Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I resit some subjects? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I underperformed greatly for my IB exams and got results that were much worse than expected. I was predicted a 37 but now I have a 33... The subjects I did worse than expected in were Maths SL, Chem HL, Bio HL and Business HL. Now, for Bio, Chem and Business I did quite badly in the IA but at the same time I didn't put in as much effort as I needed to for the exams. For example, I didn't do a single past paper for Bio, chem or maths. I also started my revision very late like 2 or 3 weeks before the exams. It's just that my time management is absolutely horrendous.

My offer for my firm university was 38 points and for my insurance it was 30 points. So I CAN just go to my insurance but I really think that I am capable of doing much better. That's why I want to do the resits in November for maths, chem, bio and business so that I can go to my first choice university. The grades I got were 5, 4, 5 and 5 respectively and that is with minimal effort. Should I resit those subjects? For anyone wondering my first choice was UCL and second choice was University of Manchester and both for engineering.

Incidentally, the offer for Manchester is only low because I applied for engineering with an integrated foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    If your time managment is horrendous and you don't study until the last minute you'll probably achieve results in your first year of university that are less good than you think you can achieve. There will be more distractions at university. A gap year and a job would be a good idea for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm nine marks from a 6 in Biology, six marks from a 6 in Maths, one mark from a 5 in Chemistry and seven marks from a 6 in Business. If I study really hard for my resits do you think my chances of increasing my current grades to these grades is high?? I'd also preferably want a 6 in Chemistry instead of a 5.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you would be capable of reaching a 38 by re-sitting? Considering you said you only studied 3 weeks before your exams and you were predicted a 37, it might be worth a try if you are willing to study much earlier before your re-sits. If not, I would say that Manchester is still a good University .
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioclops)
    So I underperformed greatly for my IB exams and got results that were much worse than expected. I was predicted a 37 but now I have a 33... The subjects I did worse than expected in were Maths SL, Chem HL, Bio HL and Business HL. Now, for Bio, Chem and Business I did quite badly in the IA but at the same time I didn't put in as much effort as I needed to for the exams. For example, I didn't do a single past paper for Bio, chem or maths. I also started my revision very late like 2 or 3 weeks before the exams. It's just that my time management is absolutely horrendous.

My offer for my firm university was 38 points and for my insurance it was 30 points. So I CAN just go to my insurance but I really think that I am capable of doing much better. That's why I want to do the resits in November for maths, chem, bio and business so that I can go to my first choice university. The grades I got were 5, 4, 5 and 5 respectively and that is with minimal effort. Should I resit those subjects? For anyone wondering my first choice was UCL and second choice was University of Manchester and both for engineering.

Incidentally, the offer for Manchester is only low because I applied for engineering with an integrated foundation year.
    You might find our guide to IB retakes and resits helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. All responses have been very helpful. However, does anybody how the application process will be for people doing the November Resits and want to get into university in September of the following year? Would I apply with the predicted grades I got at the end of Year 12 or get my results from the resits and then apply? And would the application deadlines be different for us folks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ioclops)
    Thanks. All responses have been very helpful. However, does anybody how the application process will be for people doing the November Resits and want to get into university in September of the following year? Would I apply with the predicted grades I got at the end of Year 12 or get my results from the resits and then apply? And would the application deadlines be different for us folks?
    The application deadlines are no different. You may find that the leading universities would want more points from a resit candidate, check this before you make any final decisions on where to apply.

I should have said that there is nothing wrong with the Manchester course or Manchester as a university, but it sounds as though extra maturity would be beneficial for you.

When are the November resit results available? If it's before the application deadline then better to wait.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.