The Student Room Group

Any experienced web/program developers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harjot
Just wanted to point out that HTML and CSS are not languages.

I'm pretty sure that HTML is a Laguage

Spoiler

If i'm wrong, please explain, i'm fairly new to web design
Reply 21
Original post by ProppaNutty

Spoiler

In fact, HTML is not a programming language!
It defines the structure of webpages and it determines how data is displayed online. What you’re looking at right now is HTML code, read and interpreted by your browser. But this doesn’t make HTML a programming language.
The web browser then reads the HTML, which tells it things like which parts are headings, which parts are paragraphs, which parts are links, etc.
Generally, a programming language allows you to describe some sort of process of doing something, whereas HTML is a way of adding context and structure to text.
I hope you have understood my explanation.

=)
Reply 22
Original post by Zenarthra
Oh looking smart btw.
I just wanted to know, what does it take to make things like mobile apps, is it really difficult?
Im guessing you wouldn't be able to manage on your own?

Thanks!

Not at all. Mobile apps are pretty easy to start building at the moment, hence why there has been such a boom. All you'll really need to do is download Eclipse with the Android Development Tools plugin and start learning Java and the Android SDK.

Spoiler

Generally, languages that are used to make representing data structures easier for humans, like HTML, XML, YAML, JSON, etc., are not considered programming languages as you are not really programming anything (the programming is done for you, in the form of the interpreter that converts the human-readable structure to a machine-readable one).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by CJKay
Not at all. Mobile apps are pretty easy to start building at the moment, hence why there has been such a boom. All you'll really need to do is download Eclipse with the Android Development Tools plugin and start learning Java and the Android SDK.

Generally, languages that are used to make representing data structures easier for humans, like HTML, XML, YAML, JSON, etc., are not considered programming languages as you are not really programming anything (the programming is done for you, in the form of the interpreter that converts the human-readable structure to a machine-readable one).

You can download an already prepared environment (Eclipse ADT + Android SDK)
There are some tutorials on youtube.com, I started with applications from a video. I just do not refer you because it's in Portuguese!
Reply 24
Original post by felipe87
You can download an already prepared environment (Eclipse ADT + Android SDK)
There are some tutorials on youtube.com, I started with applications from a video. I just do not refer you because it's in Portuguese!

Ah, I did wonder where that got to. I'm used to installing everything as a plugin as ARM DS-5 took over my Eclipse already heh.
Reply 25
Original post by CJKay
Ah, I did wonder where that got to. I'm used to installing everything as a plugin as ARM DS-5 took over my Eclipse already heh.

No trouble, I just posted to help him. I think it's easier to who will start now.
Furthermore, he can choose the best option. =)
Reply 26
No trouble, I just posted to help him. I think it's easier to who will start now.
Furthermore, he can choose the best option. =)

Original post by CJKay

I think the best thing about programming is that you dont need to take a university course to study the language you have chosen in a greater depth, would you guys agree?
Reply 27
I think the best thing about programming is that you dont need to take a university course to study the language you have chosen in a greater depth, would you guys agree?

Definitely. Any other degree and I wouldn't have a chance at a job with my grades! :lol:
Reply 28
Original post by CJKay
Definitely. Any other degree and I wouldn't have a chance at a job with my grades! :lol:

Definitely.
Here in Brazil, for example, programmers don't have a syndicate, because isn't a regularized job.
Is common a teenager (with 14 or 15 years) know a little about programming. Some programming better than graduates.

I believe it to be so in others countries. There are many ways for learning, mainly online: blogs, sites, videos, forums, community, tutorials, etc.
Reply 29

Absolutely true (definitely not the "best thing about programming" though); however, I studied theoretical computer science and I believe it gives me a much greater depth of understanding of the work I do.

Anyway, to answer the original question - I'm a senior-level C#.Net developer at a web development agency. Technology stack used is typically the usual HTML, CSS, JS plus the MS stack: C#, ASP.NET (MVC), MS SQL Server.

It doesn't take a certain amount of time to "fully learn" a programming language - it takes thousands of hours of programming and studying to become an expert in a language and you never stop learning it. Especially when those languages are continually developing themselves. Even once you know the language inside-out (which, if you think you do, you probably don't), programming and software engineering are skills - you never truly master them, you just continually get better (as long as you are studying and ensuring you do get better - it's entirely possible to develop bad habits, not understand what you're doing properly and actually get worse).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Mid level developer.
.net stack: c#, vb.net, HTML,CSS,JavaScript,asp.net, ms SQL server, wpf.
I do a mix of web app and desktop app development.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow great explanation thanks!
So you didnt even take a course? :redface:

I didn't no, if you enjoy that sort of thing and have the motivation to learn it you don't really need one. That said, it does help speed your learning a lot if you have a mentor/tutor to take the errors you can't solve to.
In fact, HTML is not a programming language!
It defines the structure of webpages and it determines how data is displayed online. What you’re looking at right now is HTML code, read and interpreted by your browser. But this doesn’t make HTML a programming language.
The web browser then reads the HTML, which tells it things like which parts are headings, which parts are paragraphs, which parts are links, etc.
Generally, a programming language allows you to describe some sort of process of doing something, whereas HTML is a way of adding context and structure to text.
I hope you have understood my explanation.

=)

It's not a programming language but the question wasn't specifically regarding programming languages. It's a markup language, but a language non the less.
Reply 33
Original post by hannah4225
It's not a programming language but the question wasn't specifically regarding programming languages. It's a markup language, but a language non the less.

HyperText Markup Language

In fact, HTML is a language. It's classified like markup language. Reason has already been explained.
I really thought it was understood the concept of language.
I thought the question was: HTML is a programming language?
So, answer: No, is a markup language.
ProppaNutty, ok now?
In fact, HTML is a language. It's classified like markup language. Reason has already been explained.
I really thought it was understood the concept of language.
I thought the question was: HTML is a programming language?
So, answer: No, is a markup language.
ProppaNutty, ok now?

Capisco
Reply 35
Original post by CJKay

Man, I hate Eclipse. Coming from a Delphi background which had a tremendously rich IDE, Eclipse felt like notepad with a few convenience options. Switched over to IntelliJ, it is pretty awesome.

Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Harjot
Man, I hate Eclipse. Coming from a Delphi background which had a tremendously rich IDE, Eclipse felt like notepad with a few convenience options. Switched over to IntelliJ, it is pretty awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't stand eclipse, but my personal favourite is visual studio

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Harjot

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like my Eclipse! :tongue:
But I use to Java Web and Android.
So, I cannot express my opinion about eclipse for Delphi.. :^_^:
What web designing languages do you know?
How long did it take you to learn each of them?
How useful are they and what are they useful for?
Can you recommend which books to purchase in order to learn these languages thoroughly?

What programming languages do you know?
How long did it take you to learn each of them?
How useful are each of them and what particular job do they occupy?
Can you recommend any books?

Much appreciated thanks!

PHP,HTML,CSS,JavaScript(JQuery),XML and Perl ( Though I have dabbled in lisp )
In terms of 'learning' any of them it's relatively quick. Although I actively use all of them I don't feel that I have mastered any (Disregarding HTML,CSS as these are merely markup/non-logical languages)

I have had 2+ years experience with PHP but am consistently learning new things. I have recently been working with ioc containers and am having to refactor a huge project I started a very long time ago with roughly 100,000 lines. Even now however I am still learning new things with this language. Learning a language never stops, I have assumed you mean to reach the point at which you're competent in writing with the language.

I can't be bothered to go through my experience in every single language.

Programming languages ( C#, C, C++ ) Very active with C#

Though, I have used languages such as Java, ActionScript, Python and some assembly languages ( Though I am not fluent with them to any extent )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by BridgetLaLa
Hi everyone,
I am in need of a PHP developer. Get in touch if you are interested. It is a simple site - users are to sign in (via FB) and then can post and comment on posts. That's it!

I would, but I'm not too good at php

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending