Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confusion over police reprimand from '07 and university situation Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello....

I am a current student at university just finished my second year, and so I am looking forward or graduating with a decent degree classification and going onto further study, after having worked very hard.

Now, I kind of expect people here to jump to conclusions here and assume I'm some liar or have been deliberately dishonest, but it all honesty I had always not really thought much of it. As I thought it irrelevant given the legal context of my situation.

Basically, in 2006/7 (aged 16/17) I was issued with a reprimand by the police for an offence I committed when I was 15 for "...Burglary in a place other than a dwelling" with intent to steal/trespassing. Now, of course this sounds horrendous and I make no excuse for my behaviour, except for, I was young and misled and had many issues (fathers death as a youth).

Normally this would carry a prison sentence, however, since it was a first offence I got a reprimand, which of course is not technically a conviction, therefore is not covered by the ROA act (rehabilitation of the offenders act), but because of this and the fact the offence is on a list agreed by parliament (non-filtered offences) I have to declare it.

Of course, at the time of applying for uni I never realised this (at the time) and I have never declared it to the uni. Whether or not I am breaking any legal code is debatable, but certainly breaking uni policy. I have just checked the policy and apparently I was supposed to declare my reprimand regardless or nature of offence. I'm now a third year student and I feel if I now declare it I will be kicked out of university.

Any advise?

I am in need of some legal advise regarding this...but can't find any specific advice. I've been In touch with Nacro and the like but they seem even more uninformed, and seem to be sketchy in there advise.

ReputationRep:
    Were you at any point during the application process actually asked if you had any convictions/offences? If No, then don't worry about it.
    Are you doing a course that required a police disclosure/check? No, then don't worry about it.
    Was a violent offence or involved drugs? No, then don't worry about it.

You were 15. You have clearly learnt your lesson and are a reformed character. You pose no risk to the University. You don't need to 'declare' it now. You are happily enrolled at Uni and doing well. Concentrate on that. Move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Were you at any point during the application process actually asked if you had any convictions/offences? If No, then don't worry about it.
    Are you doing a course that required a police disclosure/check? No, then don't worry about it.
    Was a violent offence or involved drugs? No, then don't worry about it.

You were 15. You have clearly learnt your lesson and are a reformed character. You pose no risk to the University. You don't need to 'declare' it now. You are happily enrolled at Uni and doing well. Concentrate on that. Move on.
    Hello sorry for my delay in replying here....

I've just registered for my third year of university and just recently read the policy on my university's website it states in verbatim: "applicants are encouraged to disclose information regarding relevant past or pending criminal convictions"........also, "Convictions that are spent (in accordance with ROA 1974), cautions and bind overs(important part in italics) are not considered to be relevant and should not be revealed unless the professional requirements of the course expressively require disclosure".

I may be right in thinking this but, because, technically a reprimand is a caution it shouldn't really count as relevant however I do believe reprimands are not covered by the ROA therefore are not considered spent (therefore unspent). So does this make it a disclosable thing or not?

I'm studying a creative subject so don't require a DBS check, however, it's just the moral story of it. If that is what is detailed in their general admissions for students policy- then I guess I've broken their code. I can't risk telling them now, what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    For heaven's sake stay silent.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    It's a complete non-issue. You were given a reprimand, not a criminal record, it's probably no longer even on your records. Your University policy is advisory and you aren't seeking a DBS check (which you'd get). Quit panicking over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    You even read the policy yourself...

Just get on with your studies mate.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Hello sorry for my delay in replying here....

I've just registered for my third year of university and just recently read the policy on my university's website it states in verbatim: "applicants are encouraged to disclose information regarding relevant past or pending criminal convictions"........also, "Convictions that are spent (in accordance with ROA 1974), cautions and bind overs(important part in italics) are not considered to be relevant and should not be revealed unless the professional requirements of the course expressively require disclosure".

I may be right in thinking this but, because, technically a reprimand is a caution it shouldn't really count as relevant however I do believe reprimands are not covered by the ROA therefore are not considered spent (therefore unspent). So does this make it a disclosable thing or not?

I'm studying a creative subject so don't require a DBS check, however, it's just the moral story of it. If that is what is detailed in their general admissions for students policy- then I guess I've broken their code. I can't risk telling them now, what do I do?
    It says there clearly you do not have to disclose it unless the professional requirements of the course expressly require it. Unless your course does (which is unlikely - it's normally things like teaching, nursing, medicine, social work and law that require it) then you do not have to disclose it so you haven't broken anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.