Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gluten Free Supermarket Options Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am moving to Manchester, UK from NYC (for Uni) and I have a gluten allergy. I usually go to Whole Foods, which has a great GF selection, but there are none near Manchester. Does anyone know any supermarkets - health-focused or otherwise- that have a good number of GF products?

Thanks so much!
    Natalie

ReputationRep:
    Hello Natalie! I'm gluten free as well. The variety over here is really good now. The best supermarkets to go to are Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda. They stock Udis products as well! Marks and Spencers and Waitrose also stock gf food but on a much smaller scale. Also for health focused stores, Holland and Barrett have a pretty decent range, not as large as the supermarkets though.

Feel free to ask my anymore questions!

Felicia

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much felicia!! I love Udis Have you ever done the delivery thing from Tesco's? Is it ok or kind of sketchy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natties)
    thank you so much felicia!! I love Udis Have you ever done the delivery thing from Tesco's? Is it ok or kind of sketchy?
    It is pretty good. Improved a lot recently.

ReputationRep:
    I have used Tesco home delivery before. It's really good and you can get really cheap delivery slots. Also you have more to choose
    from when you order online.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help!! I feel so much better now about it Are there any GF restaurants that you recommend in any city? I'd love to know!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Carluccios is amazing. I dunno about Manchester specifically but there are loads around so might be one near. They might be a bit expensive on a student budget but are worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I live in Manchester and I know my mum buys gluten free bread, pasta and some other things. Just normal supermarkets like Tesco's and Sainsburys

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for helping!! I'll definitely try out Carluccio's- it sounds so great! I feel so much better, like I won't just be eating salad for every meal Thanks again!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for helping!! I'll definitely try out Carluccio's- it sounds so great! I feel so much better, like I won't just be eating salad for every meal Thanks again!!
    If you're looking for palces to eat out most of the big brand name italian places do gluten free pizza bases/pasta now. :yep:

Ask italian even have a breakdown of which parts of different meals contain gluten so for some it's just removing the croutens from the salad but for others it's in the sauce etc so not easy to remove.

http://www.askitalian.co.uk/site/sta...eeNational.pdf

https://www.askitalian.co.uk/site/st...March_2014.pdf
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    If you're looking for palces to eat out most of the big brand name italian places do gluten free pizza bases/pasta now. :yep:

Ask italian even have a breakdown of which parts of different meals contain gluten so for some it's just removing the croutens from the salad but for others it's in the sauce etc so not easy to remove.

http://www.askitalian.co.uk/site/sta...eeNational.pdf

https://www.askitalian.co.uk/site/st...March_2014.pdf
    Ask is the worst place I've been to. They somehow managed to make a pizza that was simultaneously burnt and undercooked. Even boris wouldn't eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Ask is the worst place I've been to. They somehow managed to make a pizza that was simultaneously burnt and undercooked. Even boris wouldn't eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My gf went there with her mother(who is coeliac) last week and they all had awesome food. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you two so much for your help!! Do you have a chain called Pizzeria Uno in the UK? They had, by far, the grossest GF pizza ever! :P I feel a lot better about moving. I wish I could help you with something in return!!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you two so much for your help!! Do you have a chain called Pizzeria Uno in the UK? They had, by far, the grossest GF pizza ever! :P I feel a lot better about moving. I wish I could help you with something in return!!
    Nope, have never heard of it.

Just stick around the site and join in with discussions and help others when you can! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I am moving to Manchester, UK from NYC (for Uni) and I have a gluten allergy. I usually go to Whole Foods, which has a great GF selection, but there are none near Manchester. Does anyone know any supermarkets - health-focused or otherwise- that have a good number of GF products? ... Are there any GF restaurants that you recommend in any city? I'd love to know!
    Hey! I'm hopefully headed to Manchester too this year, what are you studying? I used to have a wheat intolerance but I'm much better now. Back when it was a problem, the selection sucked! But after getting better I've noticed a massive improvement in what they offer and I stil eat gf sometimes if my stomach plays up. I've found that most big supermarkets (Tesco, Asda, Morrinsons, Sainsburys, Co-op) do have 'Free From' (or named otherwise) section including own brand and big brand stuff so I wouldn't worry. I've not had a proper look around Manchester for shops but those ones are big chains so will definitely be there somewhere (I know there's a Sainsburys in Fallowfield).

As for eating out there's only one that I know of and would definitely recommend: Bistro 1847. It's expensive so it's probably more of an 'occasion' place but everything is vegetarian, cooked to order and amazing, plus they do gf options on most things. It's an 'experience' type of food place but I've enjoyed every single time

...Domino's also does gf options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyyoufools)
    Hey! I'm hopefully headed to Manchester too this year, what are you studying? I used to have a wheat intolerance but I'm much better now. Back when it was a problem, the selection sucked! But after getting better I've noticed a massive improvement in what they offer and I stil eat gf sometimes if my stomach plays up. I've found that most big supermarkets (Tesco, Asda, Morrinsons, Sainsburys, Co-op) do have 'Free From' (or named otherwise) section including own brand and big brand stuff so I wouldn't worry. I've not had a proper look around Manchester for shops but those ones are big chains so will definitely be there somewhere (I know there's a Sainsburys in Fallowfield).

As for eating out there's only one that I know of and would definitely recommend: Bistro 1847. It's expensive so it's probably more of an 'occasion' place but everything is vegetarian, cooked to order and amazing, plus they do gf options on most things. It's an 'experience' type of food place but I've enjoyed every single time

...Domino's also does gf options.
    I'm studying Computer Science w/ Business. What are you studying? Have you received your housing yet? I'm staying in Victoria Hall. Thanks for your recommendations! I am glad you have grown out of your wheat intolerance. I miss cake :P I'm so glad you told me about Bistro 1847. My sister is vegan and GF (her stomach is just terrible) and I'm glad I know at least one place we can go to for dinner

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.