Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Traveling Europe alone - good choice or not? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished university and really want to go traveling however I'm a bit anxious about going alone. Does anyone have any advice. Would be much appreciated.

I haven't traveled much before, especially not alone. Are there ways of finding a travel buddy?
    I can't seem to find anyone who's able to go with me, they're all working or have no money. I'm sure there are people in the same situation as myself.

I want to make the most of the time I have before getting a full time job, want to get cultured, see landmarks and party!!

ReputationRep:
    Deffo keep looking for a travel buddy or get with an organisation who can set it up for you and who can provide a group to go along with you ...keep searching

ReputationRep:
    Europe is one of the easiest places to travel alone. Trust me, you won't find yourself alone as often as you think. You will meet people on your journey, and you can travel with them, and then move on if you get sick of them. There's really no reason you would need someone to travel with, and it'll be a great experience that will really allow you to grow. I say just bite the bullet and go, and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sima1)
    I've just finished university and really want to go traveling however I'm a bit anxious about going alone. Does anyone have any advice. Would be much appreciated.

I haven't traveled much before, especially not alone. Are there ways of finding a travel buddy?
    I can't seem to find anyone who's able to go with me, they're all working or have no money. I'm sure there are people in the same situation as myself.

I want to make the most of the time I have before getting a full time job, want to get cultured, see landmarks and party!!
    Hey, I'm going to be travelling round Europe alone as well. The way I see it, the worst that can happen is I get to see loads of interesting places, even if I don't meet anyone. But there (hopefully) should be loads of other people in the same situation so it shouldn't be too hard to find other people to have fun with.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone makes it sound so easy to around alone but it is a bit scary to think about it you've never done it before. I'm still in the early days of my planning. Hopefully I will feel a bit more confident to go on my own once I organise an actual plan.

It's small things like getting lost that make me worry about going alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sima1)
    Everyone makes it sound so easy to around alone but it is a bit scary to think about it you've never done it before. I'm still in the early days of my planning. Hopefully I will feel a bit more confident to go on my own once I organise an actual plan.

It's small things like getting lost that make me worry about going alone.
    Best thing, especially if it is your first time, is to do as you are doing and have some general plan. That way if you do feel more confident when you are actually out there you can make little changes to your trip.

At the end of the day getting lost isn't going to be the worst thing that could happen to you. Every annoying thing that happens travelling you learn is totally manageable and character building. In over 5 trips I have had I have had an uncomfortable experience being touched up, had all my clothes and toiletries stolen very early on into a trip, been very ill, had to have a long bus journey whilst suffering from diarrhoea, been pushed over and had some of my teeth smashed etc. By the very nature of travelling, as you are eschewing the security of a boring resort holiday in favour of the excitement you get from travelling, you are going to encounter some character building situations. But you only emerge stronger and more resolute from each one and as long as you hold onto your money and passport, you will be fine. All the things that could go wrong are easily outweighed by the amazing people you will meet and the incredible things that you will see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castlemadeofsand)
    Best thing, especially if it is your first time, is to do as you are doing and have some general plan. That way if you do feel more confident when you are actually out there you can make little changes to your trip.

At the end of the day getting lost isn't going to be the worst thing that could happen to you. Every annoying thing that happens travelling you learn is totally manageable and character building. In over 5 trips I have had I have had an uncomfortable experience being touched up, had all my clothes and toiletries stolen very early on into a trip, been very ill, had to have a long bus journey whilst suffering from diarrhoea, been pushed over and had some of my teeth smashed etc. By the very nature of travelling, as you are eschewing the security of a boring resort holiday in favour of the excitement you get from travelling, you are going to encounter some character building situations. But you only emerge stronger and more resolute from each one and as long as you hold onto your money and passport, you will be fine. All the things that could go wrong are easily outweighed by the amazing people you will meet and the incredible things that you will see.
    This post was thought provoking. Thank you for sharing your experiences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    This post was thought provoking. Thank you for sharing your experiences
    My pleasure. Travelling is probably one of the best things that I have done with my life.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that is quite full on! The experience would be amazing and if anything goes wrong it will always turn out to be okay, as long as I have my necessities. There is just so much that you can learn while travelling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.