such I want to do all I can to further my career in litigation. I've noticed just recently that another University in the area does an LLM in Advocacy; which sounds ideal to me. It also gets described as a FT course, but instead of consistent weekly hours there is an intensive weekend of classes once a month and then a dissertation to be written in the summer period of 2015, to be handed in just before I would start my TC.

I'm considering doing both of them simultaneously - the class times don't seem to overlap at all so technically it is doable; though is this allowed? Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm also aware that the fees for each one are around £6500 so it would cost me about £13000 to do both, but I'm not sure if it might be worth it in the long run.

I have also thought about doing the LLM alongside my TC, as it is designed to be done as such (hense the weekend classes), though not sure if this will annoy my TC firm if I tell them that I want to do this as it would require them to give me 1 friday a month off so that I can get to the University for classes. I'm also not sure that the money on my TC would let me do it without any financial support, yet the money from my PT job just now (25 hrs pw) probably would.

Sorry for the rambling - would just be good to know anyones thoughts! xx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bma-x)
    I'm considering doing both of them simultaneously - the class times don't seem to overlap at all so technically it is doable; though is this allowed? Has anyone done anything like this before? I'm also aware that the fees for each one are around £6500 so it would cost me about £13000 to do both, but I'm not sure if it might be worth it in the long run.
    It's not 'allowed' in the sense that universities endorse it, because there's obviously a risk of you spreading yourself too thin and/or running into trouble with the double fee payments. Then again, if you are an organisational genius and you can raise the money somehow, you could probably get away with it if you were to enroll at different universities, as it's unlikely they'd compare records.
    One thing you might want to consider, though, is that while the number of contact hours on the PgDip may be low, you'll probably still be expected to produce and submit written work, so the actual time commitment will be higher. And squeezing that in along with the LLM (which will presumably also involve assignments and exams of some sort) could potentially be quite a strain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bma-x)
    The PgDip has about 12-13 contact hours a week but is described as a full-time course.
    A PGDip is the taught elements of a standard Masters course. As such, your contact hours will form only a small part of your study. The majority of your time will be spent on independent learning - libraries, seminar prep, reading lists and coursework prep. Someone on my Masters struggled to even fit in a part-time job, so there's no way I would think a second course could work alongside the type of commitment that you need to make.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to do a masters module along side my BSc this year and it worked out fine. Don't know if I could have sustained that much effort for the whole year though. Depends how much work you have to bring home from everything you want to do in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how good you are concerning discipline and organization and how experienced you are already with having a heavy program. In addition you really have to think about what you want to achieve? One stellar grade, where you did a lot of additional reading and went to conferences, used every opportunity or sitting the whole time at your desk only doing the most important things from both courses.
    I know students, who studied two things at the same time and got myself a short glimpse of it. It is doable, but distance is often a huge problem, courses/deadlines at the time, simply not enough time (or interest, because one thing is usually more interesting) and the desire not to become a total "hide in your room and learn" person and be tired all the time in the worst case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.